HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have never built with depron but i think iam going to order some MPF soon and give it a try . I have only built with foam for a year so still learning and i figured i would stick to the cheap stuff till my planes realy looked like planes.lol OH -BTW Iam a super for a construction company so i do get blue dow 6 mm fanfold free in bunks but its alot of sanding to get the waves out. joe
I built with the blue 1/4" dow board once (I still have a few sheets) , and it was a lot of work making it smooth. I decided just the stick with depron, since it's really smooth and flat. I don't like depron's brittleness, so it's really a trade off in end.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
I built with the blue 1/4" dow board once (I still have a few sheets) , and it was a lot of work making it smooth. I decided just the stick with depron, since it's really smooth and flat. I don't like depron's brittleness, so it's really a trade off in end.
Yea the blue stuff bends great and its tuff but i spend a hour just trying to sand it smooth and it does not paint well either when you want a white background. I have heard good storys about model airplane foam but iam a cheap ars also.lol My local hobby shop wants 16 bucks a sheet for depron and i literly can walk next door in the strip mall and by dollar tree foam and now they sell a nice razer cutter with the break off tips for a dollar and its big . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
$16 !! that's hi-way robbery! I pay $10.99 a sheet from our local (expensive) hobby shop. I have heard good things about MPF, but have never worked with it. Just order you a case of depron from RCfoam and don't look back.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
I asked the price from a pimply face noob when i called my hobby shop ,if i go in and see the owner he gives me 20 percent off of every thing but kits and kits he will let me have cheaper than ordering them online. Even at 10 bucks a sheet i thought that was two much too.What kinda glue do you use ? iam using gorrilla glue now and elmers rubber cement .
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
I asked the price from a pimply face noob when i called my hobby shop ,if i go in and see the owner he gives me 20 percent off of every thing but kits and kits he will let me have cheaper than ordering them online. Even at 10 bucks a sheet i thought that was two much too.What kinda glue do you use ? iam using gorrilla glue now and elmers rubber cement .
I have been using UHU por. It's a type of foam safe contact cement. There is also foam tac by Beacon which is similar.
Last edited by jetcaptain; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
cracksmeup,

I tried the fan fold, and don't like the sanding either. Since you are in the construction business, can you get blue foam (pink works, too) 1"x24"x8' tongue n groove sheets? That is what I have used to build several 42" GRX-2 3D planes. If you have a hot wire system, you are 90% set up. I built a removable "slicer" on the bench top using a "G" guitar string and sliced the 1" foam down to 12mm (6mm for smaller planes) and the sliced part comes out pretty smooth with little or no sanding needed. Takes less then 15 min to build the slicer. I love getting a block of EPP and slicing 4 or 5 6mm airframes out of it. A lot cheaper then buying 6mm sheet stock. Aside from the usual "bow" foam cutter, and slicer I just mentioned, I also built a removable vertical bench "band saw" style foam cutter with a G string and hardware laying around the shop, and that comes in very handy cutting out small and large parts out of the foam board.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Dec 07, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
cracksmeup,

I tried the fan fold, and don't like the sanding either. Since you are in the construction business, can you get blue foam (pink works, too) 1"x24"x8' tongue n groove sheets? That is what I have used to build several 42" GRX-2 3D planes. If you have a hot wire system, you are 90% set up. I built a removable "slicer" on the bench top using a "G" guitar string and sliced the 1" foam down to 12mm (6mm for smaller planes) and the sliced part comes out pretty smooth with little or no sanding needed. Takes less then 15 min to build the slicer. I love getting a block of EPP and slicing 4 or 5 6mm airframes out of it. A lot cheaper then buying 6mm sheet stock. Aside from the usual "bow" foam cutter, and slicer I just mentioned, I also built a removable vertical bench "band saw" style foam cutter with a G string and hardware laying around the shop, and that comes in very handy cutting out small and large parts out of the foam board.

SpadCat
I use 2 inch blue foam on the outside of all my 8 ft high concrete walls now before we back fill the foundations ,new IL code .I guess no one has explained to IL that its 58 degrees when you get 42 inch down past the frost line.lol The foam does not sand well and i have never tried my bow on it but i will let you know. I use chunks of it to stick all my screwdrivers and needle nose plyers in on my work bench.lol joe
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
2" would work and give you twice as many airframes! .

Most of the airframes I have cut from blue foam have been flat fuse 3D ships, but for my balsa Super Pacer project, I used blue foam for the canopy and wing tips, and while I like to work with Depron better, I was surprised at how well and easily the blue foam sanded to shape, and I could get it much smoother then Depron. The sanding techniques was different in that I had to watch for balled up foam that would leave grooves. Just had to make sure I keep the sandpaper clean.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
2" would work and give you twice as many airframes! .

Most of the airframes I have cut from blue foam have been flat fuse 3D ships, but for my balsa Super Pacer project, I used blue foam for the canopy and wing tips, and while I like to work with Depron better, I was surprised at how well and easily the blue foam sanded to shape, and I could get it much smoother then Depron. The sanding techniques was different in that I had to watch for balled up foam that would leave grooves. Just had to make sure I keep the sandpaper clean.

SpadCat
For 90 percent of my sanding balsa or foam shaping i bought set of some of these 15 years ago and have never wore them out yet. I dont own the new angle one here but i will for a x-mass gift to myself.lol http://www.averytools.com/products.asp?dept=20
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Had another good flight of the Patriarch today. Took my father with me (also a commercial pilot, but not currently flying ) , and he was really impressed with the way it looked in the air. This plane is also a lot quieter than my pusher jets, not sure why, maybe it is the bigger prop??

I also busted my motor mount again on the landing. I may throw some wired gear on there, just to keep the prop from hitting the ground. Time to mix up some more epoxy, or switch to a carbon mount.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Had another good flight of the Patriarch today. Took my father with me (also a commercial pilot, but not currently flying ) , and he was really impressed with the way it looked in the air. This plane is also a lot quieter than my pusher jets, not sure why, maybe it is the bigger prop??

I also busted my motor mount again on the landing. I may throw some wired gear on there, just to keep the prop from hitting the ground. Time to mix up some more epoxy, or switch to a carbon mount.
Iam scratch building a foam canard stick and iam trying to get the fuse up high enough on the wheels so i dont do the same thing when it rotates . This is what that wing i was building is for . Dont mind the bench ,i always build this way.lol joe
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Iam scratch building a foam canard stick and iam trying to get the fuse up high enough on the wheels so i dont do the same thing when it rotates . This is what that wing i was building is for . Dont mind the bench ,i always build this way.lol joe
Looking good Joe. The canard reminds me of a Fokker wing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Looking good Joe. The canard reminds me of a Fokker wing.
The das canard stick was only kited for a couple years and kits are hard to find but i hunted the plans down for 7 years and finaly found them . Here is what it looks like framed with a 60 nitro motor in it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Its offley quite around here ! I hope you all got rc goodys under the tree and some flying time in also. My boss has me working or close to it latley so i have not been building planes just new houses in 20 degree weather. Hope you guys are still building . The girlfriend and my son bought me a funcub to bash but have not gotten a chance to open the box yet. joe
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Its offley quite around here ! I hope you all got rc goodys under the tree and some flying time in also. My boss has me working or close to it latley so i have not been building planes just new houses in 20 degree weather. Hope you guys are still building . The girlfriend and my son bought me a funcub to bash but have not gotten a chance to open the box yet. joe
Same problem here Joe. Between the Holidays and work, not much time too build. I did start on the fuselage of the Mach 2 pattern plane, just need to get the time to start another build thread. Work should start slowing down next week, so hopefully more building time will present itself.

Stay warm!