HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Question
Aileron & flap quick connects for wing connect

Is there a system that allows for a quick plugin for wires in the wing when attaching wings? I mean plug wings in and your set...If not WHY
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
It's not impossible, some use Multiplex connectors.

Glider builders seem more likely to do it.

Here's the first example I found:

http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/mmm/mmm.html
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old May 31, 2012, 03:23 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,606 Posts
The Multiplex Cularis powered glider uses such a setup. It works well with minor modifications.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old May 31, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thanks, I was thinkin the same thing. I thought that the connectors should be an easy fit as the wing connection would keep them together. I do think however that there is a commercial product already out there. It is such a pain to grab wires and get them out of the way so you can slip your wing in. Dave/ZEE
Old May 31, 2012, 07:17 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,719 Posts
Some people like to use a standard 9 pin sub D connector for this. They are readily available at Radio Shack.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thanks Larry, that's what I'm talkin about. That would give you a true plugin wing. I'm gona install in my P-51 and Pawnee and what comes next. Dave/ZEE
Old May 31, 2012, 08:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,690 Posts
This is the multiplex connector that is used by some. They are normally available in other pin counts too I think:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/6-pin-wing-connector.html

With the six pin model you can combine all of the power (red center) and ground (black or brown) servo leads on two of the six pins and then use the other 4 pins to handle the signal wires for up to four servos.

Here is another one here that has six pins, not sure but I think it is a Graupner part.

http://www.icare-rc.com/connectors.h...ns_plug_system

And that last one can be put into housing too:

http://www.icare-rc.com/wing-connect.htm

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Check out some of the glider guy's set-ups. You really only need 6 connector points for a 4 servo wing. I've seen it done with two standard servo connectors, custom wired .100 stand-off thingies from the computer supply store. I've even seen just the metal connectors from inside a standard servo connector used like a motor connector, soldered and shrink wrapped.

Some of those glider guys get pretty creative. You might see something you like if you look around for a bit.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:09 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
I've been a bit leary about trusting the connection for "automatic" devices such as those shown. What I do is glue the female portion of the connector in the inboard section of the wing and leave the outboard portion as a pigtail. Still allows one handed joining of the wings, but at least I know the connection is made. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
I agree with Sabrejock. Would prefer a more positive connection than a plug-in system like that. I certainly would not use a DIN plug like the one pictured above: not enough contact area and might intermittently lose contact with any wing movement. That connector was designed to be used with a plug that has screws on either side for a firm connection.

What I do is set up a box for the plane and the wing halves (I suspect Zeezee is inquiring for his P-51 ) so that the fuse sits in the middle with a slot front and rear for the nos and tail, and the wing halves go on either side with longer servo wire so everything stays connected. Easy to transport to field. Plane lives in the box at home on a shelf when not in use.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:37 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,690 Posts
"..I certainly would not use a DIN plug like the one pictured above: not enough contact area and might intermittently lose contact with any wing movement..."

Considering the typical current levels on a single servo leads, a decent quality DB-9 or DB-15 with gold plated, double-D crimped, male and female contacts should be able to handle the same amount of current as the contacts crimped on in typical servo lead. The DB-9 and DB-15 have round pins that are a friction fit into a round socket, those look as good as if not better than the standard flat pins in a typical servo connector.

Here is a spec sheet on one, it says it is rated at 7.5A:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1564235.pdf

The visible screws on the outside go to hold the two halves together, if you had then fitted so that the wing would have to either be removed or fall off to break the connection, I would have a lot of confidence in the connections.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Thanks, I was thinkin the same thing. I thought that the connectors should be an easy fit as the wing connection would keep them together. I do think however that there is a commercial product already out there. It is such a pain to grab wires and get them out of the way so you can slip your wing in. Dave/ZEE
"It is such a pain.......".

On my B-17, with plug in wing halves, - (and this is just on one side remember), I have to pass the six wires from the two motors through a hole into the fuselage, (2 motors to 2 ESC's). Then the servo extension lead for the ailerons, (Ok I cheated, no flaps), also through a hole into the fuselage. Also I have to line up the torque rod I use for the mechanical retracts, (1 retract servo in the fuselage).
I have to do all that twice, once each side.

Slide in wing halves into the fuselage and lock them.

Then the real fun begins.

I have to connect those six motor leads to the two ESC's, twice. Then connect aileron leads to the 'Y' connectors, and all this takes place inside the fuselage.

Woops!, nearly forgot the batteries.

They, (two 4500mAh Lipos), have to side into their tray and the velcro strap applied, all takes place in the front of the fuselage, one hand in from the upper over wing hatch, one hand in from the removable nose.

The easy bit is plugging the batteries in. But then It doesn't work because I forgot to install the 4.8v nimh pack I use for the RC, another connector.

And you dare talk about 'pain' ......

Actually I don't mind at all, as I know I will really enjoy flying the model.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Last edited by eflightray; Jun 02, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I really appreciate all this info, all good. But after thinking about it I did think about loosing the plane because the wing loosined up a bit and it is not worth it. Having though one connector hard the mounted and the using one with both servo's wired to it and doing a plugin would greatly simplify process. I got alot to work with here and yes it's for my P-51 and my new H9/Piper Pawnee. I will have the addition of nav lights on the Piper, more wires, I'll get that B-17 guy yet ...Dave