SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
have not had a great deal of time to play with the Heinkel so far this break, i have made some progress with some of the smaller jobs though.
my pins and plugs turned up so that i could make my servo leads for the top wing.
i wanted to make the leads from the fuse to top wing as discrete as possible but still be relatively easily disassemble it, a slot was cut in the underside of the CS adjacent to each of the rear cabaine locating points, the slot is shaped to take a female servo lead socket. servo wire was fed through these and routed through the wing to the servos and a female socket was pinned at both ends.
2 small slots were made in the fuse sheeting next to the rear cabaine mount locations, leads were again routed through them and a male plug put at each end.
all of the stuts were clad in hard balsa after having their brass mounting tabs soldered, 1/16 for the cabaines, and 1/8 for the interplane, these were then shaped, with channels being cut along side the music wire core of the rear cabaines when completed the leads will be run through these channels and some painted tape placed over the top to enclose and conceal them as much as possible. the struts were then given a dose of spray putty, final sanded and painted.
hopefully tomorrow i will be able to pick up a reciever and test my servos, then i can cover the top wing.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:56 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Picked up an AR7600 yesterday, bound her up, and set up the mixes required to get the aileron/flap combo working, also using one of HK's little servo reversing/speed reducing units to get both of the flap servos travelling ing the required direction and at a reduced speed.
with all the electrickery functioning as required i took to the top wing adding some balsa rails for the servo covers to mount to, and also added a strip of 1/8 x 3/16 balsa along the balsa rib adjacent to the servo bay so it would not be inclined to bow as the covering was shrunk.
the top wing was covered center section first, followed by the outer sections. i would like to have gotten the wings doped and ready for paint, but like the hammer fisted clutz that i am knocked over my jar of 50/50 dope thinner mix, and while getting that sorted knocked one of the lower wings off my painting table which hit the deck and broke one of the servo bay ribs! after adding some new profanities to the english language, and cleaning up the spill i repaird the broken rib and patched the underside of the covering where the surgery was done.
next break i will get the doping and painting done if i can find a hobby shop with some dope thinners, bloody things shelves are stacked to the roof with bloody ARFs and little all else, finding Butyrate dope thinners around here is like finding hens teeth!

Craig
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,778 Posts
Those wings look great Craig - I use standard laquer thinners for dope. Not sure if it's the right thing but it seems to work.
What concerns me about our hobby shops now is balsa and ply seem to be way down the priority list! But the shelves are covered in big shiny boxes........I guess even hobby shops have to be profitable!

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Wonderful build there Craig!!!

A wee bit more involved than my Stahlwerk

I feel your pain on the dope spill, a few weeks ago I dumped an almost full quart can of Polycrylic finish on the floor in my garage---there goes 20 bucks

Keep up the great work.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Bill, it really isn't a complicated build, just a bit of carving for the front end.
while packing away all the bits i did a bit of a weigh in, at the present time with all electrics installed and complete airframe minus dopeing and painting the wings i am at
2032g, 4.47lb adding a 3S4000 pack brings it to 2388g, 5.2lb Sorry Pete, i know she is a bit of a porker by your standards but hopefully she will still be a relatively sedate flyer. i probably don't need so much battery capacity, so next week when i do some power tests i will get an idea of current draw and work out what i need roughly for a reasonable flight time.

Craig
Last edited by trumps; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
Craig,
That seems to be happening a lot lately. Either I'm designing heavier models or you guys are using lead based paint - or a bit of each.
I think laser cutting makes us lazy in some ways. When I knew I was going to have to cut parts by hand, I used simple structures with as little ply as possible. Now, knowing I won't have to cut the bits out, means more intricate structures and greater number of ply parts.
I still have a way to go before they're as heavy as most IC models though.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:47 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
There is a lot of wood with this one Pete, lower wing mount seats, forward fuse area ect, also I dare say more experienced builders would be able to trim and shave a few ounces off here and there while building, also making vacformed parts in place of solid sections. As you say she still will be much lighter than a lot of those flying house brick ic models though!

Cheers
Craig
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:07 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,568 Posts
She is looking good Craig. I second what Pat said. I used lacquer and lacquer thinner on the N17. Lacquer seems to have all of the characteristics of dope and is easily obtainable and cheaper from the hardware or in our case Wal Mart.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:24 PM
Ridge It
Perth Western Australia
Joined Aug 2009
341 Posts
Looking great Craig, can't wait to see it in the flesh one of these swings ..
jezaroony is offline Find More Posts by jezaroony
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,378 Posts
Craig,
Happily following along.
Best,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers guys, nearly on the home stretch, should get all the painting done this break if the weather behaves and i don't run out of friskit. Jezza i hopefully will take some holidays of in the next couple of swings, we should be able to catch up along the way for a beer or 2, you end up getting that new leadsled to terrorize the slopes with?

Craig
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:40 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Been a busy boy today, got the top and bottom wings doped and painted. next job was to make up my masks for the markings, i selected the ones required from this great little site listed on this forum.
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...4-0040-01.html
i scaled them to the size required using MS Paint and printed copies. then i layed my mask-it (same as friskit) over them and traced them out. i marked each of the crosses with alignment marks and reference numbers so that i could align the cut out sections as required when it was time to do the top colour. anyway long story short, she is now sporting all the required insignias, although not perfect i prefer painted decals to stickers. searching through all the pictures i have of 51's i can't really see any of the usual placards, or stencilling as per most types, i am sure it was there but unless i know for sure it wont be getting it. need to get my backside into gear and sort out the windscreen, and exhausts.

Craig
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Nice work Craig!
-Reuben
ben199 is online now Find More Posts by ben199
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:57 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,378 Posts
Really nice graphics
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,778 Posts
Looking good Craig - that long-awaited day is rapidly approaching. Hopefully the seasonal weather will be right by then too

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member