SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
New Product
Laser Cutting Service

I can make copies of your existing/broken parts or help you design custom parts. Sizes up to 9x14".

You can send me CAD files, drawings, existing parts, scans and I can then cut them out.

This is a hobby-based service with cheap pricing.

PM me with any questions.
johnorama is online now Find More Posts by johnorama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
Good for you John, I am glad you got your own machine you will find it much more satisfying to produce your own parts. Which laser machine did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Tom
DeadTom is online now Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Another available kit. With the low cost of batteries these days, everyone has a bunch so they can avoid charging at the field. I was tired of managing a pile of batteries and figuring out which batteries were charged or not.

It has a carrying handle, reconfigurable dividers and moveable separators to keep the charged and used batteries separated. You could also use 1 side for carrying tools, props or whatever.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:47 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
790 Posts
I have never said this another guy before....but nice box Jon.
Put that laser to work and keep the projects coming.
Tom
DeadTom is online now Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
881 Posts
John, the box looks very useful -- on my wish list.

Do you have a page listing all the laser cuts your currently have available / programmed? It would be delightful to peruse ( and add to my wish list ).

Have you thought about setting up something similar to Shapeways, where people can 'sell' their designs? It might be a nice way to some of our scratch builders to create short kits, for example.
jeffsch is online now Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch View Post
John, the box looks very useful -- on my wish list.

Do you have a page listing all the laser cuts your currently have available / programmed? It would be delightful to peruse ( and add to my wish list ).

Have you thought about setting up something similar to Shapeways, where people can 'sell' their designs? It might be a nice way to some of our scratch builders to create short kits, for example.
Thanks for the inputs. Pretty much what I have to offer that is already designed and might be useful to others is seen on this thread. It is a hobby so as I get time or need something myself (like the battery caddy) I crank it out and share it here.

Shapeways is cool and doing that sort of thing is a cool idea. I don't think I have the time for such an project right now. If someone wants to sell short kits I am more than willing to produce the laser cut parts for them. I can also help them to design the parts if needed. And I am willing to drop-ship items for quicker service.

I also have access to a 3D printer. Next item on the list is a pan and tilt camera mount that will pop out from the bottom of an aircraft and retract for landing (I hope).
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
367 Posts
laser

how do you do your pricing ?

what thickness and max size ?

scott
k3gol
patternpilot1 is online now Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:51 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Max thickness is 5mm. Wood and acrylic only. 9x14" is the max size.

I haven't done enough to establish a good formula, but let's discuss what you want to do and I can come up with a quote. My goal is to keep it low cost for you.

There are 4 things which affect the total cost:
1. Design time - if it takes me significant time to create the object in a CAD program I may need to charge for that. I likely won't charge for design time for simple items like a custom control horn, motor mount, etc.
2. Materials - I don't mark-up the price on materials.
3. Cutting time/Setup- for each cutting I adjust the power and speed of the laser based on the material. A 5mm plywood requires 3 passes of the laser at 90% power to ensure it cuts all the way through. Thinner plywood may take few passes and I will be able to reduce the price. If I am cutting multiple sheets with the same parts then I only need to setup the system once and just tell it to cut the same pattern again for each new sheet...this will reduce the overall cost.
4. Shipping - I usually quote $5 to $8 for Priority mail but I can adjust that cost if you need it Fedex next day or if you want to save a few bucks I'll send it regular mail.

I am probably a good option only if you need something unique or custom built like the quadcopter in the photos. If you are looking for common items like control horns which can be mass produced easily, then you will likely find the same or better price elsewhere.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:32 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Update

I now have a larger CNC laser which has a 12x20" cutting area. This means larger jobs and faster lot-jobs.

Here is the latest design, it is a Battery Caddy that is sized to fit in a small military ammo can. This keeps batteries well organized and safe during storage and travel. When you get to field, just open the ammo can and pull out the Battery Caddy. The Battery Caddy sells for $30, free shipping to U.S.

Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:33 AM
No flying at the Control Tower
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
PM Sent
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Olympic Valley
Joined Feb 2013
278 Posts
can you laser cut composites?
STMPNGRND is offline Find More Posts by STMPNGRND
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:48 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STMPNGRND View Post
can you laser cut composites?
Unfortunately, no. Mainly light ply, balsa and acrylic.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:17 PM
No flying at the Control Tower
Canada, NT, Inuvik
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
hey, its this thread

I recently purchased a plastic front panel plate. Cuts are precise and service was excellent. Turn-around was fair, but my entire file had to be reworked, which was done for free, so i'm not complaining!

Would recommend. A+
karikamiya is offline Find More Posts by karikamiya
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:31 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikamiya View Post
hey, its this thread

I recently purchased a plastic front panel plate. Cuts are precise and service was excellent. Turn-around was fair, but my entire file had to be reworked, which was done for free, so i'm not complaining!

Would recommend. A+
Thanks for the kind words. I would love to see how the panel looks when operational. Post here if you can.