HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:40 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Thanks Bruce. I've never been keen on competition but nothing is more satisfying than watching a model "fly off the building board', to use the old cliche.

The red and yellow parasol I have pictured did just that. The Bluebird was super easy to trim, I just slid the wing forward about an 1/8th of an inch...done.

I'm really amazed how well these old designs fly, not a contest model by any stretch of the imagination but it's really great when the sun shines through the tissue at 50 feet high while it circles overhead for 2 minutes.

Eric
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Well here is the Sky Chief all covered. I still need to drill and bush the nose block and carve the prop. I know Texaco is not exactly Jimmie Allen's fuel but that company did have a grade of gasoline called "Sky Chief" and I like the logo. So much so, that I made a decal of it for the tail. The rest of the airplane is covered in Texaco colors with the Texaco Star on the wings and my usual Jimmie wings on the side fuselage. Big balsa wheels are very soft and light. Did not put it on the scale yet as I will wait until I have the prop installed. Seems like it weighs less than the Bluebird with the same wing area. The gentle sweep of the wing is different than the other JAs I built. The fuselage is relatively short for the span, will hold a lot less rubber than the Bluebird. These pics are pretty poor and I will get some better shots by my photographer wife outside tomorrow.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
The colors and the logo brings back lots of memories. A beautiful little plane, EC!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,291 Posts
Eric

Really nice! Love the logo too. What is the span?
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Span is just a tad over 41"! The wing looks huge compared to the rest of it. I built this from a Bob Holman laser cut short kit.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:10 PM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
My Skokie

Here's my Skokie Cabin, from the Easy Built kit. I've made the wing removable, and used the Jimmie Allen "tissue cals" by Easy Built. Very nice straight forward building kit. I built the stabliizer as one solid unit, rather than the two halves. I thought it would have more strength that way.

Glide tests (without a motor) are good so far, but I'll have to wait a couple of months to fly it outside. We have a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Normally, outdoors, I'm an RC guy, but I can't wait to try my first outdoor free flight build.
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:14 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhable View Post
Here's my Skokie Cabin, from the Easy Built kit. I've made the wing removable, and used the Jimmie Allen "tissue cals" by Easy Built. Very nice straight forward building kit. I built the stabliizer as one solid unit, rather than the two halves. I thought it would have more strength that way.

Glide tests (without a motor) are good so far, but I'll have to wait a couple of months to fly it outside. We have a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Normally, outdoors, I'm an RC guy, but I can't wait to try my first outdoor free flight build.
Very nice! I'm sure she will be lovely in the air!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:56 AM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhable View Post

Great looking airplane! You should think about carving a prop for it. It's not as hard as you may think. Good call on that stab too, I never had luck with the two piece stabs...pain to get straight and really weak.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2009
55 Posts
Hello Jimmie Allen modelers.
On post #49 I noticed a nice "toolbox stooge" used by ECBoehm. That looks handy. Do you stake it down? You must I would think. My stooge hooks to my car, but many times a stooge out in the field would great.

Skip.
Shell Fish is offline Find More Posts by Shell Fish
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Fish View Post
Hello Jimmie Allen modelers.
On post #49 I noticed a nice "toolbox stooge" used by ECBoehm. That looks handy. Do you stake it down? You must I would think. My stooge hooks to my car, but many times a stooge out in the field would great.

Skip.
Yes...staking down is a must. I have two holes in the back bottom corner of the box. I have two 3" long nails (10 penny?) that I push straight in by hand. It's never failed me. This year I intend to make a "stand up" stooge! That bending over is getting old....or maybe it's me getting old. hmmmmm?
Old May 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Not a good day for Jimmie Allen!
Old May 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,291 Posts
Sorry to see that beautiful model get crunched. I did the same thing once with a Fokker DVII that I very carefully detailed and airbrushed! I fell your pain--get some long aluminum nails like they use for gutters and use them to anchor your stooge. Best of luck on your next JA. I am mentally debating which one I want to build right now--long debate--many months!
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
The stooge wasn't the fault....it just did a giant loop and crashed.....needed down thrust, less rubber, smarter pilot........
We get cocky when we get older!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Last post on this thread was 6 months ago, high time for a breath of life here. I love these things too, and here is my Parasol. Maybe a bit of a porker at 45 grams so far, but I still can't estimate what the covering will add. Hopefully not a lot. I have added several gussets and extra tissue anchor sticks and panels that hasn't helped, but I still think it will come out OK. This is about 3 weeks into the build.

Starting the covering tonight and I've set a lofty goal for myself with the scheme. We'll see how all that comes out. Not sure I'm skilled enough with tissue to make it look the way I want it to.

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2009
456 Posts
Excellent craftsmanship! Are you going to carve a wood prop?