HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
Discussion
how to fix down and lock retract problems

I have purchase over 7 set of down and lock retracts and had problems. After shipping them back as many as 4 times on 4 of the gear, I decided to try to fix some of the issue myself. They fixed the glitch problem half way, but if you use hitec servos such as 81 or 75 with servo extension, you will need to still put rf filters on EACH extension. If you dont, you may burn up your servos like I did.(i lost 6). I got the within the last couple of months, so you may ask if this problem is resolved yet. The other problems you may find like I did, no locktight, check althread for clearance, the althread may eat up the block it moves in( i put some lite oil to stop it from hanging up). If you use their gear, they WILL NOT WORK with large conversion on ESM sequenciers because I have a set and they take over 13 seconds to close. This will also cause problems with the nose gear.You will not be able to use the rudder input until the gear is down or up. If you do, the nose gear will get stuck half way up and you will have to cycle the retract before you can put them down if you have enough fuel or batt. I found this site that offer a better deal for your money http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/elec...ue-p-2483.html
gizmos is offline Find More Posts by gizmos
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,816 Posts
What brand? What size? Are you using 180 degree retract servos?
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
down and lock retracts

This is the company name. I was going to test fly a 14 ft 85lb falcon 7x tomorrow with a 9ft 38lb me262. We were checking the gear before we loaded the truck. My customer was here and when we tried to put up the gear on the ME262, one stopped working. After checking, it is another bad board(3 time these will be ship back due to defects) The falcon gear stop working and one motor was making a weird noise( this is the 3rd time they have been back for defects) THESE TWO PLANES HAVE NEVER MADE IT TO THE AIRFIELD DUE TO DEFECTS IN THE DOWN AND LOCK RETRACT CONVERSION FROM MITCH. SO FAR, OUT OF 9 PLANES WE CONVERTED TO THE "DOWN AND LOCK SYSTEM", ONLY TWO HAVE EVER FLOWN. THE OTHER PLANES GEAR HAS BEEN SEND BACK TO THE TUNE OF $340.00 SHIPPING FEES OUT OF MY POCKET, NOT TO SAY HOW MUCH LABOR I HAVE SPENT. THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY COST AS OF TODAY WHICH HE AGREED TO. I HOPE THE GEAR THEY ARE NOW SELLING TO ROBART ARE BETTER THAN THE ONES SOLD TO ME.. MITCH( OWNER OF DOWN AND LOCKED RETRACTS) STARTED OUT A NICE GUY UNTIL I SAID SOMETIHNG ON THE NET ABOUT PROBLEMS I AM HAVING, NOW HE TURN OUT TO BE JUST LIKE "EASYTIGER", TAKE YOU MONEY AND LEAVE YOU HANGING! SURE WISH SOMEONE HAD A GOOD SET OF ELECTRIC FOR BIG PLANES.
Last edited by gizmos; Jun 01, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:45 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,816 Posts
Why not just use good mechanical units and 180 degree dedicated retract servos? They have worked for years on larger models like yours....
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
down and locked

Here is an email from the down and locked company to me. This just lets you know how many issues I have had with his product. I have been told, he is working to resolve the issues but it does do much for the money I am out.

Gregg I cant get the link to complete it reads error try re pasting and sending again. Curious how the gear did this time around also. if they did not perform as they should dont tell me just send a hitman down here to put me out of my misery. Thanks Mitch

Mitch Stott
Down and Locked Retract Systems
828 817 0412
308 Watermill Dr
Mill Spring, NC 28756

We don't make the retract we make
it better by converting your existing
retract to electric operation
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,556 Posts
I'd suggest you move this to the vendor portion of the forum.

I use Robart or Hobbico mechanical retracts, or EFlite electric ones.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
retracts

I just order tamjet retro eflite gear, I have hear good things about them. I like the mechanical ones if you have the room and the plane is not to heavy. I am ordering some gear from dreamworks rc, their stuff looks like a great solution to retro fitting . We flew the falcon 7x with the gear locked down and it flew great. it has 14ft ws and 12 long with 3ea of tamjet 120 with 6ea 6s6500 maxxamp batteries...weight in approx 80lbs....I will post video very soon of the falcon and Me262 at 38lbs on 14s packs