HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:28 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
630 Posts
Have you thought about reading data from FY autopilots serial port where OSD plugs?
I ask because I am going to buy FY-DOS soon and am interested to connect DIY OSD to DOS. I haven't seen anyone sniffing OSD FY port.
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:56 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
The output from the FY31AP serial to OSD is indeed the same exact data only in bytes and not comma seperated... I am actually doing an extensive DIY 433MHz radio with my own custom code for doing things like grid patterns, automated formation flight, etc, all using my FY31AP.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:21 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
The output from the FY31AP serial to OSD is indeed the same exact data only in bytes and not comma seperated... I am actually doing an extensive DIY 433MHz radio with my own custom code for doing things like grid patterns, automated formation flight, etc, all using my FY31AP.
If you have sniffed that serial stream I would be glad to get some capture log. If you have some info about serial stream data format would be perfect.
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Feiyutech released a detailed spec for the telemetry data, though in raw ascii as formatted by the log file, I haven't documented it all yet in any releaseable form ATM, however I am working on it. I haven't started to reverse engineer the upstream link yet either from pc side to the AP, and that is a high priority on my todo list to do soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:51 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Oh just for the record this will be getting an overhaul fairly soon. I am going to be working on my 433MHz bidirectional radio system really soon so I will be re-visiting this code as I am going to be implamenting full support for getting the telemtry and giving commands to the AP, plus they did release the actual protocol of the telemetry so I can make my converter much more accurate and robust.

Probably be about a month away, I am in the process of building up my new Super Skysurfer so it is taking up a lot of my time, but it's worth it because it is going to be quite the awesome FPV plane! You can see the build log at http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....urfer-Buildlog.
This is as far as I got, telemetry down, all apart from voltage and current data. I can update PID`s and basic AP commands but uploading is far from great on the GSC. The serial data is being read from the OSD - FY31 connection ( FY31AP data output )

OpenLRS telemetry (5 min 52 sec)
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:07 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,906 Posts
hi guys I can't get these links to work... I am wanting to get the plane position and time out of a log file that my GCS created on some recent flights...

thanks!!

great work btw
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
hi guys I can't get these links to work... I am wanting to get the plane position and time out of a log file that my GCS created on some recent flights...

thanks!!

great work btw
I am not sure why it's down ATM, though honestly I am in a bit of a situation personally so I am not so sure how long it will take before I can fix it, maybe soon maybe not, I will post here when I get it back up and running again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Ok I found why it wasn't working, it should work for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:40 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,906 Posts
thanks and hope everything works out for you on the personal front.

Steve
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
thanks and hope everything works out for you on the personal front.

Steve
Thanks, hopefully so! If all goes well it will turn out to be good, if not a tough road is ahead, either way I will find a way to prevail .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,906 Posts
I had to ask this of you when you are likely very busy but I have not tried the converter yet as I am out of the office...

can you per chance select what will be output into the converted file? I am only looking for lat, long, elevation (optional) and time stamp.

Thanks!

PS also this means we could make our own GCS for FY products right? that is what they are really lacking right now.... love to see this!!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
I actually am working on a custom GCS myself, they of course listed the protocol of the textfiles produced by the OSD (Only because I pestered them about it and made the converter), and I looked at the raw serial data and confirmed it's the same exact protocol only in binary instead of ASCII, I haven't done so yet but I do have plans to also reverse engineer the protocol from the GCS back to the FY31AP, which will allow for custom GCS.

How fast I can get working on it really depends on my personal circumstance, basically I was working for someone for 2 years for not much more then room and board and got shafted just a few days ago, which put me in a situation of having to stay at a friends house with $0 in my pocket, so ATM I am quite busy trying to establish an income and not be couch surfing, the advantage of it all is my friend I am staying with is also a software/hardware hacker so it's easy to get sucked into doing projects like this... :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:02 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,906 Posts
mmmm interesting... I am gonna send you a PM...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Hi, has anyone tried successfully to download the telemetry data from the Feiyutech FY-31AP via the audio channel of an A/V transmitter and display the live aircraft location and telemetry info on the 2D GCS 4.0 or GCS 3D software using the TTL/USB port?

I've opened a discussion here in case:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821578

thanks
skylimit is offline Find More Posts by skylimit
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
I've tried bobosch's and NorCalMatCat's converters with the data i've just pulled off my hornet osd, but neither works apparently. From bobosch's converter I get a bunch of "Unknown data format" errors.

Here are a couple of lines copied from one of my telemetry files

$GPRMC,174434.107,A,5450.83601,N,01109.18337,E,0.1 5,249.86,180613,,,A*6E
$GPGGA,174434.208,5450.83606,N,01109.18377,E,1,6,1 .06,-0.8,M,44.2,M,,*7D

$GPGGA,154922.400,5449.70290,N,01109.25533,E,1,4,2 .20,-16.2,M,44.2,M,,*44
$GPRMC,154922.400,A,5449.70290,N,01109.25533,E,1.6 1,338.72,170613,,,A*61
sorenrosenberg is offline Find More Posts by sorenrosenberg