HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
Thanks. I have a Sky Chief short kit from Bob Holman to do next. The hangar is getting crowded!
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,411 Posts
Beautiful bird Chris--bet she flies really well.

USNG

Thanks for posting the Jimmy Allen radio show--I listened to several episodes last night. It is addictive!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
You'll never be free of him Eric
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
Some pics from this past summer
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:15 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Beautiful! What sort of times can you expect from them? Tempted to build a Parasol...

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak 52 View Post
Beautiful! What sort of times can you expect from them? Tempted to build a Parasol...

Jon
Though I never maxed my Parasol I have heard of a few that have flown away OSS. I get a pretty consistent 2 minutes with mine and yet to find a real thermal. My Bluebird has a simple DT. My first trim flight on it went nearly 2 minutes so i think the DT will be essential once it's sorted out properly!
Eric
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,411 Posts
Eric

Those are two great looking Jimmy Allen models!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
I have completed the bare skeleton of a Jimmie Allen parasol fighter. It willl have floats rather than wheel pants and some other minor tweeks to the framework. I will post pics of the unassembled bones as soon as I can. This model and the Yellow Jacket are my favorites and I could not resist the temptation to modify the fighter for floats.
USNGMG2 is offline Find More Posts by USNGMG2
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing that!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
Sky Chief in progress. Lots of lumber in this one, structure is mostly 1/8" square. Bob Holman's short kit is perfect.
Progress will slow a bit as I have to go back to the day job tomorrow.

I really like this logo but probably not accurate for JAs. I may borrow that font and color scheme though.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Ah yes . . Sky Chief gas! Wasn't that the sponsor of Uncle Miltie? (Milton Berle, early and much loved TV comedian of the late 1940s and early 1950s for those of you that are age deprived) I can still remember the singing quartet that were dressed in Sky Chief overalls singing the ads. One sponsor for the entire program (as were the old radio programs), unlike today's multiple ads. And Uncle Miltie hollering "MAKEUP! and a person of small stature (we used to call them midgets, but we can't say that anymore) would run across the stage and with a running jump, hit Uncle Miltie across face with a giant powder puff.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
All that was way before my time Planeman!

(very funny though!)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:47 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,639 Posts
I lost track of this thread for quite a while now.

Eric, going back a bit on your motor question 4 loops of 1/4 is more than enough and should provide you with a good strong climb for much of the motor run. In fact you may want to run some experiments with 3 loops of 1/4 or 4 loops of 3/16 along with the heavier 4 loop motor to see which gives you the better dead air time if you manage to find such conditions. My thinking is that 4 loops would be great for windy days where you want to get up high and hopefully snag those passing thermals. But on calm days the greater amount of turns and longer powered cruise and slower glide with the lighter AUW of the 3 loop might just make it better for those conditions.

Something to consider as well is that after using a lot of 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 rubber over the years I find that the 1/8 strand motors seem to suffer from less ripped and blown motors. I suspect, but can't prove, that it's due to the tension difference from center to edge is less due to the narrow width. And as a result the narrow strands do not seem to suffer from edge nicks that join both faces as readily. The big deal here being that once an edge nick connects the two faces of the strand we have a major weak point which becomes the next blown motor's point of failure.

I CAN say that I've had far fewer blown motors since going to 1/8 strand for everything. And it takes a lot to get a motor to where I can find strands with full thickness tears in the edges with the 1/8 rubber. And that simply was not the case where I was using wider rubber.

And of course there's the advantage that it's easier to make smaller power changes when our unit of power is only a loop of 1/8 rubber instead of 3/16 or 1/4.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
466 Posts
Bruce,
Thank for your thoughts on rubber motors. I was actually going to try 1/8" motors on the Sky Chief. I'm not going to order rubber until we get closer to spring time.

I originally went to models like these rubber old timers to simplify my life but the science of these things is every bit as involved as any of the old glow motors I struggled with when I flew CL stunt ships!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:42 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBoehm View Post
....I originally went to models like these rubber old timers to simplify my life but the science of these things is every bit as involved as any of the old glow motors I struggled with when I flew CL stunt ships!
It only gets as complex as we want it to be. The trouble is that those of us that dive in and try for ultimate performance in one area are seldom happy with merely adequite performance from ourselves at anything we do.

I might deliberately "hamstring" a rubber model so it has limited performance for small field conditions. But one little bobble in the glide and the clay and super thin shims come out. We just can't help ourselves despite that these "issues" are doing exactly what we set out to do for a limited performance model in the first place. Even within the self imposed limitations we still can't help ourselves tuning the model to give the maximum.

It's a curse I tell ya.... But it does result in some REALLY nice models such as we've seen in this thread from you and Pat ...
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews