SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Joe,

I use to build balsa planes until I found depron. I try to make the plans similar enough to balsa builds that the transition is not too hard for those getting into foam builds. As far as airfoils, I would like to cut my own with the hotwire I built, but finding foam thick enough locally has been a problem. I am sure it is around here somewhere, just got to find it.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
After two weeks in the ICU, the Pat looks like it will pull through. The doctor just has to put a new prop on, and it's ready for more action!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Glad to hear that your Pat is ready to fly. I will probably fly mine tomorrow or this weekend. I reduced the elevator throw down to 10mm and added more expo to ailerons. Not sure why I had 15mm as we discussed this before. That may help with the landings. The left retract is toast, but not a problem locking it in the down position. I tested the motor and it sounded like it picked up a rock, so I cut the front of the cowl off and blasted the motor with WD-40 and now it is working fine.

In regards to the Mach 1, I may build the fuse in balsa since I have so much of it and I know how to do a light weight paint finish. The wing will be KFM-4 Depron, and I am thinking of trying a low temp plastic iron on with paint trim as that is about as light as one can get.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Joe,

I use to build balsa planes until I found depron. I try to make the plans similar enough to balsa builds that the transition is not too hard for those getting into foam builds. As far as airfoils, I would like to cut my own with the hotwire I built, but finding foam thick enough locally has been a problem. I am sure it is around here somewhere, just got to find it.
I have a bow for cutting foam too but just like you the foam is hard to find and when you do find its to expencive too. I have built balsa planes now for 30 years and foam for 4 months and watching a couple different threads to pick up info . I get blue dow fanfold free off of my job sites and i buy dollar tree foam for the rest right now. If you find some decent foam for cutting wings please let me know . I use to honey comb my pattern foam wings to get them lighter before sheeting them in balsa with my hot wire set up but its a lot of setup time just to lighten up one wing . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Just printed off the plans for the Mach 2 and all I can say is WOW! This is going to be an impressive plane!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
What is the wing span captain and what size motor are you thinking ? I have enough to build but like i always say one more wont hurt. joe
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Quote:
Joe,

That is a interesting approach to building a wing. Thanks for sharing.
That is similar how we build coroplast wings for S.P.A.D.s It is almost as fast as building a KFM-4 wing. A wood yard stick is a common spar, but a foam or balsa spar can also be used.

SpadCat
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
What is the wing span captain and what size motor are you thinking ? I have enough to build but like i always say one more wont hurt. joe
Joe,

The wing span is 48.7 inches. Just slightly larger than the Patriarchs. I will be using the HobbyKing motor that Spadcat is using for his Pat right now. I think they actually only have that motor from their UK site now, but they have one that is very similar from the U.S. site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_550W.html
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Joe,

The wing span is 48.7 inches. Just slightly larger than the Patriarchs. I will be using the HobbyKing motor that Spadcat is using for his Pat right now. I think they actually only have that motor from their UK site now, but they have one that is very similar from the U.S. site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_550W.html
Yea iam not a big fan of hobby king but i can find a motor thats close here in the IL for it. Spad cat i have been using 3/16 balsa for my spars and running them at least 75 percent into the wing ,A plane like the one captian is drawing ,i would use the 3/16 balsa spar and then use flat carbon fiber flat stock on top and bottom (strong like bull !) . I'am just happy they make 48 inch long sheets of balsa .lol Pictures of the new one when you get one captain . joe
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Here's an idea to get foam core wing material. Price isn't too bad, considering what I pay for depron locally.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...styrene-Sheets
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Here's an idea to get foam core wing material. Price isn't too bad, considering what I pay for depron locally.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...styrene-Sheets
Thanks captain i hit the BUY button .lol joe
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2010
940 Posts
Best Flight Yet

Took the Pat and Tweety Bird out today and the reduced elevator throw made all the difference in the world. Thinking back, I did not check the throw after I installed the hs-81. A lot of fun to fly and landing was smoothest yet, not really fast and she just greased on. The gear is still giving me problems as they're just too light for a 3 lb plane. Need to order the heavier version that is performing well on the TB. As I stated before, rolls are fast but precise. Inverted flight is a very good. Don't see that the Pat has any bad traits (once set up properly) and she looks great on the ground and in the air!

SpadCat
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Took the Pat and Tweety Bird out today and the reduced elevator throw made all the difference in the world. Thinking back, I did not check the throw after I installed the hs-81. A lot of fun to fly and landing was smoothest yet, not really fast and she just greased on. The gear is still giving me problems as they're just too light for a 3 lb plane. Need to order the heavier version that is performing well on the TB. As I stated before, rolls are fast but precise. Inverted flight is a very good. Don't see that the Pat has any bad traits (once set up properly) and she looks great on the ground and in the air!

SpadCat
Thanks for flight report Lon. Yeah, 15mm would have been way twitchy. I had to put some dual rates on the elevator even with the throws at 10mm. She handled much better with the reduced throws.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Thanks captain i hit the BUY button .lol joe
Did you really order some? If you did, I can't wait to find out how it works for you. I am tempted, but since you had to buy 5 pieces minimum, I held back for now since I already put in an order at HK.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Did you really order some? If you did, I can't wait to find out how it works for you. I am tempted, but since you had to buy 5 pieces minimum, I held back for now since I already put in an order at HK.
I ordered it so i will see how good the stuff is ,you can never have enough foam in your collection anyways.lol I put together one of my wings for a scratch build of my own last night that iam working on ,its a little under 3/4 thick at the thickest point of the airfoil. I use elmers rubber cement on both sides so once you fold it you wont have to hold it anymore and a 3/16 x 1/2 inch balsa main spar. joe