HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined May 2012
69 Posts
Question
Minimalist RC? Control through weight alone?

I've been having a lot of fun with free flights at the park as I work through various wings and body plans for my RC. I'm having so much fun with it, I was thinking I'd like to create some sort of minimalist RC set up for a free flight glider (oxymoron, I know).

So, I'm curious, what's the minimal control I could use to decently influence the plane?

For example, can two ailerons alone give me up, down, left, right?

What's more, I'm not sure I even need down controls? Maybe I only have rudder? Would that work?

Another idea I was thinking of was a moveable CoG. This is sort of what hang-gliders use right? Perhaps you could just move a small weight fore and aft to adjust attitude? Maybe that's weird, but I wouldn't have to hinge anything that way.

Maybe you could just trigger events like: flaps down, or bank right, that have one-time moves pre-programmed?

The basic question is, what is a minimal set of controls I could have to minimalize production time, so I can make iterations. Hinges, control horns and the like seem to take up a lot of the time. So, maybe if I can eliminate or simplify that somehow?

lol. Crazy talk?
bythesea is offline Find More Posts by bythesea
Last edited by bythesea; Jun 02, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
870 Posts
Minimum control for a free flight glider is a dethermalizer!
There will be lots of info in other threads:
The old timers thread for single channel type control of rudder using magnetic actuators, or even rubber band powered escapements that could be preprogrammed.
The Indoor and Micro thread for modern ultra small control.
Most vendors now have lots of micro gear including 'bricks' that obviates making your own actuators.
http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartl...nSearch=Search
But there are lots of threads for fiddlers on hacking things like micro cars for micro flight use.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Hi Crazy Talk!
You just described "Folkerts Special"
I haven't made it work yet, you may be more successful
http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2112/folkerts.htm
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:45 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
in the nurflugel forum, there are some guys that want to use active weight shift to add another level of control to their wings. if you had small thread belts across the wings and fuselage, you could use a motor in the middle to move a small weight out one way or another and shift the cg that way. though its going to be rather crude control, but it would work. you would want the wing center section to be flat and use polyhedral wing tips, and another weight along the fuselage for up/down control. it shouldnt need much distance, a few inches each way for say a 1 gram weight. would certainly be a very unique plane
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:10 AM
United Kingdom, Evesham
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
crazy talk?

Lateral thinking! Alternatively you could do it 21st century style. Spektrum AR6400 2.4ghz DSM2 receiver incorporating two linear servos and an ESC. 3.9g 27.75mm x 23.45mm x 8.1mm. Main snag, designed for ParkFlyers and indoor models so limited range. I've used one in a 40" DLG that I fly in a small car park. You can even fit two extra servos. Not much torque but my other one is in an aerobatic Sukhoi that performs better than I do.
Pete
pensioner Pete is offline Find More Posts by pensioner Pete