HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
The Photos....

The balsa ship project in the background is a Sig Liberty Sport that I picked up today for next to nothing.
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:39 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
The balsa ship project in the background is a Sig Liberty Sport that I picked up today for next to nothing.

Looking great SpadCat! That Sig looks like a fun project. Why can't I find good deals like that?
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:32 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
593 Posts
SpadCat what's the plane parked in the puddle ?
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
wim5150,

He posted the details of the photos on the post just before that one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=195

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
In an earlier post, I wrote that I had not tried to bring a foamie's finish up to the level of a balsa ship, and even though the Attacker photo was pinned right next to the shop door, I had forgotten about it. If the Midwest material (it might have been called "Glass Koat" but I could easily be wrong) was still available, it would be very simple and easy to make foamies look great.

The Attacker was a EPS ARF that was of a very high quality and a good flyer. I would buy another one if they became available.

I am now in process of painting the wing and it is coming along a lot faster than the fuse. Will post pics when ready.

SpadCat
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
Hi Chris,

Yea!! FINALLY done with most of the painting! Just need to decide what I want for final trim such as Air Force insignias and or N numbers and color of control surfaces. Also need to paint the intakes and exhaust black.

I found that I had to cut the paint much more than I thought, and once I did that, the painting was easy. Just had to be careful about runs. If the Pat flies as good as I think it will, I may build another one that will turn out much nicer. The right side is the bad side, and I might paint the turtle deck red (that would hide the more obvious flaws).

Lon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Looks really nice SpadCat! Do you happen to have a pic of the gear setup?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
I pulled the gear out before the paint process. Once I get the control surfaces installed, then I will reinstall them which is only a 5 or 10 minute task.

SpadCat
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
380 Posts
Really Great work!

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Yea!! FINALLY done with most of the painting! Just need to decide what I want for final trim such as Air Force insignias and or N numbers and color of control surfaces. Also need to paint the intakes and exhaust black.

I found that I had to cut the paint much more than I thought, and once I did that, the painting was easy. Just had to be careful about runs. If the Pat flies as good as I think it will, I may build another one that will turn out much nicer. The right side is the bad side, and I might paint the turtle deck red (that would hide the more obvious flaws).

Lon
Baseman is online now Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
593 Posts
Good looking Pat Spad. Thanks for the info on the Attacker.
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:24 AM
Knuckle dragging pilot
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Feb 2001
170 Posts
Looks great Lon! I've gotten a bit sidetracked with some other projects, but will definitely be getting back to this one.

Steve
Leadfoot is offline Find More Posts by Leadfoot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of shots with the gear up and down. With more work, one could make the wheel wells nicer.

SpadCat
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
After a bit of thinking, the best and easiest way to make the wheel wells nicer would be to use a hole saw and cut the wells out all the way through the top of the wing, and then use bi-glass tape to cover the hole. I did this at the other end of the retacts and the paint covered the bi-directional glass tape very nicely. I did brush on several coats of Minwax to help with adhesion.

SpadCat
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of shots with the gear up and down. With more work, one could make the wheel wells nicer.

SpadCat
Me likey!! Way to go Lon!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
871 Posts
Thanks, Chris, I am glad you like it. Still like your Air Force Thunderbird theme better, but not too unhappy with my sport finish, even if it is kind of atypical.

Got some work done on the ailerons. Instead of a spar, I glued balsa strips to the inside and outside edges which really stiffened them up. I am not going to taper the rear of the ailerons like I usually do, as I want as much "bite" as I can get.

It looks like next weekend should finally be maiden time, Yea! Then after that, I can finally get back to finishing the Dirty Birdy .20.

SpadCat