HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 06:49 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Discussion
yet another reason to stay away from the Big Apple ...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...ver-16-ounces/
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old May 31, 2012, 06:55 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
Good, NYers deserve Bloomburg .
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old May 31, 2012, 07:47 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
I don't know that a mayor has the righ to do what he is proposing. I do think soda is just as bad for a person as cigarettes and should be treated as such with high taxes. I would be much happer if the mayor mandated exercise programs for kids in schools to fight obesity.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old May 31, 2012, 08:12 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I don't know that a mayor has the righ to do what he is proposing. I do think soda is just as bad for a person as cigarettes and should be treated as such with high taxes. I would be much happer if the mayor mandated exercise programs for kids in schools to fight obesity.
I'd be much happier if governent would get out of micro-managing our lives by dictating how we live and what we eat.

The moment that road was approached where government gets to decide that they know best about how to protect us, and apply those protections over our free will, then we have given control of just about ANYTHING that the government deems is a hazard to us, and that can and does include literally EVERYTHING we do during EVERY SINGLE DAY of our lives.

Using that principle, we will soon see pretty much anything banned, or any activity controlled, or any freedom we now enjoy, taken from us under the guise of "public safety".

By the way, there is nothing more stupid looking than a grown adult on his or her bicycle wearing one of those silly looking bike helmets, peddling along at 5 mph.
Lord, save me from such embarrassment.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 31, 2012, 08:13 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
I'd be much happier if governent would get out of micro-managing our lives by dictating how we live and what we eat.

The moment that road was approached where government gets to decide that they know best about how to protect us, and apply those protections over our free will, then we have given control of just about ANYTHING that the government deems is a hazard to us, and that can and does include literally EVERYTHING we do during EVERY SINGLE DAY of our lives.

Using that principle, we will soon see pretty much anything banned, or any activity controlled, or any freedom we now enjoy, taken from us under the guise of "public safety".
"Safety" is the most dangerous word in the Government's language. The sooner the people recognize this fact, the safer we will all be.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old May 31, 2012, 08:16 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:

I don't disagree. I do think obesity is one of the largest problems in our country and soda is nothing more than a poison. It has no value whatsoever. It is very much like smokes in that regard. That said I used to drink a lot of soda and I smoked for 16 years. I don't think it would be bad for the government to tax sodas and apply all of that money to school gyms and exercise programs. The benefits for our country in the short and long term would be very substantial.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old May 31, 2012, 08:19 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
By the way, people, this is how you ride a bike.

While not me, it is almost exactly what you would see if I were to ride by you if it were me.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:27 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
AH, The real reason is those big slurpy cups jam up the sewers. LOL
They work like a beaver dam and cost the city millions.

There HF , I fixed it for the mayor. LOL
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 31, 2012, 08:28 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I don't disagree. I do think obesity is one of the largest problems in our country and soda is nothing more than a poison. It has no value whatsoever. It is very much like smokes in that regard. That said I used to drink a lot of soda and I smoked for 16 years. I don't think it would be bad for the government to tax sodas and apply all of that money to school gyms and exercise programs. The benefits for our country in the short and long term would be very substantial.
And thus you take the first steps on the road to hell through justification and rationalization.

Once you put those in play, you allow your government to do ANYTHING to it's population.
You have personally rationalized the government being justified to make rules over it's subjects that are outside Amercian Constitutional Precepts.
Now that you've done that, you are no longer any use to this government because you have given them control over you along with everyone else.

I challenge you to re-think your position about things you really, really want your government to control by force of law.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:30 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
3.4 million people fled New York state in the last 10 years and 600,000 moved to no income/estate tax Florida. This nanny city move by Bloomberg illustrates why people are voting by their feet to live their lives where freedom from government intrusion can be enjoyed.

I actually chose on my own to give up Big Gulps years ago. Imagine that, making your own choices in life.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 31, 2012, 08:36 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
417 Posts
Quote:
By the way, people, this is how you ride a bike.

While not me, it is almost exactly what you would see if I were to ride by you if it were me.
Except you would be wearing a helmet, right?
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old May 31, 2012, 08:55 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
I ride with fullface helmet, leather jacket, boots, gloves and MC specific jeans (with pads and kevlar patches) .... not because there's some law that requires me to do so, but because I've choosen to mitigate as much risk as possible when i ride.

My choice.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old May 31, 2012, 09:08 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Except you would be wearing a helmet, right?
Ummm.... I guess you missed the point.

Nobody lives forever.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
3.4 million people fled New York state in the last 10 years and 600,000 moved to no income/estate tax Florida. This nanny city move by Bloomberg illustrates why people are voting by their feet to live their lives where freedom from government intrusion can be enjoyed.

I actually chose on my own to give up Big Gulps years ago. Imagine that, making your own choices in life.
I wish the libs were as interested in protecting us from fiscal bankruptcy as they try to appear in supposedly protecting us from ourselves.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old May 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I ride with fullface helmet, leather jacket, boots, gloves and MC specific jeans (with pads and kevlar patches) .... not because there's some law that requires me to do so, but because I've choosen to mitigate as much risk as possible when i ride.

My choice.
And God Bless you for that.

You see, people, it's all about choice and not having someone looking over your shoulder every day to guarantee your safety.
YOU guarantee your safety to whatever degree you deem it should be guaranteed. It should not be a governmental responsibility.

Again; rationalization and justification to get government involved will ultimately lead to you losing control over MANY things that you never thought of controlling yourself.