HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:20 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,920 Posts
Discussion
Official Suppo Motor & ESC Discussion/Q&A Thread

Greetings,

Searching through the forums, I see there are many threads dedicated to specific brands of products. I see a lot of discussion about Suppo motors and ESCs all across the board whether it be for airplanes, multicopters, micro indoor models, etc. We at Altitude Hobbies are a leading retailer of the Suppo line and have been very impressed with their company and product line. I figured I would create a thread specifically for Q&A about these motors and ESCs as we are quite familiar with their products. Also, we have a direct contact with the manufacturer and can get answers for just about any question.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments in this thread or email us at altitudehobbies@gmail.com

Thanks,
Garret H
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,920 Posts
To start out, I'll point out a somewhat obvious fact which some may not be aware of. The popular BP Outrunners sold by BP Hobbies are Suppo motors rebranded. Also, many of HobbyKing's Super Simple line of ESCs are manufactured by Suppo. In addition to our store (Altitude Hobbies), another popular USA Suppo retailer is LightFlightRC.

For those wondering, the name Suppo comes from a combination of the words simple, powerful, and smooth. Their motors are indeed powerful and very quiet!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Garret H; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
For those who might follow this Suppo-specific thread I've tested a lot of 'em over the last five years or so.... see this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=suppo and succeeding threads.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Thanks for this information.
The older thread is full of data, but only on motors. Suppo prices are very low, but as always the question is "what's the reliability?" I notice that you (Altitude Hobbies) also carry ZTW ESCs. How would you compare the two?
By the way, 25000 posts?!

I also found a site that seems to be "direct from factory" prices. Presumably long order times and so forth.

Question: what kinds of programming cards work with Suppo ESCs?
Thanks.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Last edited by Reegor; Aug 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts

HobbyWing or Turnigy may be the same... or try this http://www.rchotdeals.com/documents/..._20A30A40A.pdf
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:33 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Although I'm not Garret, I've talked with him alot, and asked him the same questions. Pending his response, I might as well answer some of your questions the best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
The older thread is full of data, but only on motors. Suppo prices are very low, but as always the question is "what's the reliability?"
Pretty damn good. I stopped ordering HK motors due to Suppo. I personally haven't ordered one from Altitude Hobbies, but before I heard of them, I've owned quite a few Suppos, and they're all great.

Quote:
I notice that you (Altitude Hobbies) also carry ZTW ESCs. How would you compare the two?
ZTW ESCs - I've never owned one, but when I asked Garret that, I got the response:

"As far as Suppo vs. ZTW... ZTW is much higher quality. They are one of the best quality ESCs you can get. They may seem cheap for this, but the reason is we buy them direct from the manufacturer so we get them before they are rebranded. Don't get me wrong, Suppo is also very good. We have sold a ton and rarely have one come back. But, they are designed to be a budget ESC and have limited programming functionality. They are the same as HobbyKing's Super Simple line. ZTW will be capable of handling more amps without shutting down, they have more features, a better quality BEC, etc."

And in your last remark to 'factory direct', when it comes to shipping, Altitude Hobbies will ship it out same day or next day on USPS priority. That means it gets here quick.

I was looking for some replacement servos ASAP, Garret linked me to his site. I ordered some TP 9g servos. See, most vendors will, if it turns out they don't have those servos in stock, will tie up your money until they receive them, then ship them to you.

But not Altitude Hobbies. He contacted another hobby shop in Arizona and had them ship some to me. I still got the servos faster than I would at my LHS .
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:35 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
That's merely an average of 8 posts a day.

But Kiwi has been around a looooooong time.

And Kiwi - your Suppo test data has been invaluable... part of the reason I like those motors is I can get reliable test data on the majority of the product line, thanks to you.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,920 Posts
Quote:
The older thread is full of data, but only on motors. Suppo prices are very low, but as always the question is "what's the reliability?" I notice that you (Altitude Hobbies) also carry ZTW ESCs. How would you compare the two?

I also found a site that seems to be "direct from factory" prices. Presumably long order times and so forth.

Thanks.
Well, I think Acetech answered your questions! (Thanks, Ace )

Suppo motors are good quality units -- they are very smooth and powerful, and I know you would be happy with the performance. They are sold under other "labeled names" so often people don't recognize them by the Suppo name which is the original manufacturer. Most notably, BP Hobbies has sold them for years as BP Outrunners, but they are the exact same motor at a higher price.

Refer to Ace's post in which he quoted me about the Suppo vs. ZTW ESCs. In my opinion, ZTW is one of the highest quality ESCs you can get -- almost all ESCs on the market these days come from either ZTW or HobbyWing factories and are just relabeled under a hundred different brand names. There are other factories, but these are the two most popular. I have heard (and this is just a rumor) that before switching to a new company, Hacker ESCs were made by ZTW. Not sure if that is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. Chances are, some of the ESCs you run now are made by ZTW just with a different label.

Besides the quality, ZTW ESCs have more programming functions -- they can be used with helis and multicopters as well. Maytech ESCs (mostly marketed toward multicopters) are ZTW ESCs relabeled (at a much higher price). And, ZTW ESCs do have a programming card available.

Suppo ESCs do not have a programming card and there is no other brand card on the market I know of that is compatible -- HobbyWing cards are not, we have tested that! So, they can only be programmed via the TX; however, it is very simple as there are only three options when using the 10A-40A models.

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 19, 2014, 04:47 PM
Canada, BC, Fort Langley
Joined Jul 2013
10 Posts
suppo 60A Blue ESC

Is there any down side to using these in place of 18A-30a ESC's?
cameo20000 is offline Find More Posts by cameo20000
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:04 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo20000 View Post
Is there any down side to using these in place of 18A-30a ESC's?
The only down side is the size and weight, otherwise they functionally operate the same.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:32 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,180 Posts
My favorite motor is Suppo 2212/6 and 2217/9
Very cheap and very reliable.

Until today I had no need for any of them rewind.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:35 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
I own a Suppo 7035-8 (190kv) motor and I am constantly surprised at the quality and power.
Tested with a 23/10 Zoar wood prop, it shows 4200watts at 99a on 12s/30c batteries.
Latest test is with a PMT Carbon Fibre 21 x 10 x 3 blade prop. It bumps the power level to 5238 watts @ 117a on 12s/ 40c batteries. That's 7.02HP!! Motor barely warm during tests. this will fly m y28 lb Turbo Beaver with gusto!! fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 19, 2014, 05:51 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,123 Posts
Been running 50cc gasses for years and thought I might set one up as electric. What motor and ESC combo do you have for a 50cc size plane running 12S. 16 to 20 lbs.
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:48 AM
Canada, BC, Fort Langley
Joined Jul 2013
10 Posts
what plans or kit is your Turbo beaver, I have been considering a large Beaver. Thanks gord Langley BC
cameo20000 is offline Find More Posts by cameo20000
Old Mar 20, 2014, 09:59 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olezippi View Post
Been running 50cc gasses for years and thought I might set one up as electric. What motor and ESC combo do you have for a 50cc size plane running 12S. 16 to 20 lbs.
See the above motor 7035-8 (190kv) It can be propped for a true 50cc gas equivelant (3700watts) or pushed well above as my tests results show. I would try for 3700watts with a 22/10 My Areoworks 300 Extra was 19 lbs, and had more pull and better upline than a pair of 50cc DA's on cannisters at the club. I was running a 23/10 Zoar (4200 watts)(5.63 HP)while they both run 23/8 Meznick CF props! The motor turned 7100rpm on the 23/10 with 30c/5000/6s in series for 12s.
With some 40c/5000/6s it turns the 21/10/3 blade PMT CF prop to 7500rpm at 117a for 5238watts (7.02 HP). Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley