Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:02 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake Heinkel He-51 prototype, with full video

G'day all,
After a lot of pestering Mr Rake finally weakend and drew up this beautiful design for me. i am extremely grateful as it is from the 30's which i think is not his favoured period, and also due the the rounded fuselage required the implimentation of a shell design to aid in accurate construction.
the He-51 was the reborn Luftwaffe's first first fighter,first introduced in 1934 and
saw frontline service in spain in 1936. although successful initially, the introduction of the modern, and faster Polikarpov I-15 and I-16 by the Spanish Republican Air Force soon saw the type relegated to support roles, and was instrumental in the development of the close support tactics used with great effect during the early stages of WWII. during the earlier stages of WWII the He-51 was used in the training role, a small number were also designed as floatplanes.
I recieved the plan files from Peter last week, and had 2 copies printed, 1 set for building over and the second set to be cut up as templates for the laminated parts and such. it is a fantastic looking set of plans with the wingspan being 54'' and working out to be roughly 1/8 scale, i am looking forward to starting the construction in earnest, with the forward fuselage consisting of some interesting compound curves. while i am waiting for Charlie to cut the kit for me i will be sourcing any extra building stocks needed, such as hardwood for spars ect. i have a motor here that while slightly larger will spin the 13'' propellor which i think would be about the right scale. the motor going by the numbers is more powerful than what is required for what i figure should be about a 4 1/2Lb model, but then that is what the left thumb is for link to motor details below Peter for your approval.
http://www.yinyanmodel.com/En/ProductView.asp?ID=46
i have also cut out all of the tail surfaces, and wingtips from the spare set of plans, glueing these to some 1/4 balsa sheet and created the forms which i laminated the outlines around. the tail surfaces are laminated from 6 layers of 1/16 sheet which i stripped down to just over 1/4 strips, the wing tips were done the same apart from the strips being just over 3/8 wide. they were soaked with water for 5 minutes, and then layed up around the form with watered down titebold and left to dry. i gave the edges of the balsa forms a good rub down with a candle so as to prevent the laminated edges from sticking to the forms.
these parts will be left un-trimmed until it is time to lay them up on the plan and build them into it.
any hints, tips, and suggestions during the build will be muchly appreciated guys, so don't hold back!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Last edited by trumps; Oct 24, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:25 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,658 Posts
Looking forward the build Craig - while the '30s is not everyones cup of tea, I find the period fascinating. 50+ inches will be a good size too!

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:03 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
Since Charlie tells me he's caught up on everything, including the He-51, hopefully it won't be too long before you get the parts. I suppose that means I'll just have to draw up a few more designs.

That motor does seem a little more than required, but as long as it fits without altering too much it should be okay. About an ounce heavier than the 2820, and capable of unlimited vertical, but cutting it back to 3S (possibly 2S) might tame it.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:34 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers Pete, and Pat, the motor sounds like it will be just fine on 3S as against the 4S which most of the power figures are given at, and will drop the amps nicely as well with the larger prop ( can't stand props that aren't close to scale Dia ) Sitting the motor against the plan, it will fit just fine, and the length is the same as the 2820.
Great to hear that Charlie is caught up, I will place the order with Charlie as soon he lets me know he is good to go! All is good, no stress Charlie

Cheers
Craig
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:09 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,262 Posts
I think that's a great choice of model and you are very lucky to have such an expert produce the plans for you.
Looking forward to it.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
It might be better for you to contact Charlie since he won't be sure who's doing what. Heck, even I'm not sure of that.

Pete
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,543 Posts
Pete, no worries. Got everyone lined up and ready to go.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Subscribed! I've always thought this was a beautiful plane and the available color schemes are stunning.
Mark Wolf is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Cheers all,
Scaledown, yes i agree, i am very lucky to have had Peter design this one for me, I have been pestering him for quite a while, and hope to do him proud with the end result. Mark, hope you enjoy the ride it has always been my favourite since i first saw a picture of one as a kid.
I should also mention that when i spoke to Peter about the design of this one, i mentioned to him that i would like to also build up a second set of lower wings so as to include flaps as per the full size. with this in mind he positioned the rear spar of the lower wing in a location that will make the addition of flaps an easy option. i am hoping to be able to pick up an extra set of components to build up a set of flapped lower wings after the 4 channel setup is proven.

Craig
Last edited by trumps; Jun 03, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2009
140 Posts
I am really excited about this one. I have been looking for a 51 with no luck. Can't wait to see this one progress. Is there a chance that Charlie will kit this one?
Taylor
cobra16 is offline Find More Posts by cobra16
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:37 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
I'd think there's every chance that he will kit it. It'd be an awful waste of preparing cut files otherwise.

Craig,
If you want to build this one with flaps it would be okay. They don't really affect the structure (that cleverly positioned rear spar) and test flights could be made without using them, so we get to see how both versions work out. I know Peter also wants to build one of these, so maybe his will be sans flaps.

Pete
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:17 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
As long as you are happy with that Pete!

Cheers
Craig
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
Craig as Pete said I am going to prototype as well. I ordered the parts from Charlie yesterday. I can not wait as it is a model I have wanted to do this for ages. I will put my HP o/400 on the backburner to do it. I was thinking to go with flaps but I am happy to leave them off if you are going to do them on yours. I was going to buy the Classic Airframes 1/48 plastic kit to help as it also has the scheme I am aiming to do. I have more 3-view to help as well. Craig if you would like a copy of them PM your email and I will send them to you.

Pete
Glong-flyer is offline Find More Posts by Glong-flyer
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:52 AM
What's 3D?
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Ah, Cheers mate! i did much the same last week and bought an ICM kit to assist with the shape of the front end, though it is only 1/72 scale. cheers on the 3 views, i have a few of them but you can never have too many i emailed Charlie last week about the short kit, so no doubt will be hearing from him soon if it is all systems go. i am assuming that the one in your post is the scheme you are going with? nice, i am undecided between the black cowled version, or the red... tough call for this pretty little plane! enjoy your build mate

Cheers
Craig
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:00 AM
Ballarat, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
347 Posts
No worries Craig here are some more scheme's

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarter2/he51.htm

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/28/2/0

as you said there are so many good scheme's

i meant to write I like this one too. I really like the blue