Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:07 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
Yet despite your picking at nits Costco stores remain private property and the fellow who ended up being shot was asked to leave the premises. He didn't. Police came. They shot him. That probably wouldn't have happened if all he had was a can of iced tea and some skittles.
Are not members of the organization allowed on the private property?

A business open to the public IS somewhat different than private property that isn't open to the public.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
250 Posts
""brandishing" was the wrong word to use I suppose, but what if someone decides to unholster their weapon" for whatever reason in a public place ie check the safety or if a round is in the chamber? "
Is that what you call a straw man ?
Did he?
Did anyone other than the overzealous "wanna be cop" loss prevention dude notice the weapon and make a big deal ?
IS it costcos policy for people that are licensed to carry cant do so there. ?
Hope they have that on paper with the dead guys signature ,or in big red letters on the front door.
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:10 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
"brandishing" was the wrong word to use I suppose, but what if someone decides to unholster their weapon for whatever reason in a public place ie check the safety or if a round is in the chamber?
Handling a firearm in public is not a wise idea. But, neither is it brandishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B
My point is clear, I believe many would and do feel uncomfortable with people other than LE carrying exposed firearms. I have every right to NOT trust people I don't know whether they carry a firearm or not and to suggest I should automatically (no pun intended) trust an individual carrying a firearm is ridiculous.
Huh? Which is it, do you trust people equally whether they carry or not, or don't you?

Your point is the same as my point. But, my questioning is to discover WHY you and others do feel that way.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Funny, but if this person had not been licenced to carry, unarmed and shot by the cop, this thread would have never been started and if it had been I'd bet you would be sticking up for LE?
That is a silly comparison to make.

If all else had been the same except Erik was unarmed, it would be viewed as bad, if not worse.

LE shooting someone simply for being armed is bad enough. LE shooting an unarmed person who isn't showing any threat to others is as bad, if not worse. I see no reason to believe that jumpinjo would thus shift and stick up for LE in that case.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:15 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
Did he?
From what I have read, Erik made NO reference or movement towards his handgun, other than to lift his shirt to show the cops where it was when confronted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus
Did anyone other than the overzealous "wanna be cop" loss prevention dude notice the weapon and make a big deal ?
According to reports, the other shoppers barely made note of even the 'heated argument.' Nor did they feel 'in fear' from Erik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus
IS it costcos policy for people that are licensed to carry cant do so there. ?
Hope they have that on paper with the dead guys signature ,or in big red letters on the front door.
It is their policy that guns are not allowed. But, you will have trouble finding it written down anywhere; at least it has been tough to find it written down anywhere in the past.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:17 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
My point is if we get really tough on people who illegally carry guns, so that we effectively reduce their number (because the way it is now it seems that most people with guns are criminals or on their way to becoming criminals) then the majority of gun carriers would be doing so legally. Then the police could at least have a chance and maybe the above incident would have played out differently.
You have yet to define what that is exactly, and what it is based upon.

Where is it you get your data to make the statement about gun carriers?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
250 Posts
Funny thing about policies legal they mean unless they are written down for everyone evolved to see. Is it on the costco membership ap ? Even if you have a permit we dont care.
So if he is licenced for a reason and disarms because of their policy and he is attacked by the reason for his licence ,on their property, are they liable ?

So does this policy apply to LEO's ,plain clothed off the job ?
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
D W
I love you man.
D W's Avatar
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Hi Wright! How are you today? Hope all's well.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Sport Flyer's Avatar
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
...According to reports, the other shoppers barely made note of even the 'heated argument.' Nor did they feel 'in fear' from Erik.
...
Yet the police felt compelled to react with a "city-wide alert, street closures, helicopter support and deployment of a Mobile Command Center." Guess he should have just politely left the premises.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:55 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
Yet the police felt compelled to react with a "city-wide alert, street closures, helicopter support and deployment of a Mobile Command Center." Guess he should have just politely left the premises.
He is not responsible for the ridiculous overreaction generated by CostCo and the police department.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Sport Flyer's Avatar
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
He is not responsible for the ridiculous overreaction generated by CostCo and the police department.
who were cleared of any wrongdoings in a coroner's inquiry and were later honoured by a national police organization.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
Registered User
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Handling a firearm in public is not a wise idea. But, neither is it brandishing.

Huh? Which is it, do you trust people equally whether they carry or not, or don't you?

Your point is the same as my point. But, my questioning is to discover WHY you and others do feel that way.
IMO when a gun leaves the holster, that could be considered brandishing. I don't trust anyone per say I don't know, ie a passer by, the person sitting next to me in a restaurant or airplane etc. I won't leave my wallet sitting on the table in a public place, I always take my keys out of the ignition when I'm not in my truck, I lock the door when I'm at a hotel......should I go on? Not all people are dishonest or crooks, but there are enough of them out there as almost 60 yrs of experience has shown me.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
Dave?
RCWorks's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
It's this simple people...

1. The U.S. Constitution GUARANTEES Citizens the right to keep and bear arms. PERIOD.
2. ANY law that interferes with the Constitution is an abridgement and is in violation of a guaranteed right.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Registered User
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
He is not responsible for the ridiculous overreaction generated by CostCo and the police department.
In recent history it is well documented that a single, armed individual can create lot's of death and destruction.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:06 PM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
It's this simple people...

1. The U.S. Constitution GUARANTEES Citizens the right to keep and bear arms. PERIOD.
2. ANY law that interferes with the Constitution is an abridgement and is in violation of a guaranteed right.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that guaranteed right is neither carte blanche to keep and bear arms in any location, without exception, or a right to keep and bear any particular form of arms.

Just try carrying that handgun onto a passenger aircraft, without the appropriate permits and permissions.

Or bearing and keeping a personal thermonuclear weapon.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Who's going to be on the 3D flight line at Nall? wrjames38 3D Flying 8 May 07, 2012 01:19 AM
Discussion Who's REALLY Qualified to be Our LEADER ? Chophop Life, The Universe, and Politics 113 Feb 29, 2012 06:43 PM
Who should be the next AMA president? J_R AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) 7 May 24, 2004 07:14 PM
Who should be add into GWS dealers list? GWS4CEO GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 19 Jul 04, 2003 06:01 PM