HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:53 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers bud, but you haven't seen her up close all being well tomorrow will be the day!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Last edited by trumps; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,690 Posts
Good luck. If she flies as good as she looks, she will fly well indeed. Well done.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,884 Posts
Awesome Craig, good luck with the maiden

Al
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Make me a proper Spitfire!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
1,016 Posts
She looks very very good!!!! Fantastic work

Good luck with the maiden Craig
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:03 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks guys, fingers crossed
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
412 Posts
What a gorgeous looking plane! Can't wait to see pic's of her in the air.
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
A real standout model, well done.
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,341 Posts
Drop dead gorgeous! I am definitely looking forward to some inflights.

Best of luck to you with the maiden,

Paul
Longhorne is online now Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:33 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Well.... i t looks like i had better get my backside in to gear and start Pete's article, because yes he has done it again!!!
Got to the field early this morning and put a couple of flights in with the Pfalz, Pup, and 109, once the thumbs were tuned the range check was done on the Heinkel .
i took it for a walk to the other side of the field because there was no way i was going to risk a down wind takeoff as the wind had started to pick up. Controls were double checked and with all ok i gave her the gun. she took off in about 10m, suprising the heck out of me, a nice climbout and circuits as i walked back to the flightline. she flew very nicely straight from the getgo, with 2 clicks of right aileron being all that was required, although this may be dialed when i get to fly her in calm air. CoG felt good, rudder and elevator were perfect for nice scale like flying, ailerons were a bit twitchy, but throws seemed in keeping with the type. no changes in attitude throughout the throttle range, so thrust line is fine, most of the flight was done at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. nothing flashy was tried, just wanted to see that she flew straight. after 5 minutes throttle was cut to about 1/3 and she decended nicely for a cross wind landing, (didn't want to risk landing into the breeze and towards myself and the flightline) flaired her at about a foot high and she settled aboulutely perfectly with a slightly tail down attitude and about a 20m rollout. the battery took about 1400mah on the charger, this wasn't bad after the range and power checks, plus the flight. the guys got some bits of the maiden on video, but missed the landing unfortunately, such is life and i was greatful that they had a crack for me, Arlo kindly took the photos below using my not so great camera, cheers bud! Post flight checkes showed the tensioning wire between the gear legs lost tension when i landed, and will be relaced with some elastic in future, this and some expo for the ailerons was all that was found wanting, temps were acceptable with the motor being the warmest component at about 40deg C.
got another 2 flights in with her, the ailerons lost their twitchiness with the expo being added, she loops from level at full power, and i did a rather nasty barrelly roll ( have to work on that)
All in all she is a fantastic flyer, handles a bit of wind no problem, and landings are absolutely beautiful, haven't tried the flaps yet, they definately aren't needed, and are only there because i wanted them as an option.
i will post the vid of the maiden after some editing, and the subsequent flights as the guys put them up on utube.
Congratulations Peter,you have designed another beauty!

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Congratulations!

Great looking plane and great job on the build. Glad to hear it flies as well as it looks.

This will probably be my next build - love the lines of this plane.
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Congrats on your maiden she is a fantastic flier and the greased landings were a treat, it was an absolute pleasure to share the sky with you with my HS123

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:34 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Craig,
Congratulations mate, a lovely looking model that sounds as if you're very happy with how she flies. There's no doubt that she looks the part.
May need to fake a few flying shots, although a couple of those you posted don't look too bad. I'm just not sure they're quite sharp enough to keep the editor happy.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:04 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Congrats on the maiden and a great build!
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:13 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Great work Craig - I've watched your build over the months and didn't really expect a different outcome Peter must be getting rather used to ".....a touch of right trim and she was flying perfectly..."
Thanks for a great build thread and a good-looking model

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:39 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Congrats!!! Are all those planes scratchbuilds?
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook