HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:07 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Wow that is super Dave, I have always been stumped on how to mount and cut the dummy radial so I will be watching closely and taking notes. Any behind the seen tips will be taken under advisement.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:22 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
WOW.....that dummy radial looks sweet! You matched the saito perfectly! Where's is the real muffler going to stick out?
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:38 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Bill, lots of ways to skin a cat, here's what I came up with on the P-26. It uses aluminum standoffs, a lot like what people do with gas and electric motors these days. These are the basic steps I used:

-Fit the dummy radial to the plane, grind/cut/sand to clear your real engine.

-Buy or make standoffs. I use 3/8" aluminum rod, cut to length, drill and tap for 6/32. Buying would be easier you just might have to shim to get the right length.

-Make a plastic plate that you glue to the back of the dummy. ABS plastic, 1/4" works great, you can buy it cheap on ebay. It has three tabs for screws to go through and for standoffs to mount to. I drew it in CAD, if anyone wants it I can send it so you could cut it on a band saw or scroll saw.

-Mount the standoffs on the plate/dummy engine, put a little white paint or white out on the ends of the standoffs. Line up the engine and press the standoffs against the firewall, they should leave a perfect mark where to drill.

-drill the firewall and mount it. When you stand back you don't
smithcreek is offline Find More Posts by smithcreek
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
WOW.....that dummy radial looks sweet! You matched the saito perfectly! Where's is the real muffler going to stick out?
I'm working on that. I'm not sure yet but I know it will involve one of those 90 degree adapter things and I don't have one. So I will have to leave the ring off for now. It would be nice to route the exhaust out the bottom using one of those flex pipes. I've never used one before and heard they break easily. Oh well, the price we pay for beauty, right guys?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Bill, here's how I did this one, almost the same but added the collector ring. The ring has to go on first to fit over the real cylinder head, then has blind nuts in it and screws to the plate on the dummy engine once that is mounted.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:42 AM
Gulf Shores
Joined Dec 2010
68 Posts
Looks good! Wood order will be here tomorrow!
Steverc123 is offline Find More Posts by Steverc123
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Dave have you got a link to where you bought the dummy radial I have one but cheep looking nothing like yours.
I'm learning a lot please keep it coming.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
It's just the Williams Bros 1/6 scale Wasp, you can get it at most places, Tower usually has a decent price. So, have you started back to work on yours?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
Bill,
It's the same one I used on my Beechnut Electric. Looks nice! A little pricey!
Joe
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:47 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Guys:
No I am caught up in the Sig Senior conversion but with all the renewed interest in the PCA it will be next on my list.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
She's done! Finished at 2 am last night. Ready to fly her is as soon as I get a muffler adapter. I ordered a 90 degree muffler adapter and turboheader muffler, should be in Thursday or Friday. I'll have to send the exhaust out the top for now, but I also ordered some header hose, so when that comes in I should be able to route the exhaust out the bottom. I may even add the scale exhaust pipe to the ring and run it out that.

Took about 8 ounces of brass rod in the dummy cylinders, total weight, 8-1/2 lbs. I will have a pilot for the maiden, I still need to paint him and there are a number of small scale detail items like spark plugs and wires for the dummy engine, instrument panel, navigation lights, and of course, Nipper. Yes, I know my lawn (crabgrass) needs to be cut, but I let it get behind a few days to finish this thing up, ok?
Last edited by smithcreek; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
Gulf Shores
Joined Dec 2010
68 Posts
It looks really nice! One of the fastest 'pretty builds' I have ever seen. Took a heck of a lot of brass, Jeeze Have got mine kicked off, tail feather frames are drying and fuse box is under way.
Steverc123 is offline Find More Posts by Steverc123
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Dave :
All I can say that looks really really nice you did a super job not too much and not too cheep just right. Good luck on the Maiden.

Soon Soon Bill

P.S. At least you have green grass mine is dead brown I'd blow a tire is I put mine out side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
USA, RI, Westerly
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
Not sure but I think the 8 oz. ballast is about standard, overall weight is also on the low side of standard. Rich just maidened one that rocked the scales at 10-1/2 lb. and it flew really well.

Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I was shooting for. Spend a bit of time on the things that really make a big difference in how the plane looks, but in general keep it simple and get it done fast. There are still lots of small details like the ones I listed yesterday that I can still do and will make a big impact when you take a closer look.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,061 Posts
Every WW 1 plane I've built, I had to add a ton of weight to the nose....this model is no different. Just have to add the weight that big radial used to have!

On my PCA-2 Beechnut, that dummy radial that you used took most of the weight, but I did have 6 5000 mah battery pack in the nose too! On my Champion, I had to add about 8-10 oz of weight with my nitro engine.

Bottom line...both my PCA-2s weigh 8 pounds and it flies really light. It's good to see it still flies well with 10 pounds like the guy in the UK...probably flies better in wind, than mine does!

Dave, I think you have the right idea. Besides, half the excitement and work is yet to come....you have to get some good hops. Or as in Rich's case, one BIG hop! HA! It happens and Rich is an excellent pilot.

Keep it up David and look forward to your next pictures!
Joe