SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Jyester, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
Discussion
free flight glider convertions

this entery is about converting free flight gliders to rc. Recently i attempted a conversion on a hobby-lobby zoomer glider. auw was 50-52 grams, including balast ball. The ball on the scale weighted 7 grams. I used the rimfire 200 micro motor up front in the nose. I hollowed out the area under the canopy which by the way has a lot of room as you will see in pics. Next i opened up the area behind the cockpit and it extends well past TE of wing. This area will house 2 servos and the rec. as well as the battery connection. The battery is safe in the center of wing with hatch to remove it for charging. Two of the servos are electrifly 4grammers these will control elevator and rudder. The third servo is a 2.5grammer from hobby king. This servo sits atop of wing just behind canopy. I made full span ailerons added 21/4" rudder to fin. The elevators were cut from the horizontal stab and joint with micro wire and tube used as bearing glued in notch and join with glue to both halves of elevator. I use a .8 carbon rod for pushrods in a sleeve. The ails i used micro wire. All surfaces were beveled and move freely. The esc is a hobbyking 6a and has shortened motor wires but a longer battery connection with micro deans. Battery is the new 250 electrifly lipo for the micro f-86 anylink plane from hobby zone. for is size it has a 20c discharge rating which is perfect for my little glider converstion. auw will be 89grams. thats alot but look back 3 servos a esc,rec,and 12 gram motor, pushrods and sleeves glue weight! Its a tad bit over 3oz's motors rated for 3d preformance at that weigth for sport flying,trainer 114 grams "strong motor". hopefully i can get these pics to load up so you can see the work.
Jyester is offline Find More Posts by Jyester
Last edited by Jyester; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
photos to convertion blog

more pics in the previous blog
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Nice work Jyester
I have 3x multiplex fox
1x art tech diamond 600
1x air rider

and there are a couple more that i would like to buy/convert. Normally i build the fox as per the previous builds on here , now i am looking towards using those micro boards that are prebuilt and come in small planes/helicopters , just need to save the cash.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:21 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Nice work Jyester
I have 3x multiplex fox
1x art tech diamond 600
1x air rider

and there are a couple more that i would like to buy/convert. Normally i build the fox as per the previous builds on here , now i am looking towards using those micro boards that are prebuilt and come in small planes/helicopters , just need to save the cash.
I'm waiting for a fms g600 glider from banana hobby $9.90 . I like these little gliders plus I get to fly along with the spectrum umx planes like the costly carbon cub! Try these out Es-18 from electrify $14.00 each. They handle up to 5v all you need is a esc with 5v bec. Save you money those boards are good but not needed. Try also the rimfire motors the 150 & 200 the pull my fox with authority. The 200 is perfect for the zoomer from hobby- lobby. I say go for it but those boards with the brushless set-up are costly. Plus you need the eflite motor and the cost too. Try those electrify bet they'll become you favs! Thanks for comment post some pics of yours would like to see them.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Hi Jyester , your fms 600 is identical to my Diamond 600 and the "zoom" looks identical to the air rider.

I am thinking of something along these lines

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v3/5...irecabbage.jpg

Twin servos on a receiver board with a place to solder a standard small brushed motor ( yeah i know ) , but , brushed motors such as the one from the smaller rc craft such as the mosquito have decent props and a bit of power and it wont be running constantly.
The board would be orientated so that the servos could be used to control fully moving stabs , so only elevon control.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Last edited by scousethief; Jun 05, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
Scousethief I know where your coming from I also thought about the spectrum boards. The weight savings alone would be worth it. I fly futaba so no boards(s-FHSS). I found the Es-18 they work fine. Awaiting the g600 so I can gut it out and have everything inside the fuse, except for ailerons which will be out on the wing some but not to far! Most of these gliders come around 44- 50g so if I can add just 10-15g then I'm good! Soon as I start on it it will be a how to blog with alot of up close shots and possibly a video. Later
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
First flights

On a Sunday evening about 5:00 lite winds warm sun what more could you ask for! I pull out this little conversion plane with full span ailerons, a 200 sized motor and three servos. When I launch it into the air I noticed it had plenty of power. Climb out was great then I hit the right aileron and the fun began. Talk about out of control! Before landing it safely I noticed she was tail heavy. I removed both pennies I had taped to the tail dailed down the throws on the ailerons set the dual rate switch. This flight was calmer and uneventful more glider like and the amount of power was awesome! Loops, rolls, stall turns, tail slides! Think I built a winner! The zoomed is a worth while conversion for any modeler. Take things slow and remember lite flys rigth! Happy trails.