Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post

...half the excitement and work is yet to come....
Joe
Half the work?!!?! From this point out I was really hoping for a ratio more along the lines of 90% excitement and 10% work.
smithcreek is online now Find More Posts by smithcreek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
HA! That might be more like it! I just want you to be patient at the flying field and get everything right before you make your first loop! I looped my PCA-2 twice.....and will never do it again! HA! Too scary!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
I looped my PCA-2 twice.....and will never do it again! HA! Too scary!
Joe
I have planes that are made to loop, I'll probably stick with those if I'm in a looping mood. A guy at the field asked me about the Autogiro, he wanted to know if it did loops or wing overs. I told him, maybe, I don't plane to find out, the thing it seems to do best is just fly around and look FRIGGIN' COOL!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gulf Shores
Joined Dec 2010
68 Posts
Newbie question.....What would the reason be for the scare factor? .....rpm decay? Pull out g's and coning? All of the above? (and a few more that aren't so obvious like maybe 0 g spazout flapping?) Curious about this................

Quote:
HA! That might be more like it! I just want you to be patient at the flying field and get everything right before you make your first loop! I looped my PCA-2 twice.....and will never do it again! HA! Too scary!
Joe
Steverc123 is offline Find More Posts by Steverc123
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
I remember my PCA-2 going into the loop and at the top, I wasn't sure if it was going to make it all the way around....nervous that it was either going to flop over before it got to the top of the loop. Also I remember watching those blades spin like crazy when I pulled out of the loop! It's too pretty of a machine to loop. I'll leave that for my lighter autogyros!
joe
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
This is the first time I've tried to really paint a pilot, not just add a mustache to one or do a half-ass job. He ain't perfect, but I'm happy with the way he turned out since at several points during the painting process he looked more like a drag queen than a haggard barnstormer. I'll get a shot of him in the cockpit once I shoot him with some clear/flat epoxy.

Without further adieu, ladies and gentlemen, introducing the RCAVictor Pitcairn PCA-3 Autogiro pilot, Capt. Emerson Niceuns:
Last edited by smithcreek; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added photo
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
I remember my PCA-2 going into the loop and at the top, I wasn't sure if it was going to make it all the way around....nervous that it was either going to flop over before it got to the top of the loop. Also I remember watching those blades spin like crazy when I pulled out of the loop! It's too pretty of a machine to loop. I'll leave that for my lighter autogyros!
joe
I'm not trying to make you nostalgic and weepy (), but back when you had two you could be more daring.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
YEP! Agreed!

That pilot looks great man! Where did you get him? Ace of Irons?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
I got him from Pete's Pilots on ebay. One of the pilots on Aces of Iron 1/6 scale would work great though, the British WW1 guy.
Last edited by smithcreek; Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add picture
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Well a month and a half and you have without doubt built one of the best finished PCA's to date.

I wish you all the best with your maiden, there is nothing I can say that hasn't been already said. The one piece of advice I will give is don't force it into the air. It will lift off when its ready, if it doesn't then adjustments are more than likely needed.

I met 'Pete' a few weekends ago and he was telling me all about his pilots and how he makes them. A very clever chap.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
Boca Raton, FL
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Since you guys spoke about Block Island, does anyone know if slope soaring on Block Island is going to be a problem? I wouldn't expect to be much higher then 150' over a bluff, I am concerned it could be an issue with the planes taking off and landing at Block Island Airport.
SFLDrew is offline Find More Posts by SFLDrew
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
I posted this in it's own thread but figured I would put it here also to keep this thread complete:

The Accident: Whirlybird Aviation Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro (8 min 34 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:52 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Well a month and a half and you have without doubt built one of the best finished PCA's to date.

I wish you all the best with your maiden, there is nothing I can say that hasn't been already said. The one piece of advice I will give is don't force it into the air. It will lift off when its ready, if it doesn't then adjustments are more than likely needed.

I met 'Pete' a few weekends ago and he was telling me all about his pilots and how he makes them. A very clever chap.

Regards

Rich
Thanks Rich! And thanks for your help and advice along the way. Pete makes very nice pilots, but be sure to reinforce the head/body joint if you use one. I sealed one in under a canopy and after a month his head fell off. It's been bouncing around the cockpit for three years now! It's on my beater plane, the one I fly in rough weather at the beginning and end of the year. I used to say I will get in there and fix it if the plane survives the season, but now he's so well known in the club I don't dare touch him.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Congratulations! Hard to believe it's not a fake - I'd probably kill anybody dancing around me during a maiden, I never take my eyes of the plane and I most certainly wouldn't take a hand off the transmitter.

Great building job and great flying!
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi View Post
I'd probably kill anybody dancing around me during a maiden,
Hi Edi, thanks. It wasn't really the maiden, it was the 5th flight. I maidened it the day before.

I started to draw the RCA Victor Logo and dog to send to my friend to make paint masks for. I will probably have to do a lot of the painting of the dog and phonograph by hand and airbrush. The main color with be sprayed with the mask.