HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Tested new motor with a new 8x6 prop and got just over 500w. That's over 150 watts/lb. Now I will swap out the 9 gram elevator servo for an HS-81. That's also over 100w more than what is in the 3.3 lb Super Pacer!

No, I am not going through the turtle deck. It will go through the bottom of the wing like a cartridge. This may shift CG slightly forward, how much will not be determined until I mock it up. But, I want to get a number of flights on it first.

So, have you got some full scale flying in lately?

SpadCat
500w! Don't rip the wings off. Your battery cartridge idea sounds pretty neat, will be looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Flew the real thing the other day. A co-worker wanted to take a tour of downtown Austin, so had a nice hour flight enjoying the Texas landscape.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Well, after replacing the elevator servo with an HS-81, she is ready to fly. Did a pull test and it hit 43 oz. The scale showed AUW 50.5oz, which is about 3 oz less than the initial weigh in. Can't figure out where I could have lost the weight, but probably just mis-weighed it the first time. Did a pull test and got 43 oz, so performance should be pretty good. Balance came out almost an inch forward, but not too worried about it.

Glad you got to do some full scale flying. I have a lady co-worker who mentioned that she has never flown, so since I have a client that has a 172 that he learned to fly in a couple of years ago and is always asking me to go up with him, I will take her along. One of my favorite joys of flying was taking up people who had never flown before.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Lon, when do you think the re-maiden will happen. I would like to fly mine some more, but the wind has just been too much for my little foamy fleet as of late.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Just took a peak at the weather, and tomorrow will be a great day to fly! Foam that is.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
A little damage

Had two really good flights with the "Pat" today. The winds were great, and she flew beautifully. Inverted flight was cool, and seemed just like flying the model in RealFlight G5.5 Did some aerobatic maneuvers and it handling them with grace. The Patriarch seems to be an all around good sport foamy with no bad tendencies.

Anyway, after the second flight, I was coming in nice and slow for a grass landing and the fuse caught something and broke part of the nose off. It is very repairable, and should have the Pat back in the air soon.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Good to hear that you had a couple of good flights. Sounds like an easy repair. Now if your Pat only had landing gear.....

The days here have been very calm, so hope to break away from work and try for the "re-maiden" of the Pat tomorrow.

I have also been doing repair work on several other foamies including my 6 year old grandson's Easy Trainer and Easy Star so that I can get him back in the air over Thanksgiving...yeah, I know, I have spoiled him...I gave him those rc planes when he was only 3 years old. Just could not help myself .

SpadCat
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Maiden X 2

Took the Pat and Tweety Birdy out today for both their maidens. First the Pat, since it already had a history and after the pre-flight and a short take off run she jumped into the air. Control was solid and just needed a little down elevator trim. Very nice flying airplane and the aileron rolls were very fast. I never retract landing gear on a maiden, just flew her around to get to know her. Looks great in the air. Inverted flight was nice with just a tad of down elevator. If one did not know any better, they would think she has a balsa ship. Had just a little crosswind and I think she will handle wind as good as a balsa ship. This old Army Airfield has a tilt, and I dropped her in from about a foot as the stall was higher than I thought it would be. Not surprised though at it's high AUW. Just tweaked one gear leg. If I knew she would be this heavy, I would have installed the next size up e-retracts as they are very solid on the Super Pacer and Tweety Birdy. This runway is pretty rough. Fun flying airplane.

Next, the Tweety Birdy's maiden went real well also and landing was nearly perfect. This time I landed on the opposite runway that inclines upward. Much easier. The aileron roll rate of the TB was a lot slower than the Pats, and will have to adjust for that.

All in all, an excellent day. Looking forward to flying both these planes more when I get the chance.

SpadCat
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Way to go Spadcat! Sounds like you had two great maidens. I was curious how much difference you could tell from the full airfoil wing on the TB vs. the KF foil on the Pat. I find the KF wing flies much better than the flat wing planes that I have built.

I have also attached some pics of the carnage from my Pat crash. It's going to be a really easy fix, since it only broke into three major pieces. It wont's be a hanger queen anymore. But you can't judge a plane by it's looks alone.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
HK Engine

Spadcat,

How was the performance of the new engine? I will put it on the fist post as an engine choice if you give it a thumbs up.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
It performed very well. I will be doing a post flight wattage test to see what it was producing after about 7 minutes of flight time. It gave the Pat equal performance to the Tweety Bird which has a LIghtning 25, the difference was the HK was a lot louder, but not too loud. I liked it and thought the Tweety Birdy was actually too quiet.

I didn't think there was that much damage to your Pat , but it looks like it is going back together quite well. I should post the photos of my son's Depron Polaris 120 after he slammed it straight into a wash wall and the rebuild photos.

Concerning the Pats KFM-4 airfoil, it flies just like a full airfoil even at the much higher speeds. Once I get a few more flights, I will wring it out to see if I can see the difference in it compared to the full airfoiled Tweety Bird.

Once I get used to the both these birds, I want to load in a 4s 2200 lipo. I did a test with it and got well over 700W out of the Lightning which is rated to up only 400W, so will use it only in short bursts.

SpadCat
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Lipo Accessibility

The biggest downfall of this design is inaccessibility of the Lipo pack without taking the wing off. I thought I would fly the Pat a number of times before working on a solution, but decided to try it tonight. I took a 3s 2200 and set one end down in the fuse, just behind the #2 bulkhead (clear of the wing mounting bolt) and drew the outline of the pack end on the bottom of the top fuse deck, then cut it out. To clear the lipo's wires, I routed out foam and routed on down into the canopy foam so the pack's end "plugs" in. I then drew and cut out a lipo shaped hole through the wing at the appropriate location, making a fairly snug fit for the lipo.

Now I attached the wing and inserted the lipo through the wing hole and then "plugged" the lipo into the roof of the fuse. The pack's other end is now flush with the bottom of the wing after routing enough foam from the canopy bottom. I then attached a piece of glass tape on the pack to act like a "pull tab" so that it can be pulled out of the fuse/wing easily. Works like a charm and can't be seen unless the plane is upside down on your stand. Next, I will build a lipo to ESC extension so that the pack's power wires can be plugged in before the pack is inserted in the plane. Lastly, I probably will add glass tape over the opening just for more security, and replace the tape before every flight or design a permanent latching system to prevent the pack from falling out of the plane during violent maneuvers.

Hope all this makes sense. Will post pics later.

SpadCat
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Lon,

I think I have that figured out. Will verify with the pictures.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
I have attached several photos that might help. For those who build their Pat without landing gear, I would recess the Lipo pack deeper into the wing and plug with foam piece so that the pack end is more protected during landings.

I think a plastic tab using the wing hold down bolt will work to secure the pack.

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Nov 17, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Yep, that's what I thought it might look like. Looks like you will be quick changing batteries!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Installed the plastic lipo retainer tab on the wing hold down bolt and did several dry runs, and it worked every time. The only thing you need to be aware of is making sure the loose wires are out of the way, and a screwdriver can be used to push them out of way easily as you start to insert the pack.

Looking forward to the next flight.

SpadCat