Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Beautiful work! I want one. Do they come in black?
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:17 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,371 Posts
RIP Old Faithful .... Hmmmmm something in that cause my Hellcat had a similar demise recently

Maybe the Boomerang can be reborn.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:21 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
No rebirth by me, it was on a suicide mission from the start after annoying me, the flight was only ever going to finish one way, just a matter of how many power dives it would survive until something failed! Splinta is going to rebuild her and put it back into action, she will suit his flying style perfectly, spins like a a washing machine!
Charles, they will come in any colour ya want mate
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:15 PM
Perth WA
Joined Feb 2007
1,037 Posts
Beautiful work Craig, hope to see her in the flesh at some point.
Modelholic is offline Find More Posts by Modelholic
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Absolutely beautiful ! Great job!
A gift from me
He-51 on Bulgarian service !
Durendal is offline Find More Posts by Durendal
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:50 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks Simon and Durendal, that is a fantastic photo, the best i have seen of the type!

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:03 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
ran some power tests this arvo and the numbers look like this

4S 3300 pack 12 x 6 prop 609W @ 39A, roughly 110W/lb with a weight of 5.5lb just as a guide. ridiculous, wouldn't dream of running this setup!

3S 4400 pack 12 x 6 prop 378W @ 34A roughly 68W/lb, roughly 68W/lb. plenty of power but not over the top, should make for a good setup.

was going to try with 2S but figured the pitch speed might be a bit low with the current prop for comfortable flying with some reserve. i will order a couple of 3S3300ish packs and see how she goes.

Craig

just ordered 2 of these, 3S3000 20c jobbies, at 240g approx should be perfect for me.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8851
Last edited by trumps; Oct 09, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:24 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
The 3S setup does sound about right. The 54" SPAD does really well with 320W (5lb).

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:27 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
3S sounds good to me mate. 4S only sounds suitable for those requiring a vertical take off He-51. I remember what my Ryan's Daughter was like on less than 100 watts/lb. Slam open the throttle and it was instantly airborne. Had plenty of reserve power though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:03 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
hooked up the elevator push rod, and rudder pull/pull, which is the usual plastic coated beading wire and crimps cut from brass tube. the radio gear access hatch is secured with a couple of countersunk screws which anchor into a couple of 3/16 rails in the fuse.
i am not much chop at decking out cockpits so this one is going to be very basic, just the top half of the instrument panel which was made out of some .0020" styrene card glued to some 1mm balsa sheet. the gauge bezelswere cut from styrene sheet and glued in position, the gauge faces are just ones downloaded from the www.com, scaled to suit, cutout and glued in with a drop of canopy glue on top of them which when dry is the instrument glass.

Craig
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
3S sounds good to me mate. 4S only sounds suitable for those requiring a vertical take off He-51. I remember what my Ryan's Daughter was like on less than 100 watts/lb. Slam open the throttle and it was instantly airborne. Had plenty of reserve power though.

Pete
And here I thought I was the only one who flew the Ryan's Daughter vertical Was really exciting for a few seconds. Then I changed motor and battery and had a grand time with it.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
Thanks Simon and Durendal, that is a fantastic photo, the best i have seen of the type!

Cheers
Craig
I have two more pictures for this fighter
In 1937, 12 Heinkel He.51 aircraft entered in service in Royal Bulgarian Air Force!
Durendal is offline Find More Posts by Durendal
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:03 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
The day of reckoning -1

finished the last little bits and bobs, made up the aileron and flap pushrods, the aileron ones are music wire 'Z' bent at one end and Sullivan metal clevis's soldered at the surface end. the lower wing strap was fitted and secured.
i bent some eyelets from the craft store and secured them in the lower wing root section of the fuse with some CA, these are the anchor points for some of the rigging wires. the rigging was then done using the usual beading wire, and crimps. the spreader bars are just bamboo kebab sticks, they are held in position with a lashing of sewing cotton wicked with CA.
The 2 MG 17's are just bits of evergreen tubing, drilled to represent the cooling jacket, a thin piece of brass tube was cut and glued over the muzzle end, as were the flash suppressors which are pies cut from the end of plastic pippets.

time to balance the beast... oh dear!!!! the pack is mounted as far forward as possible and 240g, 8.46oz had to be added to get the 65mm CoG, this shocked me a bit as i was hoping that with the longer nose of the type it would be more forgiving in this department. we have a RTF weight of 5.5lb.

Craig
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:30 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,371 Posts
Mate, I love the work you have put in and I am not kidding it is a work of art congratulations on the job well done , when do you think the maiden will be ....... tomorrow maybe

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog