HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:57 PM
SpinsMakeTheWorldGoRound
Groveland, Florida
Joined Oct 2003
57 Posts
.1g muscle wire actuator

Pictured below is a .1g muscle wire dual actuator, which 30 degrees of throw each side of center. It is self-centering, with good centering accuracy and force. The reaction/return speed is good. Center/full throw/center less than .5 seconds. Current draw is approx. 50 ma necessitating an amplifier to drive it. Materials used in its construction include a .4 mm double-sided, copper-clad board, a .25 mm brass spring rod, .1 mm brass sheet and .001 muscle wire. The difficulty factor in building the first one is definitely a 10, but after you learn the tricks it is on par with building a .25 g magnetic actuator . I intend to post a step-by-step here for those interested.
Bob Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Bob Bailey
Last edited by Bob Bailey; Nov 05, 2003 at 12:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:02 AM
SpinsMakeTheWorldGoRound
Groveland, Florida
Joined Oct 2003
57 Posts
Pictured below is a simplified drawing of the actuator function. The spring provides a force for centering and return. The off-center pivot, in relation to the muscle wire attachment points, provides a center equilibrium. When power is supplied to one side of the actuator, the muscle wire contracts, the control horn rotates, and the spring stretches. When power is removed, the muscle wire relaxes, the springs contracts, and the control horn returns to neutral.
Bob Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Bob Bailey
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:14 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Very cool! After making a few 200 ohm coils using .05mm dia wire I swore I'd never make them again, and its what has been stopping me from trying micro stuff again. I'd be very interested in seeing some instructions on how to make these things - I'd probably build them larger though.
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Nov 05, 2003, 12:22 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
That is amazingly small.
I'm interested in the step by step process.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Nov 05, 2003, 01:05 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
How about step by step selling of them to us not so good at this new form of stepping.. =)~~~~~~~~~
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Nov 05, 2003, 01:19 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,553 Posts
Bob,
Thats the neatest, best designed muscle wire setup i have seen .
Great work , cant wait for more details .
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Nov 05, 2003, 02:48 AM
Japan
Joined Dec 2002
327 Posts
Bob,

Where can he buy a 10-micron muscle wire?
Koichi Tanaka is offline Find More Posts by Koichi Tanaka
Old Nov 05, 2003, 07:49 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,979 Posts
Bob, thanks for sharing. By all means go ahead an post a build description. Did you program a PIC yourself for driving the actuators?

Koichi-san, I think Bob must be talking about 1/1000 of an inch which is 25 micron. This wire is available from Bob Selman and Graham Stabler.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 05, 2003, 09:19 AM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
399 Posts
Muscle Wire

I no longer carry the muscle wire.

Bob Selman Designs
bselman is offline Find More Posts by bselman
Old Nov 05, 2003, 09:34 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,979 Posts
Sorry Bob, I had not noticed that. Is the batch that was custom made sold out?

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Nov 05, 2003, 11:13 AM
sw missouri
Joined Sep 2001
399 Posts
Muscle wire

I have sold out of that batch I had, but I understand that the LT025 is going to be produced again so there is not a problem with availability.

Bob
bselman is offline Find More Posts by bselman
Old Nov 05, 2003, 11:39 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,437 Posts
For those wanting to buy a ready made musle wire actuator, but a different type of design, you can buy them from uIR in Finland

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 05, 2003, 03:03 PM
Leicester England
Joined Jun 2001
591 Posts
Progress!

Well done Bob
Its good to see folks trying to make actuators with Flexinol - it has to be the way for micro planes. We just need to figure out the best way to use the material.

I have sent my aritcle on our APPA actuator to the publishers so hopefully it will be in the shops before Christmas

The article describes our actuator but then goes on to say how to install it into a suitable plane, in this case a 10" span Jigglet weighing about 7.5g. My point is if you have a super light actuator you shoudl put it in a super light plane to get the advantage from it.

Micro ducted fan jets woudl benefit from Flexinol actuators as jets are still a little underpowered at the moment, but hopefully that will be better now we can use two 90mA cells.

I think it woudl be better to use coil actuators for planes weighing more than 10 grams

Well done Bob ......... more! more!

Youruncle Mark

Maybe put the actuator in a micro Corsair like Joe's see our news letter

http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk/Oct03a.htm
aeronutz is offline Find More Posts by aeronutz
Old Nov 05, 2003, 03:11 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Uncle Mark,

What publication is the article going to be in?

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Nov 05, 2003, 04:12 PM
chicago
Joined Jul 2003
100 Posts
I checked the flexinol website and it appears they are selling the 25 micron flexinol again (still pretty expensive but it beats custom ordering it)

I too believe that flexinol is the future of micro RC. right now I plan on using flexinol to power a dragon-like ornithopter.
indoor flyer is offline Find More Posts by indoor flyer