HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
Discussion
down and lock retract problems

I have used numerour down and lock retract conversions and had issues with them. July would make 1 yrs that I have been dealing with the on going problems NONE OF THESE PLANES STILL HAVE NOT FLOWN I 've taken retracts out of 7 planes as much as 3 times and ship them back due to defects or engineering issues. I was promissed by mitch he was going to refund me on my loss. Some of the problems, broken screw drive, jammed screw drive because of soft metal or that was the reason given, burn out motors, broken wires in leads, not assemble correct(binding), rf noise( burned out 6 servos), control board burned out, contol boards had different power requirements(had to put a bec just to supply power to his unit), his unit has problems with other door sequencier, to list just a few of the problems. I posted a commitent about the issues I had. I said that Mitch was a nice guy and hope the problems was resolve soon. We need this type of conversion, althought his min charge is approx $500 for a small set and as much as $1,800 for larger ones, plus you must supply the gear. I would pay this money if I did not have to return them 3 or 4 times for issues.
Here is an email from him when I ask him to ship another high dollar set of gears to me and I would take it off what he owed me. NOW the shipping cost was only $25.00.
YOU CHOOSE WHO YOU WANT TO DO BUSINESS AFTER READING HIS EMAIL, I HAVE VIDEOS OF THE ISSUES IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE. .
I think after the post you had on RC universe about the problems you had and glitches on your servos with over 50 % of your conversions pretty much squared us up. I will ship the gear to you at no charge I am not worried about that. But I am surprised with what I read considering that at no time did I not take your calls and work with you in every way possible to resolve the situation of which we now have solved. Isn't this how you said it "Mitch is a nice enough guy I hope he gets the problems fixed". at the end of your comment.

It turns out the motors were the culprit and we were as perplexed as any one why this problem started out of the blue and what was the cause. Sure we have had a problem and will possibly have more from time to time But I can assure you we will correct any issue that comes up just as we did this time. John Redmon from Horizon Hobby had some gear that was affected do you want to know what he had to say about it. "it's not whether or not you have a problem its what you do about it" Now he had every reason in the world to make post about our product and give Eflight a feather in their hat but he didn't he talked to me personally about it.

Agreed you are entitled to your opinions and you were speaking facts but at no time will I ever be able to reach the people who have read your words and have them feel comfortable with our conversions in their aircraft. There is no telling what that will cost us in future business.

I can tell you that I was contacted by a customer who read your post or comments "Thats how I knew it was there" and still has not decided to send his gear for conversion because he has a very expensive airplane and just isn't convinced that he would not have the same problem in flight I did my best to ease his mind but I am not in this business to beg people to convert their gear.

At this years Top Gun event we had 5 pilots there using our gear they all worked flawlessly no glitches no complaints only perfect scores for scale gear operation.

For what its worth Gregg we have not lost a single aircraft due to that problem. Everyone that we built gear for at that time had the same issue including BVM Jets Robart and believe me they had hundreds of sets with the same problem. And the individual customers as well, and only you felt the need to go public. We have resolved every single issue with every customer even the ones who had not experienced a problem. We had them return their gear for a motor replacement once it was determined to be the problem. I do not know what else a company could do to stand behind its products or services. Mitch

Mitch Stott
Down and Locked Retract Systems
828 817 0412
308 Watermill Dr
Mill Spring, NC 28756

We don't make the retract we make
it better by converting your existing
retract to electric operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Mitch
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: corsair

Go ahead and ship it, I will give you credit on the back charges for the labor/shipping fees due to the problems with the gears sets.I will do the final billing for my customer and I will send you a breakdown on shipping cost and labor.
Thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: Gregg
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: corsair

shipping only $25.00 approximate. Mitch

Mitch Stott
Down and Locked Retract Systems
828 817 0412
308 Watermill Dr
Mill Spring, NC 28756

We don't make the retract we make
it better by converting your existing
retract to electric operation
THIS IS THEIR VIEW, MINE IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT AND A VERY COSTLY LESSON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gizmos is offline Find More Posts by gizmos
Last edited by gizmos; May 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
video of problems

I will soon post a link to videos of numerous issue I had with down and lock retracts, hope this will help you resolve some of the issues before you messup servos or crash a plane. .
gizmos is offline Find More Posts by gizmos
Last edited by gizmos; May 31, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 31, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,151 Posts
wait.. so they fixed the issues you had, but your still un-happy? I'm not sure i really understand what you are trying to get at? The emails seem to say your gear is now fixed and this wasn't an isolated issue..

From his email you posted, I would have no problems sending him a set of gear (other than it costing to much IMO) to convert as it seems he has worked hard to track down and figure out what the problem was..

But maybe i'm not seeing the same since we are basically getting page 50 of a 50 page transcript...
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Yea, I don't get it either. Sounds like D&L had a unforseen problem with their gear, fixed the problem and for some reason you are the only one complaining and badmouthing them on numerous public forums.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Yea, I don't get it either. Sounds like D&L had a unforseen problem with their gear, fixed the problem and for some reason you are the only one complaining and badmouthing them on numerous public forums.
Your really aren't seeing the entire story here from Gizmos. As an example, he went to test fly today two of the larger jets today with his customer and both gear failed on the bench for different reasons. Mind you these are gear that have been returned for repair numerous times.
I can understand his frustration.
I think Gizmos gave up on ever getting this resolved to his satisfaction so he decided that others should under stand what he went through with this. Mind you we aren't talking about the average consumer who only has one set of gear fail but rather quite a few sets.
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:29 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,921 Posts
FYI , i have followed the saga for quite some time . I was going to get the same gear for my larger Corsair. I dont know what to think at this time but do know ---that in the long P40 thread from Hobby King guys are taking delivery as we speak on this gear .
THat forum is very outspoken , so if they dont like them or there is a QC continued issue you will see and hear about them very soon by subscribing to the thread on "Hobby Kings Giant P40 thread"
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm