HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Question
Flyzone Piper J-3 Cub electric problem

Last weekend I bought a Flyzone Piper J-3 Cub from a local hobby shop and am having some major issues with the electric components. I do not recommend this plane for anybody Iíve had more problems than success with it and only owned it for a week. First things first, upgrade, I have heard that they will fly fairly well with a brushless motor, battery, and ECS upgrade. So my first question is what to upgrade to? I switched out those components with a 1000mAh Lipo battery, 20amp ESC and brushless motor to match but when connected to the receiver all I get is a pulsating motor and a constant beeping. Does the ESC used with the receiver have to be the one the factory supplied with the plane? I had the same problem with the factory setup though and the factory ESC fried just today with the supplied battery. I can switch to a different transmitter and receiver but I will have to replace my receiver which will cost me around $35. If my problem with the factory equipment was the ECS that can be replaced for about $18 and the receiver would cost me about $15 and thatís if I donít have to replace the transmitter that goes with it for them to work since I donít think the receiver has a bind process. I am already out $180 for the plane itself and am hoping to save as much as possible. Also I have to replace the wing since first attempt to fly it, with the seriously under powered motor, ended in an almost instant crash. The only place I have found a replacement wing for it was on eBay and that goes for $47. Does anybody know of a cheaper place to get a replacement wing? Thanks for any advice that can be given and to those of you considering buying this plane read all the reviews you can find before you make the same mistake I did.
Keith.Lackey is offline Find More Posts by Keith.Lackey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:59 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,961 Posts
Sounds like your replacement ESC has no BEC to power your rx. Check the documentation for the ESC. I'm pretty sure your ESC connector that plugs into the rx will only have 2 wires running along it if there is no BEC.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k