HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
That bipe looks fun to fly! The balsa ship reminds me of a ScatCat. Hey! that reminds me of someone... They both look great, if the Pat is similar, it will be a looker!
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
That bipe is probably one of the most fun flying and delightful airplanes I have ever flown, and that is saying a lot, since I love to fly everything from sailplanes to helis. If someone asks what I like flying the best, my answer is usually "the plane I am presently flying".

You guessed pretty close to where my handle "SpadCat" came from. I used to race Scat Cats and I actually have one ready to fly right now. But the name actually came when I started to fly Open B combat using SPADs (Simple Plastic Aircraft Design). Many of the pilots were using "Dog" call names like Madd Dawg, Dawg Pilot, etc. and I wanted to be different, so after a little thought I put Spad and Cat together and it worked for me. I also flew Combat Kittens and Combat Cat ukies when I was a kid, so that fit in too.

Sorry to go on a personal tangent, but I also like reading about other pilots stories when I come across them.

Back to the topic...the nose gear e-retract came in today and it is a well built part, but I will not be using it in this build. Still can't believe the less then $16.00 shipped price tag. It even included a pre-bent gear leg and wheel collar!

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Finally...Some Forward Progress

Started the wing last night and have installed the spars and KFM airfoils and trial fitted one of the retracts. I cut all the way through the wing, as it would be difficult for me to hollow out a cavity. I will cover the top with Depron and sand down flush and build a mounting structure around the retracts. The gear housing will barely protrude into the airstream on bottom of wing..

Attached are several photos.

SpadCat
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
Looking great SpadCat! The fuse shaping looks really nice. I did notice some extra filler at the wing root where the KF airfoils meet. Was this a fit problem in the plans? Just checking, because I can fix it. The gear looks like it is going to work out great. Keep us updated.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Looking great SpadCat! The fuse shaping looks really nice. I did notice some extra filler at the wing root where the KF airfoils meet. Was this a fit problem in the plans? Just checking, because I can fix it. The gear looks like it is going to work out great. Keep us updated.
Well, yes, the KFM sections did not match the wing, but it could be a problem with the printer or just me not lining up the the tiles originally. I am not a fan of tiled plans, but you will not find me complaining about it as I appreciate just having someone put so much work into something that I benefit from. Once the single page plans were posted, I already had the parts cut out. I down loaded the single page plans to cd and took it to Staples, but they could not print out full size. I know I have done it before (including the two planes that I posted photos of). I think it just depends on who is working at the time.

Anyway, I have been building a long time, so there are few problems I can't work out, just takes a little more time.

Except for finishing

I am still not happy with the fuse, as it needs more sanding to get the glue lines out.

SpadCat
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
I took a look at the wing dimensions and I found a small rotation in the right wing panel. I corrected this and will be posting a revision to the plans on the first post soon. It will be labeled revision A. Thanks for bearing with me as the plans are tweaked. Thanks SpadCat for posting your progress, and bringing up changes.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
That makes sense. Glad to be part of the beta test program .

Got the wing and stab lined up and have the wing hold down plates curing. Sanded the leading edge of the wing and tips so the 3 layers of foam is even. Still not sure if I am going to just shape the foam leading edges or add a balsa edge. Did that with the Polaris 120 and it came out real nice, but that plane uses a 6 mm Depron flat plate wing, so there was not much mass added, where with the Patriarch is 18mm. Looking around the shop for some suitable carbon fiber rods to install in the stab and fin.

Did you add a battery shelf (I am assuming in the 2nd fuse compartment from the front) so that it would be easier to load the lipo?

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Aug 26, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
SpadCat,

I will post a pic of the battery location. It didn't turn out too pretty, so maybe you can find a better way of placing the battery. This is were the longer tail moment would really shine! Then you could place the battery in a more suitable forward location.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
Battery Location

** The plans are now updated to Rev. A - (right wing panel rotation removed) **

SpadCat,

Here are some pictures of the battery location with and without battery. I am using velco to mount the battery to the top fuselage plate. It seems to work ok, but I am sure something better can be made up.

Also, I tried to improve cooling to the motor by drilling holes around the spinner plate. I haven't tested it yet, but I am hopeful it will help.

Chris
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
That looks good. The only differences with my build are the servos are a little more rearward and I put in wing hold down plates across the fuse in two places and have one wing bolt front and back.

The drilled spinner plate should provide more airflow then stock. On my e-Super Pacer, I also cut a triangle exhaust outlet at the bottom of the cowl and that seems to work well. Ideally, the exhaust should be larger then the intake, but something is better then nothing.

Thanks for the pics.

Lon
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Good Building Error (?)

If that is possible. Jetcaptain, you wrote that the fuse should have been a little longer to help with cg issues, so due to a building error, mine is 1" longer at the tail. I cut the slot in the turtle deck for the vert stab, and after the epoxy was set, I found that I mounted it (without the rudder) all the way back to end of the fuse so that the rudder now will stick out over the tailpipe area. So, after a bit of thought, I decided to just cut the hor stab slot all the way to the end of the fuse and install the hor stab rear edge even with the vert stab's rear edge, then add a one inch extension and then the tail pipe. Voila! A longer fuse!

I have attached a pic to show where I am at and the hor stab is still in original design location.

The cage motor mount worked out real well and the gold color even matched the motor. Too bad it does not show, and unfortunately, I lost the photo I took of it. Still looking through my desk top trash as there are a lot of discarded files there, so hopefully will find it.

SpadCat
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
If that is possible. Jetcaptain, you wrote that the fuse should have been a little longer to help with cg issues, so due to a building error, mine is 1" longer at the tail. I cut the slot in the turtle deck for the vert stab, and after the epoxy was set, I found that I mounted it (without the rudder) all the way back to end of the fuse so that the rudder now will stick out over the tailpipe area. So, after a bit of thought, I decided to just cut the hor stab slot all the way to the end of the fuse and install the hor stab rear edge even with the vert stab's rear edge, then add a one inch extension and then the tail pipe. Voila! A longer fuse!

I have attached a pic to show where I am at and the hor stab is still in original design location.

The cage motor mount worked out real well and the gold color even matched the motor. Too bad it does not show, and unfortunately, I lost the photo I took of it. Still looking through my desk top trash as there are a lot of discarded files there, so hopefully will find it.

SpadCat
Looks great SpadCat! I will give you an "A" for that build mistake. How is the spacing between the bell of the motor and the cowling side using the HK motor?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Plenty of spacing. The motor is set back about 1/3" and really does not need any additional trimming. I already trimmed the material that was needed during install. I am thinking of adding a lite ply nose ring, but I want to block as little of the airflow as possible, so am not sure at this time. It would add to the strength of the nose foam as it is pretty thin there.

I have the tail wheel assembly built. I brought the rudder pushrod out below the stab and then designed the tail wheel assembly so that it actuates both the tail wheel and the rudder. I decided this plane deserved a real working tail wheel and not a skid as originally planned.

I also have the retract gear legs bent as needed and ready to install and wheel wells cut out. I was really pleased that I was able to cut out the bottom two layers of Depron and the wheels in the wells fit perfectly.

SpadCat
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,353 Posts
Good stuff SpadCat! Looks like everything is coming together nicely.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcaptain View Post
Just a couple of pics of the motor mount and the aileron servo setup.

Started the torque tube set up for the ailerons and the I am curious how much throw you are getting and if there are any binding issues due to the rods imbeded so far into the wing due to the TE sweep.

Got the tail cone and exhaust finished. Just need final filling and sanding.

Edit: OK, did a trial fit and there seems to be no problem. I don't remember seeing what you are recommending for control throws, except that the plane had a slow roll rate.

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add a Line