HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2000
89 Posts
Discussion
Why aren't we seeing birds from other manufacturers?

Main reason for my question is that it seems like if you are looking to buy a "hobby-grade" bird (like park hawk or slow hawk), the choice is really limited to SK/Hobbytechnik. I suspect that there are a lot of folks out there willing to shell out $250+ one if it's immediately available, or even with a week or 2 of wait. Given the wait time for SK birds mentioned in this forum, it makes one wonder why aren't there other manufacturerse, local or abroad, who can offer us hobbyists competing products (as well as competing prices, technologies, etc...) as seen in other segments of our hobby.

Is it because the market for ornithop birds is a small one that SK/Hobbytechnik alone can meet the demand? Judging from interest in this board and the order backlog, this seems unlikely.

Could it be that these are complex machines and labor intensive to build such that nobody else can manufacture and sell for the same prices or less? Again, this seems unlikely given the availability of other equally (if not more) complex flying machines such as electric 3D helis for much less from large number of sources.

Or could it be that SK/Hobbytechnik has a strong patent on RC ornithopters to ward off potential competitors? If so, why do you see the "toy-grade" birds like the cybird and avitron out there, unless they have different mechanics?

What do you think? I for one, long for the day when our choices for birds and parts are much more readily available (not to mention at lower prices) as seen in other r/c hobby sectors. Are we getting there? Are there new developments to be seen in the coming months?
tqpham is offline Find More Posts by tqpham
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
108 Posts
The Chinese could easily crank these out for $69.95 like they do the larger RC helicopters but apparently they don't feel the market is there or simply don't know about it. Some small enterprising Chinese company could do quite well if they came out with a simple membrane wing model like Sean's. Although I may be giving him too much credit I suspect part of Sean's strategy in antagonizing potential and real customers is to keep the ornithopter audience small and discouraged with limited public exposure to preclude competitors from entering the market. Hmmmmm.... Anyone have some Chinese connections?
Bwattie 2 is offline Find More Posts by Bwattie 2
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
I guess they were told to stay away from this particular creature/project
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:34 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,017 Posts
Chiness have copied Korean CYBIRD 1 and 2 10 years ago,but failed dued to quality issues as well as too many afterservice complaints.
once have both two birds
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:45 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,182 Posts
magic bird is similiar korean bird there is two sizes
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
Well Yes Guy, Yes There is a Other One Doing Very Great Nice work & very Good Quality 50" Bird & i Compare, is Great Workman ship & full of Parts Stock / Repair. with full facility Cnc machining & Tools Set-Up.

The 50" Bird is using Full 3K Carbon Fiber Fuselage, Twin Support Front Tip & Tail Support Servo, Removable / Slot In Wingspan & with all Available Colour Rip-stop fabric, Wingspan You Can Mix Colour or Print on Graphic. Very Fast Reply Email, Promise delivery send out by time. Production 3-5 working. i Now No worry on Parts & Easy Self Repair. It also Come in Optional Glide Sensor & work Great.

Well Yes i Have SK Bird in the Past,, But After is Crash the Tail & body is Break, Main Bar end join to body support also break off. And After Been Review SK Feedback from this Forum, i know i can't have good Parts support from SK,
even the Bird had been delay to send out. & No Hope from SK.

So i Had Decide to Change it to All New Ornithopter Kit, & with Good Support Services.
Protoseni is offline Find More Posts by Protoseni
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
108 Posts
Protoseni, What is the link to the site?
Bwattie 2 is offline Find More Posts by Bwattie 2
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,182 Posts
boo
therealthing691 is offline Find More Posts by therealthing691
Last edited by therealthing691; Jun 03, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:06 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
367 Posts
New Manufacturer

Looks like Protoseni is going into production. This is all I could find by searching:
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...ithopter/page2

It will be interesting to see if it's real, if it flies well, what the price is, etc.

Richard S
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
I think that Protoseni speak about :
http://translate.google.com/translat...26prmd%3Dimvns

and especially he means this bird when speak about full CF version with glide lock position sensor. I don't think that this bird is in production but maybe i am wrong. The Koreans colleges have something like "Magic bird club" :http://cafe.daum.net/cybirdcluband probably this bird is made personally by some member.

Ornithopter of the best magicbird (4 min 52 sec)

they have very big like 3.2 m wing span and "Avitron" comparable birds as well but not sure are they in production.
BIG!! magic bird (2 min 7 sec)

RC...magicbird (3 min 59 sec)
seagull10 is offline Find More Posts by seagull10
Last edited by seagull10; Jun 02, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF226 View Post
Looks like Protoseni is going into production. This is all I could find by searching:
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...ithopter/page2

It will be interesting to see if it's real, if it flies well, what the price is, etc.

Richard S
Ooo...ps. I missed your post Richard. Thank you for the information.
Kinkade for sure isn't the best guy on the planet but I hope he has some INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.
@ Protosemi if you want to produce ornithopters, you are welcome but you have to design your own original bird before that.Otherwise you will look like regular Asian thief .The copy job is very well done and it is probably better than the original but still COPY.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:06 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
367 Posts
Property Rights

Good question. I have no idea if Sean has either patents or copyrights. I also don't know enough about ornithopters to know what you could patent or copyright. People have been building ornithopters for years so the basics have been out there. While we may not like copying instead of original R&D, it may not be illegal.
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined May 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF226 View Post
Good question. I have no idea if Sean has either patents or copyrights. I also don't know enough about ornithopters to know what you could patent or copyright. People have been building ornithopters for years so the basics have been out there. While we may not like copying instead of original R&D, it may not be illegal.
Ok lets we give it a name and start buying

I suggest :"SweetyBird CF V-2"
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:22 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
3K Carbon Fiber Fuselage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwattie 2 View Post
Protoseni, What is the link to the site?
Hi Bwattie, Yes i am carry in this for my Flyer, Is Look So Great Finishing with 3K Carbon Fiber, is come with Motor, ESC & Great with 2 MG Servo.

The 3K Carbon Fiber Material is from Hongkong & Gear Parts from USA. & with good support & Business Trust from the Supplier. I am Now No Worry on No Date Delivery to my Buyer.

And the Best thing is with Fuselage Stock & Ready Done your Custom Colour WingSpan with Received Photo by Email than you Pay. & this is call Trust. I like
this. So You Do Not need to Pay First.

I just Got the New Set Carbon Fiber within 3 day, Look so Reality & much fierce to catch the Rats.......i will Maiden it.
Protoseni is offline Find More Posts by Protoseni
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
Congratulations guys, now you can get your birds from Bangkok in no time, carbon material, color graphic, etc. and reliable sources for parts. Order them now. Especially we will see a happy face from the flying pig not too long from now
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood