HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:39 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Build Log
Yet another Trumpeter 1/144 Seawolf build

And sail, dive, surface, and recovery; I hope.

First, let me introduce my self. My name is Fred, I have been an avid RC hobbyist since I was in 14 in 9th grade and got my first plane (2006); the last 2 or 3 years I have gotten into footy class sailboats (all of mine are wood, classic looking) and 18" micro planes, so I am not a total neophyte to this kind of work and building.

That being said I have never built a submarine before, I have thought about it for many years and 2 days ago picked up the Seawolf kit at my local hobby shop to convert to RC.

I'm going to have to buy a 75mhz system as I only have 2.4ghz radios at the moment (kind of wish I never sold my Hitec laser 4 )

The water tight compartments are garlic bottles that I bought (and put the garlic powder into a new container), the lids have a foam rubber gasket that I added, tested them last night in the sink and they seem to be holding up just fine. I still need to finish working out the seals for the push-rods and drive shaft. I'm thinking basically a tight fitting brass rod inside a tube with a good dose of petroleum jelly. Something pretty similar for the drive shaft, just with a little added bit on the drive shaft to kind of make the cross section have a hump in it that is the same size has the main part of the stuff box, but with an even larger piece of brass over that. I'm sorry that that's not very clear, I will draw something up later that hopefully will show this better.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Aft WTC and drive shaft...

Today I started work on the aft WTC, the most complex one as well. The drive shaft is sealed (I hope). I would go into trying to explain it further, but I can't word it any different than I did in the pictures. Tomorrow is the pushrod seals, possibly servo and motor installation, and more painting of the model.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Nice and low cost. I'm a bit concerned about your garlic powder bottle wtc. Those are quite thin walled, they could cave in once you dive. I think you're better off using a PVC pipe.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Formerly Nuke Power
United States, NY, Gloversville
Joined May 2007
426 Posts
Epoxy doesnt like to stick to plastic very well. Did you prep the bottle and add some "tooth" so the epoxy has something to grab to? You may find as water gets to it the epoxy will eventually separate from the bottle.

It is also a good Idea to align the shaft before setting it.

You may also find that the motor size you have selected may not be big enough and could over current your make shift servo esc. Do you know the map rating for it?

For pushrod seals I recommend using o-rings.. You could easily sandwich one between two of your brass bearings and then sleeve the whole thing,

Have a look at this thread. You are starting off from base 1 and perhaps a little info might help.
http://roguesubworks.com/downloads/diy-rcab.pdf
Rogue Sub is offline Find More Posts by Rogue Sub
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The main idea though is lower cost for the whole sub; I'm trying to see what I can and can not get away with as far as materials goes. Should it not work as well as I would like I am going to remove the WTC's and try a different design. This one is my "trainer" sub so to speak, the idea is low cost and a lot of DIY.

The bottles are going to have some foam and ply bulkheads holding an equipment try in place, so there is some support there. I did consider using PVC pipe, but I also wanted something I could see through.

I didn't prep the bottle beyond washing it and wiping it down with isopropyl alcohol. I have used containers like this in similar fashions as keel bulbs that are also battery compartments on a few of my sail boats.

The shaft is aligned to the center line of the bottle, I am making the WTC's removable in case they do not work, or need to be serviced.

The motor is from the same servo as the board, with the pinion ground off.

I happen to know just the place to get the o-rings in the size I'd need, I'll pick those up tomorrow.

Thank you very much for the article, I am going to read through it this evening.

Like I said, this is very much an experiment to see if I could make a dynamic sub with what I have on hand, plus a few easy to find pieces. The garlic bottle WTC idea I got from Derk's spice bottle submarine thread.