3,316 Posts
Cheers Simon.
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:42 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
not a lot to report, have been poodling along with the masking and painting, still have the insignias to do, not my favourite task but must be done. i will use some friskit for these i think. need to finish making the windscreen, and vac up the exhaust stubs which i have made up the basic form for, it is just from 2 pieces of balsa split down the middle they were held together with double sided tape to shape and will be split so as to form the 2 halves which will be glued together. the screen is being framed with evergreen U, and H section channel, with a plastic fruitjuice container for the glass.

Craig
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
Looking very swish! The cowl came up very nicely

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:01 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
Great stuff Trumps!
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:18 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers darook, and Pat, i really enjoyed carving up the front end of this one, very interesting shape, got it close enough to make the type identifyable i think.

Craig
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:27 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
Looking great Craig, nice work I think this will be worth the wait
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,049 Posts
Are you going to keep the Baby wrapping paper look? -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Thanks Shaun, LOL Shnokey, i have gained 11 nephews and nieces in the last 5 years, believe me the baby wrapping paper gets a workout at our place! wouldn't be suprised if the wife comes looking for it in the next few weeks due to another birthday/christening or the likes!

Craig
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
Looking pretty fine. Great colours.
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,645 Posts
Will it sport a swastika on the fin? I've never quite understood the reasoning behind banning it in certain countries. If it is supposed to be there, then it should be. Banning it won't make the past not have happened. I'd have thought that, if denouncing that era was the aim, the symbol serving as a reminder would have been a better idea.

Yeah, I know, I'm being confrontational again.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
yes it will score a swastika, i am just waiting until the wings are ready for markings before i cut my masks as i am running a bit short of frisket, and need to get the most out of whats left.
I am with you on the whole politics of it all, banning a symbol wont discourage an ideology, if anything it will only hide it which to my way of thinking is worse in some cases!

Craig
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Will it sport a swastika on the fin? I've never quite understood the reasoning behind banning it in certain countries. If it is supposed to be there, then it should be. Banning it won't make the past not have happened. I'd have thought that, if denouncing that era was the aim, the symbol serving as a reminder would have been a better idea.

Yeah, I know, I'm being confrontational again.

Pete
The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used by several cultures. Most recently I believe the Finns also used the swastika. I see no reason to ban it just because the Nazis borrowed it. BTW I believe sombody smarter than me once said "Those that dont study history are doomed to repeat it" or some such.

Anyhow, the He looks great. Should be a lot of fun to fly.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
Brian
United States, SC, Pelzer
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Sanding tools

Craig,

Everyone was very impressed by your filleting skills on the fin, myself included. Was wondering if you use some special (bought or homemade) tools to make the curves flow so nicely.

Thanks
Brian
cobrajockey is offline Find More Posts by cobrajockey
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Hiya Brian, the fin fillets were just roughed out with a saw, razor planned, and hand sanded. I tacked them to the balsa profile jig that I showed in that post to help support them because they are pretty thin and fragile until covered and glued to the fin permanently.

Cheers
Craig