Old May 31, 2012, 05:42 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
Suggestion
Equal moderation / anonymous moderators

Greetings.

I have just received a warning which I believe stretches all bonds of credibility. There is a member whois very active in the multirotor forum who consistently and reliably appears in any thread related to a certain manufacturer to denigrate that manufacturer and members here who use their products.

This member is a commercial vendor of products in the same general category, and he does not actively disclose his commercial interest in these activities.

Recently, a thread in the multirotor forum discussed this vendor and the appearance of "sock puppets" supporting the vendor. As one would expect, the aforementioned member jumped in with both feet. During the course of his posts, he made a claim that he "doesn't read" threads related to this manufacturer.

However, his post counts in the threads show that he posts on average once a day in one or another of the threads concerning this manufacturer's products.

I pointed this out, and received a warning for "trolling". My message was removed pending editing.

The member in question directly called me an "e-stalker", which is tantamount to accusing me of committing a criminal act. This post was reported, but the post report was apparently ignored and the post remains open to public view.

Of course, you cannot directly reply to the staff member who issues a warning, as they are concealed behind an anonymous staff account that does not accept replies.

I submit that this is not a reasonable way to treat the users here.

I would appreciate having an administrator review this matter, and I would be happy to forward the PMs regarding the warnings to the designated individual. I have omitted names here in the open forum, as that would probably garner a fresh warning since the member involved is apparently of a stature that forbids questioning of their actions.
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Quote:
Of course, you cannot directly reply to the staff member who issues a warning, as they are concealed behind an anonymous staff account that does not accept replies.
This is why we have Site Suggestions/Complaints. Any user can appeal a warning here.
It looks as though you have edited your post so an appeal cannot be made at this time.
Here is a post about how the appeal process works:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551788
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old May 31, 2012, 10:37 AM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
What about the other substantive issues, including the accusation of stalking which was reported and yet is still in the open forum?

It seems absurd that the staff member directs a member to edit their post, and compliance with that direction is then used to deny consideration of the action. Talk about a catch 22....
Old May 31, 2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Quote:
It seems absurd that the staff member directs a member to edit their post, and compliance with that direction is then used to deny consideration of the action. Talk about a catch 22....
It is impossible to make a ruling on a post after it has been edited. If you don't agree with an infraction in the future don't edit it and request an appeal.

Quote:
What about the other substantive issues, including the accusation of stalking which was reported and yet is still in the open forum?
If you have reported a post and no action was taken you can also appeal that here.
Provide a link to the post you feel should have been warned and it will be moved to the appeals section and reevaluated.
Administrator
Old May 31, 2012, 10:51 AM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
It is impossible to make a ruling on a post after it has been edited. If you don't agree with an infraction in the future don't edit it and request an appeal.
Unless this vBulletin installation is vastly different than the others I have experienced, there is a post history where the original content can be viewed.

I can also provide, as indicated in my post, the original post from the PM I received directing me to edit it.

Quote:
If you have reported a post and no action was taken you can also appeal that here.
Provide a link to the post you feel should have been warned and it will be moved to the appeals section and reevaluated.
Sure - here is the post in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
You can't ignore threads. I would gladly do so if it was possible. When I see front page of MRH filled with "DJI xyz" it gets tiring especially if I have zero interest in the subject.
And stop e-stalking me and counting how many posts I have in what threads. That's entirely my own business.

You know very well there are no mods on this forum.
The individual post link is http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=31
Old May 31, 2012, 03:19 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
And several hours later, the personal remark remains intact.

I guess some members here are more equal than others. How unfortunate.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Which warning do you feel applies for that post? I will need that to create the appeal.
Administrator
Old May 31, 2012, 04:35 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
Take your pick - it is an accusation of criminal conduct (stalking). Could be considered a personal attack, could be considered trolling for a reaction.

On second thought, just forget it. I've gotten the message that conduct is evaluated based on the poster, not the words.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I'm curious why you think we have a bias towards this user?
Administrator
Old May 31, 2012, 04:50 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious why you think we have a bias towards this user?
Because he trolls constantly, it gets reported and nothing gets done.

Factual complaints about his trashing other vendors without disclosing his commercial interest get pulled very quickly, with warnings issued.

From my perspective, it appears this member can do no wrong in the eyes of the forum staff, who continue to allow him to bash a competitor's products without disclosing his own commercial interest.

And if I simply point out that he's posted a great many posts in threads about DJI in response to his claim that he's not at all interested in those threads, I get warned.

And for the final piece of the not at all difficult puzzle, his claim that I have engaged in criminal conduct (stalking) against him is allowed to remain on the forum despite it being reported AND brought to your attention.

What would you think in my position?
Old May 31, 2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I can assure you the moderators have no reason treat this user any differently than you.

I have added more instructions to the "How to make an appeal" post to cover your situation as well:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551788

I will also take at look a the post in question.
Administrator
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jun 01, 2012 at 08:30 AM.