HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,241 Posts
Very nice markings. I also prefer painted markings. Just for future reference, according to Dave Platt the standard for Luftwaffe crosses was the width of the white portion of the crosses on the fuselage sides and the wing bottoms was 1/8th of the cross overall height. The width of the white portion of the crosses on the wing tops was 1/20th of the cross overall height. There were, of course, individual variations.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers guys, getting closer by the day. Pat the weather over this side is usually best in the winter for flying, Perth cops a very strong easterly wind in the mornings, and it changes to an often stronger souwesterly ( the Fremantle Doctor ) in the afternoon of the spring/summer months, and as usual the wind gods tend to mock me by saving the still air for when i am up on site at work at this stage i figure that it will be a couple of weeks before maiden time anyway.
Cheers for the info Larry, as you say there are inconsistencies, and the formative days of the Luftwaffe seem to be full of them, i scoured through a lot of the photographs on the web, suprisingly there are more pics of Heinkels in Spanish markings than German, especially considering the Luftwaffe was one of Adolf's new toys and he was dead keen on showing it off! anyway nearly every photo of the type in German markings has different crosses, in the end i just went with what i figured looked best Below are some links to photos showing some of the variations, usually you can count on the Germans for order and precision, they must have been having an off year!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/7585396522/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/7585396682/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/7585396756/

in the end i figured that i would just go with the one below that i found on
Wings Pallete which supposedly was supposedly operated by
2./JG 132 Richthofen who were the first unit supplied with the type.

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:12 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,689 Posts
Looks fantastic. Great job on the graphics. Looking forward to seeing her all together.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks Jim.
the windscreen was made from some clear plastic from a fruit juice bottle, with the framing out of evergreen 'C' channel, and 'I' beam, the frame painted silver, and then glued in position with canopy glue.
the exhaust stubs were vacformed from the balsa form i made previously, the two halves of each were trimmed, gaps filled, and painted. to mount the stubs 3/16 holes were drilled into the fuse with larger holes counter sunk 1/4" in. the stubs then had a short length of 3/16" aluminum tube glued into each stub which will then be glued into the matching holes in the fuse. the 2 center stubs on each side have a piece of carbon tube in place of the ali tube these are longer and go right through to the center section of the battery bay, these will locate through blocks on the under side of the battery cover to hold it in position.
lots of little things to do still, but slipped all the big bits together for a looksee, nothing was screwed down hense the small gaps where the struts locate in the wings.

Craig
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:04 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,457 Posts
Oh my! That is so beautiful. Wow.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:32 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Wow....
Great work Craig!
-Reuben

(and on Bathurst day)
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:43 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Very nice Craig - the exhausts do the job

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:14 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Guys,
Reuben, mate i have not followed the V8's since Lightning Larry Perkins retired, the bloke was a dead set champion! might start to follow them again next year seeing as more manufacturers are getting involved, makes things much more interesting when the local product is up against some real competition i think, i miss the glory days of the 80's and 90's when Aussie tintop racing was at it's best!

Craig
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:11 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
472 Posts
Wow. That is one beautiful build/bird. Well done! Cant wait for the maiden and video.
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:15 AM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
747 Posts
Awesome work Craig! what a looker...

Stephen
nytjadens is offline Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:09 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks darook, and Stephen, i am looking forward to the big day myself, a mate of mine down at the club Capt Biggles has kindly offered to film the maiden for me when the time comes.

Question for Peter, i just made the brass WM strap that secures the lower wing, i was wanting to know if the two center screws that secure it to the fuselage are really required? the reason being that with the wings in place and screws at either end of the WM strip the wings can't go anywhere, and i am not overly keen on the screws in the center possibly chaffing any servo wiring in the center section. this area in the fuselage is the prime location for recievers and the associated servo wiring. your thoughts?

Cheers
Craig
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:37 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Absolutely beautiful what else can I say, looking forward to seeing her in the air, maybe we can get the HS123 up as well after your maiden.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,758 Posts
Now that, mate, is looking really spiffy. I love the panel detail.

Those screws are there to prevent the strap going missing, rather than anything else. If you don't intend to dismantle her, leave them out - or leave the strap attached to one wing so you can't 'leave it at home'.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Keeps getting better and better......

Wonderful work. Will be a pleasure to see fly.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:20 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks Pete, i have only gone lightly with the panel lines, you have to get pretty close to see them but i didn't want to over do them. Cool as regarding the screws for WM, just wanted to be sure before i disgarded them.

Thanks Bill, and Shaun. will be cool to see the 123 up there, BTW i finally after nearly 5 years killed the Boomy today in the name of science and fun, specked her out and power dove her straight down to see if i could discover the V-max, survived the first 2 pulling out about 2' off the deck, 3rd time she flicked into a lunatic spin when i went to pull out Splinter is now the proud owner of a slightly second hand CAC Boomerang!

Cheers
Craig
Last edited by trumps; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:29 AM.