HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:05 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Discussion
Need some motor guru help powering my Y6 Bolt Multirotor

The site i bought this wonderful frame with recommended A2208/12 1800Kv motors from giantcod for the Y6 Bolt Frame I was building.
Frame:
http://www.quadframes.co.uk/index.ph...chk=1&Itemid=1

Here she is with said motors:




Its a wonderful frame but with this power combo it doesnt even lift off until 75% throttle and the motors are screaming. It sounds like a tiefighter. Cool but I was hoping for power and stability. As it is now, If the multirotor is flying down and I need to burst the throttle, it can barely keep it from hitting the ground.

quadframes.co.uk Shrediquette Bolt y6 Multirotoror (0 min 50 sec)


The Motors Used in picture are A2208/12 1800Kv Outrunners from Giantcod running on 5x3 GWS. I've also tried the 5x3x3 props with no improvement.
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/a220812-...-p-405608.html

After emailing the owner he recommends Robotbirds c22-16-18 1800kv (roxxy clones)

I would prefer to order some motors here in the US. Maximum Diameter between the motor supports is 36mm height would be 24mm.

Does anyone have any motors they would recommend? I will be running 3s batteries with 5x3 props and 10a ESCs.

Would really appreciated any recomendations for motors I can get stateside with the power to equip this frame with FPV gear, a gopro HD, and an OSD> The Frame manufacturer says I can run 8x4 props if I'm on the heavy side.

Thanks for the help!

-D
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:38 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
acetech09's Avatar
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I find it slightly hard to believe that that frame can stay stable with 8x4 props. It seems a bit inherently unstable as is. Although I haven't seen any youtube vids of it, I'd be hesitant to fly that thing. Also, the fact that it IS a hexcopter also makes it inherently loud.

After looking around for a while on the internet, I haven't been able to find any motors that fit on any U.S. websites. I've found a few european ones, and a bunch of asian ones, but no ones that are at least re-sold in the US. I don't know how adept you are at custom-buildling a bit to get these to fit in your hex, but here is my suggestion:
Turnigy 3020 Brushless Outrunner Motor 1800kv: It would take a 2S and 6x3 props but would give you 2lbs of thrust. And draws 4A so you could get good flight times with a ~2000mAh battery. That's one of my favorite quad motors right there.

Granted those will probably not work in your setup - I'd have to know more information to make a good match - and I also don't know how easy it would be to get one in America - I don't have much experience in that. You COULD go with a Neu motor . Those are pretty american. And expensive. And awesome. But I doubt you want to spend $300 on motors for that thing.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:25 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Thanks for the time looking and advice. Thats generally what I've found as well.

It actually flies stable once in the air off the ground and away from prop wash. Very stable. It just seems to have a lot of trouble with throttle and power and severely underpowered.

I found the same thing with the motors. I think I may try the 6x3x3 props and if that doesn't work maybe the robotbird motors.


Heres the same frame flying circuits. They are insanely cool to watch fly once tuned and with the right flying combo. Appreciate your time. If the props dont work I'll look into the robotbird motors or maybe even the roxxy's and go big

Bolt circuits (2 min 40 sec)


Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
I find it slightly hard to believe that that frame can stay stable with 8x4 props. It seems a bit inherently unstable as is. Although I haven't seen any youtube vids of it, I'd be hesitant to fly that thing. Also, the fact that it IS a hexcopter also makes it inherently loud.

After looking around for a while on the internet, I haven't been able to find any motors that fit on any U.S. websites. I've found a few european ones, and a bunch of asian ones, but no ones that are at least re-sold in the US. I don't know how adept you are at custom-buildling a bit to get these to fit in your hex, but here is my suggestion:
Turnigy 3020 Brushless Outrunner Motor 1800kv: It would take a 2S and 6x3 props but would give you 2lbs of thrust. And draws 4A so you could get good flight times with a ~2000mAh battery. That's one of my favorite quad motors right there.

Granted those will probably not work in your setup - I'd have to know more information to make a good match - and I also don't know how easy it would be to get one in America - I don't have much experience in that. You COULD go with a Neu motor . Those are pretty american. And expensive. And awesome. But I doubt you want to spend $300 on motors for that thing.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:37 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
acetech09's Avatar
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
That does look pretty nice - it's the fact that with 8x4 props the tips will almost be touching each other that would make it a bit unstable.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:55 AM
Registered User
MagnusEl's Avatar
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Looking at the pictures I would say that the propps on the underside motors is mounted the wrong way. The dull side should be facing up as they do on the upper motors.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:41 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
acetech09's Avatar
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
They look fine to me, but I could be mistaken. But you should hold the quad and make sure the motors aren't spinning the wrong way, too. Could be that. I've known some props that make a crapton of noise when they spin the wrong way. Hold the quad while you feel the air coming off those fans and see if there's any problem there.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:09 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEl View Post
Looking at the pictures I would say that the propps on the underside motors is mounted the wrong way. The dull side should be facing up as they do on the upper motors.
in the picture they were. caught it before first flight

It'll hover, just feels tremendously underpowered. Trying some 6x3x3 props. Should help.

I really want to use this for narrow FPV areas.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:10 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
They look fine to me, but I could be mistaken. But you should hold the quad and make sure the motors aren't spinning the wrong way, too. Could be that. I've known some props that make a crapton of noise when they spin the wrong way. Hold the quad while you feel the air coming off those fans and see if there's any problem there.
Thanks, first thing I did actually was test each prop/motor in Openpilot output pane. All those EScs and motors and upside down etc.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:48 PM
Registered User
AlexnderH's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
167 Posts
The video titled "Bolt Circuits" is mine.
I flew it with 1800kv roxxy clones on a 1300mah nanotech 3s with GWS 5x3x3's.

I always found it to need around 70% throttle just to hover. Very low on power, but once you got it bombing around in circles it seemed to be ok (weirdly)....and i always managed around 8 minutes flight.
AlexnderH is offline Find More Posts by AlexnderH
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:56 PM
Registered User
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEl View Post
Looking at the pictures I would say that the propps on the underside motors is mounted the wrong way. The dull side should be facing up as they do on the upper motors.
Nice catch!
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:34 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
daign's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexnderH View Post
The video titled "Bolt Circuits" is mine.
I flew it with 1800kv roxxy clones on a 1300mah nanotech 3s with GWS 5x3x3's.

I always found it to need around 70% throttle just to hover. Very low on power, but once you got it bombing around in circles it seemed to be ok (weirdly)....and i always managed around 8 minutes flight.
Thanks for the info. Thats a nice video found it during my research

Odly my frame doesn't have the vertical G10 plates for cameras etc. I'll have to make my own eventually. I plan on trying this frame with a Naza GPS as well.

This frame has the vertical mounts but looks to be a one off frame:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525789



Just seems like its a difficult frame to get off the ground needs about 70% throttle, but once up it flies fine. I have some 6x3's I am going to try but I'm too wrapped up with different projects right now.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:44 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
The site i bought this wonderful frame with recommended A2208/12 1800Kv motors from giantcod for the Y6 Bolt Frame I was building.

<snip>.. The Motors Used in picture are A2208/12 1800Kv Outrunners from Giantcod running on 5x3 GWS. I've also tried the 5x3x3 props with no improvement.
That A2208/12 1800kv Brushless Motor is a 39 gram motor by the specs listed there.

Quote:
After emailing the owner he recommends Robotbirds c22-16-18 1800kv (roxxy clones)
The Roto Birds Motor Comparison Table shows the C22-16-18 motor as being a 19 gram motor.

I don't know how well the qualities of those two motor compare but if the recommended one is only 19 grams I'd think it would not be nearly as powerful as the 39 gram A2208. By the 3 Watts per gram rule of thumb I would only expect the C22-16-18 to be about half as powerful.

If you considering other prop choices, maybe the prop testing data at FlyBrushless.com will help you. They have a considerable amount of test data for the Suppo A2208-12 and that is the same motor as far as I can tell:

Suppo - A2208-12 - http://www.flybrushless.com/motor/view/48

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
May be the extra 4ozs of motor isn't helping. If lighter motors can turn those props at the right RPM. loosing a 1/4lb couldn't hurt, could it?
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
May be the extra 4ozs of motor isn't helping. If lighter motors can turn those props at the right RPM. loosing a 1/4lb couldn't hurt, could it?
You're probably right. And I thinking that those smaller motors might be pretty good motors. That table also lists the prop size as "8x4 max (2S)" so the fact that the guy is using 5 x 3 props is going to make quite a difference.

There are big prop fans and small prop fans in use on the quads. I'm just lurking are and don't have one yet but I'm going to start with big props simply because that is what I like best now. I have a suspicion that the big props will work better and be easier to control but don't know that for sure. Not yet.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion I need some help figuring out how to wire something up to my Rx asd9000 Radios 4 May 11, 2012 09:57 PM
Discussion Need some help with my power system copperbricks Power Systems 1 Mar 03, 2012 11:20 AM
Build Log Need some help on Power guys. Ben Morrow Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 11 Nov 16, 2011 02:39 PM