SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cornwall,Ontario,Canada
Joined Mar 2002
174 Posts
Discussion
Castor oil question.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking into the idea of mixing my own glow fuel like a lot of you already have. I already figured out olive oil does not mix with methanol (cheap experiment).

My question is what is the difference between cosmetic grade and medical grade castor oil? I have found a place that sells cosmetic castor oil in just about 4 liter jugs for a good price. Can cosmetic grade be used in our engines?

Thanks
Chris
finallyaheli is offline Find More Posts by finallyaheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,920 Posts
I'm guessing the medical grade is refined a bit more?????

Maybe someone smarter than me will be along shortly.

Ken

Will this help?

http://www.castoroil.in/
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Last edited by kenh3497; Jun 01, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,213 Posts
PEG-40 "hydrogenated castor oil" is used a lot in cosmetics and as far as i know is totally unsuited for our use. whether or not there is a cosmetics grade of real castor i do not know. maybe find some small natural soap company that caters to hippies and ask what they use.

medicinal is just fine but if you're buying from a pharmacy then you're getting royally raped on the price.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined May 2004
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyaheli View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking into the idea of mixing my own glow fuel like a lot of you already have. I already figured out olive oil does not mix with methanol (cheap experiment).

My question is what is the difference between cosmetic grade and medical grade castor oil? I have found a place that sells cosmetic castor oil in just about 4 liter jugs for a good price. Can cosmetic grade be used in our engines?

Thanks
Chris
Castor is available from Sig, Klotz, and Fox among others. Is there a problem with shipping to Canada?

jess
Jessiej is offline Find More Posts by Jessiej
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,164 Posts
On one of the forums a guy said he has been using castor oil bought from a farm supply store. Apparently it is used in some way on horses. He was buying large quantities at a reasonable price. Hydrogenated means made more saturated, fewer double and triple bonds between carbon atoms. I wonder what effect that has on the properties of the oil.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:37 PM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
I used to buy food grade castor from American Shortening and Oil Company in Livonia Michigan. They were right next door to Sun Electric Product Development Div. when I worked there so it was convenient .

Back then I bought 5 gallon cans for $20 !

Called them last year and they still had it , but now closer to $20/gallon or perhaps more .
For those in SE Michigan anyhow, this could be a source . The oil worked perfectly in the FAI fuel we were using at the time .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
Medical grade just means the castor plants were grown under US Pharmaceutical rules and regs. SIG castor has been degummed which means less carboning in an engine and is the recommended oil for model engine use. Clarence Lee has written on the subject many times and one of the volumes of his R/C Engine has a dissertation on this subject.

Also Medical Castor USP is sold for other uses if there was an over production of it in a given time frame. It's no different than the other castor out there. If is was degummed SIG could be selling it.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:23 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
526 Posts
If I could get the cosmetic grade castor oil I'd mix a small batch of fuel up using it and try it on an engine which is not "critical" to you and which you know runds well.

Personally I expect the cosmetic grade castor would be very good as a model engine fuel lubricant.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Medical castor oil price in Belgium

I am going to run my Enya 41-4C diesel shortly so I went to my pharmacy to buy some medical castor oil, price was 17,40 euro for one litre.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald