Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINHTRIKIET View Post
Your's plan is great but why i can't find cg on this plan .can you help me please!!!!!!!!
The CG is 7.71 inches back from the leading edge of the wing root. I will update the plans and include a visual CG location. Glad you like the plane.

Chris
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Your's plan is great but why i can't find cg on this plan .can you help me please!!!!!!!!
There is a chart with all specs on page 2 post #9.

Jetcaptain, I am assuming that the measurement is from the top of the swept leading edge, not the squared tab at the top of the wing that aligns it with the fuse?

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
I'm waiting your update i'm really love your plan i hope it'll issue soon but why i print it on a0 the wingspan only 32" so i think it's only 68% of your plan.is it right captain?
MINHTRIKIET is offline Find More Posts by MINHTRIKIET
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
I'm waiting your update i'm really love your plan i hope it'll issue soon but why i print it on a0 the wingspan only 32" so i think it's only 68% of your plan.is it right captain?
Minhtrikiet,

Make sure your page scaling is set to "None". Sometimes the "fit to page" setting is selected and this will shrink the plans down. I printed it out on my printer and it was good.

Chris
Last edited by jetcaptain; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
There is a chart with all specs on page 2 post #9.

Jetcaptain, I am assuming that the measurement is from the top of the swept leading edge, not the squared tab at the top of the wing that aligns it with the fuse?

SpadCat
SpadCat,

I measured mine from the squared tab. But having it .3 inches back by measuring at the top of the sweep, probably won't hurt for a first flight.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Down to the final sanding and next will be the coat of Minwax. Still catching areas that need a little attention, but I think it is time to move on.

What is the method to make spackle stick to glass tape?

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Sep 15, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add a line
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Down to the final sanding and next will be the coat of Minwax. Still catching areas that need a little attention, but I think it is time to move on.

SpadCat
That's looking really sharp SpadCat! It's going to be something else when you have it all painted up. I'm starting to get a little jealous!

You might have to go with the water based poly and baby powder to build up the glass cloth. I used this method on my glass covered T-50, and it work well.

Chris
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Thank you Chris, but I am having problems with the Minwax leaving brush marks. I am thinking of air brushing it on, but there are no thinning instructions on the can. It is water based, so that should be no problem. I have read that some use windshield washer fluid (maybe in one of your posts?). Why use that instead of water?

Actually, it is 3M glass bi-directional packing tape, although, maybe I could use fiberglass cloth, but I do not have any 3/4 oz, just the heavier stuff.

Thanks!

Lon
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Sep 16, 2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added additional lines
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Chris, but I am having problems with the Minwax leaving brush marks. I am thinking of air brushing it on, but there are no thinning instructions on the can. It is water based, so that should be no problem. I have read that some use windshield washer fluid (maybe in one of your posts?). Why use that instead of water?

Actually, it is 3M glass bi-directional packing tape, although, maybe I could use fiberglass cloth, but I do not have any 3/4 oz, just the heavier stuff.

Thanks!

Lon
Lon,

Hmmm.... I never tried the windshield washer fluid in poly, but I guess it could be a neat experiment. The windshield washer fluid, from what I hear, is good for thinning paints due to how it interacts with the acrylic paint. Supposedly it makes it flow really good. I have never had problems with brush marks when using it without spraying it. If they are there, they are really hard to see. I use a super high quality brush, (I think it's called Purdy? for oil based paints) The right brush makes all the difference!

Maybe you could put a thick coat of poly on the tape, then rough sand, then spackle? Some surfaces just don't like to hold paints..
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
Looking Really Good Spad Cat!

Quote:

SpadCat
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!

Lon
Lon,

How's the build coming? Almost ready to fly yet?

Chris
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Lon,

How's the build coming? Almost ready to fly yet?

Chris

Hi Jetcaptain,

Well, yes and no. Has been a very busy week and after a minor (seemed major at the time) painting disaster last Sunday when I got distracted after laying down some tape on the base white paint to add a trim color and left the tape on too long and it pulled up the white latex paint like a latex glove. So I had to cut the damaged section out and refill the area and it is now ready for a repaint. Decided then that I needed a break from the project and as I said, the week was going to be very busy anyway.

Maybe I will get out to the shop today and a least do something. I decided to go to a more of a sport theme with more trim paint to help hide the finishing defects. I should have tried to learn how to paint a high quality foam job on a simpler project. I am really disappointed in that I cannot seem to get it to the level of my balsa ships. I have painted foam before, but only to add some trim.

Have you flown yours, lately?

SpadCat
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jetcaptain,

Well, yes and no. Has been a very busy week and after a minor (seemed major at the time) painting disaster last Sunday when I got distracted after laying down some tape on the base white paint to add a trim color and left the tape on too long and it pulled up the white latex paint like a latex glove. So I had to cut the damaged section out and refill the area and it is now ready for a repaint. Decided then that I needed a break from the project and as I said, the week was going to be very busy anyway.

Maybe I will get out to the shop today and a least do something. I decided to go to a more of a sport theme with more trim paint to help hide the finishing defects. I should have tried to learn how to paint a high quality foam job on a simpler project. I am really disappointed in that I cannot seem to get it to the level of my balsa ships. I have painted foam before, but only to add some trim.

Have you flown yours, lately?

SpadCat
I hate it when that happens!!! Peeling latex is sure a frustrating experience. Glad you were able to take a rest and regroup.

I've been a little busy myself so the plane has set in the garage for awhile. Took a trip to Clearwater, Fl for a weeks vacation, and had some fun in the sun. Then had a nice day visiting the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL That has got to be the best free museum I have been too! I have some pics of planes I will post on my blog when I get the chance.

I have been thinking about adding another spar before flying the Pat again. I also figured out how to put my video camera in manual focus for some better video. So it might be a bit before I get it in the air. I am curious is to how that HK motor will push your plane along. If it does good, I might order me up one soon.

Sounds like your going to have a pretty paint job, looking forward to seeing it.

Chris
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
The building of this plane was a lot of fun, but the finishing and painting has been a nightmare. After much sanding of the latex top coat to smooth it out, I ended up spaying a final coat using LustreKoat, Much better, but there are a couple of areas where the paint got though the latex and Minwax and attacked the foam, but not too bad. I still may repair those areas. If I could have got my spray system to work properly with the latex paint, I would not have had all these problems. I have a new Pasche air compressor, but was trying to use an old airbrush, and it would not pull up the paint unless I had it thinned way down, then it was too watery. I should have ordered a new quality air brush.

Have not been to a museum (except Tucson), but love going to airshows. Usually try to make the Edwards event and have also been to the Reno air races a number of times (except the one when the P-51 crashed last year which I was supposed to be at).

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Hi Chris,

Here are a couple of photos, one of the Pat and the other of an all foam model called the "Attacker" kitted by Midwest. The photo is of a 37 year old photo (yeah, I know I could have scanned it) that was taken after I made a landing that ended up in a pool of water. This plane was covered by a green gel coating also from Midwest (can't remember the name), then painted with Formula U Poly paint. Loved that stuff. The plane finish came out really nice and the gel hardend and was sandable and very light. Sure wished they still made that stuff. My brother also had an Attacker painted in the same theme but in blue and we used try to fly formation. They were powered with K&B .40s, which were a little heavy for the plane. I wished I had an OS. 25 FX with a tuned pipe for it...that would have been the bomb!

Anyway, the Pat is looking not too bad as long as you don't look too close. Need to finish the canopy and maybe add some decal numbers. Now will start on the wing and see if I have learned from my mistakes.

Lon
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: OOPS! Forgot the Photos! See below.