HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Fixed Landing Gear

Picked up a Park Zone landing gear set and it was less money then to buy separate wheels and a steel rod that I would have to bend, and installed them into the Pat. The nose sits a little higher than I wanted, but makes for better prop clearance. It is very sturdy and probably weighs less then the e-retracts. Can't wait to fly the Pat again, and now that the gear problem is solved I should be able to get multiple flights in per session.

Not sure at this time when I will start the Mach 2, as I have a 90% framed up balsa bipe project waiting to be finished.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Picked up a Park Zone landing gear set and it was less money then to buy separate wheels and a steel rod that I would have to bend, and installed them into the Pat. The nose sits a little higher than I wanted, but makes for better prop clearance. It is very sturdy and probably weighs less then the e-retracts. Can't wait to fly the Pat again, and now that the gear problem is solved I should be able to get multiple flights in per session.

Not sure at this time when I will start the Mach 2, as I have a 90% framed up balsa bipe project waiting to be finished.

SpadCat
Lon,

If I read that right, you picked up a parkzone retract set? I won't be able to start the Mach 2 for another week or so. Family is coming in, and won't have the time. Should be able to get some flights on the my Pat though. Still need to get some more 7x5 props. I did a search of the prop reserve and all I could find was 6x4's for my pusher planes. Looks like a trip to the hobby shop!
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I ordered it so i will see how good the stuff is ,you can never have enough foam in your collection anyways.lol I put together one of my wings for a scratch build of my own last night that iam working on ,its a little under 3/4 thick at the thickest point of the airfoil. I use elmers rubber cement on both sides so once you fold it you wont have to hold it anymore and a 3/16 x 1/2 inch balsa main spar. joe
Very nice Joe. You shouldn't have any problems building wings for the pat or mach 2. Simple and straight forward. I like it!

PS: Are you using 5mm foam board for the skin?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Lon,

If I read that right, you picked up a parkzone retract set? I won't be able to start the Mach 2 for another week or so. Family is coming in, and won't have the time. Should be able to get some flights on the my Pat though. Still need to get some more 7x5 props. I did a search of the prop reserve and all I could find was 6x4's for my pusher planes. Looks like a trip to the hobby shop!

The Park Zone is fixed gear I picked up from our LHS. I got tired of fiddling with the light e-retracts and did not want to wait for the new heavier e-retracts to come in as I want to fly the Pat as soon as I can again. I built a ply plate and mounted the fixed gear to it and then in turn mounted it to the retract ply plates embedded in the wing. Sounds more complex then it is and took less then 45 minutes to fabricate and install and it is very sturdy.

I use 9x6s on both the Pat and Tweety Bird and get good performance. Hope to get some serious (fun) flying in on the Pat as I really want to dial it in. As I wrote earlier, the last flight I finally got it to fly the way I wanted and started having fun with it until, even with a very smooth landing the retracts gave me problems and I could not fly it again that afternoon.

Have fun with your family!

SpadCat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
There are about 3 or 4 older pattern planes on page 2 and 3 here . If you click on the colored leters under the planes picture it will go to that free download.Help yourselfs men.lmao http://174.142.160.206/viewtopic.php...0b74dfb73baaeb Iam using dollartree foam but i sand anything you could see smooth ,the trick is to cut the groove then tape the outside before you bend it or it will break. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 05, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Thanks for the link! I have bookmarked it for future use. One of the plans there, the Dirty Birdy .60 is the one I used downsized to .20 size to build the Tweety Bird which I recently finished and is a hybrid between those plans and the Tweety Bird plans.

Coincidentally, my wife brought several sheets of Dollar Tree foam home recently that she thought I would be interested in.

SpadCat
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Thanks for the link! I have bookmarked it for future use. One of the plans there, the Dirty Birdy .60 is the one I used downsized to .20 size to build the Tweety Bird which I recently finished and is a hybrid between those plans and the Tweety Bird plans.

Coincidentally, my wife brought several sheets of Dollar Tree foam home recently that she thought I would be interested in.

SpadCat
I have wanted to build a air truk ever since the mad max movie and the plans are there. My local dollar tree store cant keep it in stock for some reason. lol I figured you and the captain would like a few of those plans when i found them today. joe
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
What a find Joe! Those plans make mine look like chicken scratch.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Ha ha i did not draw them just hunted them down and grabbed (borrowed Them) .lmao Help your self i noticed he said he wants only the finest prints on his site so we can (borrow). them when he posts more. joe
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
Nice work guys,!!! Jetcaptain or spadcat if you want a full set of Mach one plans shoot me a Pm Ill get them to you , I also have a Mk Aurora 25 and a Shooting Star 20 by Pilot that are just begin to be done in depron, Ill take them to Kinkos to have them scanned. Geoff
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Geoff,

Any plans that everyone could benefit from would be great. Building season is starting, so the more the merrier!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quick Battery Change

Ok guys,

Messed around with the Patriarch tonight. I was able to make a hatch in the turtle deck to access the battery. Getting the battery in and out should not be a problem any more.

Basically I cut an access panel from the turtle deck, then cut a slot in the upper fuse plate. Afterward, I created a shelf for the battery to sit on. I added some magnets for the new hatch to attach itself back the the fuse. Seems to work well. You can tell by the pictures that the "Pat" needs some cosmetic surgery, but she's flyable.

PS: You can also see most of the parts for the Mach 2 setting on the table. I have been more productive than I thought I would this week.

Chris
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Ok guys,

Messed around with the Patriarch tonight. I was able to make a hatch in the turtle deck to access the battery. Getting the battery in and out should not be a problem any more.

Basically I cut an access panel from the turtle deck, then cut a slot in the upper fuse plate. Afterward, I created a shelf for the battery to sit on. I added some magnets for the new hatch to attach itself back the the fuse. Seems to work well. You can tell by the pictures that the "Pat" needs some cosmetic surgery, but she's flyable.

PS: You can also see most of the parts for the Mach 2 setting on the table. I have been more productive than I thought I would this week.

Chris
I see you have the pink foam in the background but what is the white foam you are using captain ? joe
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Joe,

The white stuff is 6mm depron.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
I have never built with depron but i think iam going to order some MPF soon and give it a try . I have only built with foam for a year so still learning and i figured i would stick to the cheap stuff till my planes realy looked like planes.lol OH -BTW Iam a super for a construction company so i do get blue dow 6 mm fanfold free in bunks but its alot of sanding to get the waves out. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 07, 2012 at 09:06 AM.