HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Unfortunately, after tomorrow I will not be able to fly for 2 - 3 weeks, so will have to wait anyway.

Have you ordered yours yet?

SpadCat
Have not ordered it yet. I semi-retired the T-50 this evening (it suffered a hard landing and needs to be repaired) and took out the Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet motor. This motor is able to produce 32oz of thrust with a 6x4.

I took the Grayson Supersonic motor and the 30amp speed controller off the "Pat" and currently in the process of retro fitting the Mega to it. Will need to trim back the motor mount some since this motor is a bit longer.

The wife said model airplane parts or real airplane flight time. So I am holding off ordering parts so I can spend an hour in the air this month. It's hard having two expensive hobbies!!
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Have not ordered it yet. I semi-retired the T-50 this evening (it suffered a hard landing and needs to be repaired) and took out the Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet motor. This motor is able to produce 32oz of thrust with a 6x4.

I took the Grayson Supersonic motor and the 30amp speed controller off the "Pat" and currently in the process of retro fitting the Mega to it. Will need to trim back the motor mount some since this motor is a bit longer.

The wife said model airplane parts or real airplane flight time. So I am holding off ordering parts so I can spend an hour in the air this month. It's hard having two expensive hobbies!!

I know what you mean....I flew full scale for almost 25 years and had the same problem. I love full scale and models and not sure which I loved best. But I started with models and I will probably will end with models. Fortunately, a brother on mine started flying full scale a few years ago, so I do get some stick time once in a while, plus he won't let me pay for anything....He says just trying to pay back some of the time he used to fly with me on my dime.

Since you are getting 32 oz thrust, that is about 1:1, so your Pat should really scoot.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Mega Jet Installed

I installed the "Gold" version of the Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet today. I will have to set back the motor mount since the Mega is quite a bit longer than the Super Sonic. I also went up to a 7X5 prop, which this motor should handle. The thrust increase is very noticeable, but top speed will suffer some. I am willing to make the compromise! Can't wait to try this new combo out, but the wind is blasting away today since the cold front came in. Hopefully next week!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
I am sure I will have to extend the cowling, also. Started painting the e-Tweety Birdy as I wait for the new motor to arrive. Decided to use same colors (white/red) and similar scheme to the Pat, since it looked so good. I might add another trim color such as blue or yellow, but the designs are so different, it wont make a lot of difference if I don't. Not sure of prop, but I am thinking 8x or 9x, as my plane is much heavier than yours.

I am now going to change out the 9 gram elevator servo and install an HS-81 in its place, just in case I have the first 100 mph Pat!

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
I would like to see the video of a 100mph Pat! Took mine for a spin after the motor upgrade. What a difference! More than enough power and thrust to make it a fun plane and the speed was good. However, it was still a little windy so I need to wait for a calmer day to get it all trimmed out. I can tell you that the landings on this plane are awesome. It likes to come in nice and slow for a gentle touch down.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I downloaded the plans and iam keeping track of your guys builds but i have 3 or 4 ahead of this one right now. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Quote:
I would like to see the video of a 100mph Pat! Took mine for a spin after the motor upgrade. What a difference! More than enough power and thrust to make it a fun plane and the speed was good. However, it was still a little windy so I need to wait for a calmer day to get it all trimmed out. I can tell you that the landings on this plane are awesome. It likes to come in nice and slow for a gentle touch down.
Well, I don't know if it will really go 100 mph or not, but it will always looks like it is! .

Glad you were able to fly it again and with the larger motor. There is nothing like having plenty of power and slower landings. My aborted takeoff landings where very controllable, even with a much heavier Pat.

Hopefully the bigger motor will come in soon. In the mean time, like I posted before, I am making progress on the e-Tweety Birdy. Sprayed on some trim paint this morning and it looks real good.

SpadCat
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Sorry, but I have to show off the Tweety Birdy project that I stopped while more than halfway through to build the Patriarch. Hope you don't mind! The paint scheme is similar to the Pats, but I had thought about this scheme (along with others) long before I found out about the Pat. The beautiful lines of the Pat was made for this kind of pattern. I added yellow trim to help set the Tweety Birdy apart from the Pat, and also hope to find some cartoon Tweety Bird artwork to finish it off.

Just needs some yellow trim on fuse, attach control surfaces install electronics and a few other things.

SpadCat
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I downloaded the plans and iam keeping track of your guys builds but i have 3 or 4 ahead of this one right now. joe
That was the problem I had when I first saw the Pat being featured on the Home page back in July.

SpadCat
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but I have to show off the Tweety Birdy project that I stopped while more than halfway through to build the Patriarch. Hope you don't mind! The paint scheme is similar to the Pats, but I had thought about this scheme (along with others) long before I found out about the Pat. The beautiful lines of the Pat was made for this kind of pattern. I added yellow trim to help set the Tweety Birdy apart from the Pat, and also hope to find some cartoon Tweety Bird artwork to finish it off.

Just needs some yellow trim on fuse, attach control surfaces install electronics and a few other things.

SpadCat
Very nicely done Lon. That's a beaut!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Glad you like the plane Joe. Hopefully by time you get to it, the engine and prop combinations will be sorted out.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Glad you like the plane Joe. Hopefully by time you get to it, the engine and prop combinations will be sorted out.
Thanks captain i hope to get to it soon and it will be nice to know what motor esc combo you used .Spadcat ,suffering suckitash !call callies graffics and she will whip you up some tweety birds fast. lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Quote:
Thanks captain i hope to get to it soon and it will be nice to know what motor esc combo you used .Spadcat ,suffering suckitash !call callies graffics and she will whip you up some tweety birds fast. lmao joe
cracksme up....Thanks for the Tweety Bird decal contact.

New motor installed and nose is almost refinished. I had to extend the cowl about 1/3" at the bulkhead and remove some material inside to make the motor fit and clear. This thing is a brute and easily attained over 400W in a quick test run with a 10x6 cut down to 8.5x6 that I used on the over 3 lb Super Pacer.

Jetcaptain, I have a new idea about a mod that allows for easy install/removal of a 3s 2200 lipo without taking wing off. I am sure it will work, but I want to get a few flights on the Pat before I do more major surgery.

SpadCat
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
cracksme up....Thanks for the Tweety Bird decal contact.

New motor installed and nose is almost refinished. I had to extend the cowl about 1/3" at the bulkhead and remove some material inside to make the motor fit and clear. This thing is a brute and easily attained over 400W in a quick test run with a 10x6 cut down to 8.5x6 that I used on the over 3 lb Super Pacer.

Jetcaptain, I have a new idea about a mod that allows for easy install/removal of a 3s 2200 lipo without taking wing off. I am sure it will work, but I want to get a few flights on the Pat before I do more major surgery.

SpadCat

Sounds like motor surgery was successful Doctor! For the battery, are you wanting to put an access panel in the turtle deck?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
926 Posts
Tested new motor with a new 8x6 prop and got just over 500w. That's over 150 watts/lb. Now I will swap out the 9 gram elevator servo for an HS-81. That's also over 100w more than what is in the 3.3 lb Super Pacer!

No, I am not going through the turtle deck. It will go through the bottom of the wing like a cartridge. This may shift CG slightly forward, how much will not be determined until I mock it up. But, I want to get a number of flights on it first.

So, have you got some full scale flying in lately?

SpadCat