HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,653 Posts
New Product
FlyZone Millennium Master

I’ve resisted starting threads on new products because they should run their own course and take on a life of their own without interference, but my enthusiasm for the Millennium is too strong. Same as my cat’s curiosity is stronger than his fear of the neighbor’s dog (making him hold his ground instead of running away), I can’t keep quiet about the Millennium. From the moment the first prototype leapt off the runway I was crazy about the Millennium and cannot wait to share it.

The Millennium doesn’t need me to stimulate sales with this thread—I think it’ll do fine on its own. So my intention here is just to share what I know—either now, or if you get one for yourself.

There’s not much to the Millennium which for me, is a big part of its appeal—it’s a great-looking, ultra-simple, injection-molded EPO foam replica of the full-size Millennium Master. Aside from its appearance, what I like about the Millennium is how it performs in the air—it’s fast and slippery, but can fly slowly too. It’s super-honest and makes me feel very comfortable at the controls. And because of the tricycle landing gear the Millennium ground handles extremely well—it won’t ground loop or nose over. I kinda wish it had retracts, but the fixed gear adds to the simplicity, durability and economy.

I won’t take any more time bragging about how great I think the Millennium is—our promotional media can take it from here.

In the mean-time, here are the links to the Tower and FlyZone sites (where you can also view the instruction manual).

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...602/index.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGSD&P=7

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Last edited by KRProton; Jun 01, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
144 Posts
Wow. Not much interest in this plane around here huh? Well i like how it looks. Haven't flown one though.
rcguy1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1234
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,832 Posts
Beautiful plane. Anyone purchased or flown one yet?
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Gary
Seems to me they are not sold yet. The catalog said end on June as I recall.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:38 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,653 Posts
The Rx-R editions are in stock and shipping.

The Tx-R is not in stock yet, but will be soon.

Tim
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, NY
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Gary
I just ordered mine (TxR version) from Tower, expecting delivery on Friday July 6th. I'll post some pictures of the packaging etc...

I have a thing for tricycle geared planes.
Charles Brown is offline Find More Posts by Charles Brown
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,313 Posts
hoping to have one in a few days if a trade goes through, Will post video including onboard
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, NY
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Looks good. Everything is in order.
Charles Brown is offline Find More Posts by Charles Brown
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, GA, Brunswick
Joined Apr 2007
5 Posts
Put a millennium into the air today. First thought was that it was under powered. Good tracking and stability. Seemed to knife-edge without too much roll tendency. Two minutes into the flight as it rolled, we heard a strange sound but it kept flying. Everything seemed okay. Second flight the noise returned as soon as we pushed the throttle stick. Anything over 70% throttle a strange noise came from the engine. A couple minutes into this flight the magic smoke came out. The bec circuit still worked so we were able to land it with no damage.
Bench test show the esc and motor are both damaged. Hopefully once we get replacement parts we will find the new motor has more power than the original as the motor-cowl spacing is going to make finding a suitable replacement a little tough.
roninga is online now Find More Posts by roninga
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:24 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
That is so bad news. Im waiting mine to arrive to give a try. I have the corvalis for a year now is not one of my every day flyer but never had an issue I hope same luck with my millennium.

How you find the flight charasteristic. She stall at slow speed? How much wind was in your mayden. Did you liked if you have no power issue?

Check for warranty maybe you can get replace your motor and esc.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
This plane showed up at the LHS...looks great but the report from Roninga is disheartening. I really like Flyzone/Great Planes but they need to address these electronics issues.

Regardless, this looks like a candidate for a hotter motor/esc and a 4s pack.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:22 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninga View Post
Put a millennium into the air today. First thought was that it was under powered. Good tracking and stability. Seemed to knife-edge without too much roll tendency. Two minutes into the flight as it rolled, we heard a strange sound but it kept flying. Everything seemed okay. Second flight the noise returned as soon as we pushed the throttle stick. Anything over 70% throttle a strange noise came from the engine. A couple minutes into this flight the magic smoke came out. The bec circuit still worked so we were able to land it with no damage.
Bench test show the esc and motor are both damaged. Hopefully once we get replacement parts we will find the new motor has more power than the original as the motor-cowl spacing is going to make finding a suitable replacement a little tough.
One option would be to contact Product Support and inquire with them. I don't know the circumstances, but sounds like you have a defective motor and/or ESC if it just quit as you described. We use those units in lots of planes and yes, they're not your top-of-the-line Neu motors or Castle ESCs, but I haven't been able to fault them because simply, they work.

Tim
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
My flight report is as follows:

Very nimble, if you increase the throws. At the recommended low and high rates, it is all very manageable and easy to fly. It kinda feels like an edf jet with a prop up front.

The way the wings taper inwards towards the tips make this plane slightly tippy, so avoid making overly-steep banked turns at slow speeds. Use the rudder and keep the turn as level as possible.

It is very streamlined, and you can feel how it effortlessly slips through the air; so in moderate winds, it is still a joy to fly.

Power from the motor is very good. Some people have reported bad motors or something rubbing against the rotor, but mine has no defects. Flight time for me is 5 minutes and 50 seconds with an 1800mAh 3s 30C lipo.

Landing the plane is easy, because it's so stable. If you cut the power, the glide rate is only "fair," compared to a Parkzone T28, which seems to part glider. However, the Millennium Master is not a brick by any means. It comes down (again) at a fair rate, so if you feel as if the plane is coming down too quickly, just apply a quarter throttle or more, and it'll slow accordingly for a smooth and gentle landing. Personally, I keep the power on at 1/4 throttle until the last few yards before touching down.

The landing gear is sturdy, but I don't think it's a plane for beginners, because the nose gear is not built to take a beating from beginners. It's not flimsy, but it's not built like an offroad buggy suspension, either.

The thing I like about Flyzone and the other brands carried by Tower Hobbies is that the parts are easily available, so if you have a mishap requiring new parts, it's no problem replacing it.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,313 Posts
Did the maiden and 4 more flights today, absolutely love this plane! It does wicked tumbles, inverted flat spins and very nice and smooth 4 point and slow rolls. Great job flyzone!, on board video coming.

millenuim Master onboard 007 (8 min 24 sec)
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Last edited by MustangAce17; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
Recived mine today. I have to say hibbico need a better way to box their planes. The box was all crushed But no damage at all just a wing tip a little bent

After being ordering lots of planes from parkzone and eflite i have to say Horizon take the best care on packaging their planes

I will work her tonight and try to maiden This weekend. Look very nice just a bit smaller than i expect . Lets see when is finished and compare side by side to my corvalis.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX