HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:21 AM
Lathrop, Missouri, United States
Joined Oct 2004
474 Posts
spit
gjhinshaw is offline Find More Posts by gjhinshaw
Last edited by gjhinshaw; Feb 20, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:55 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2011
335 Posts
as anyone actualy flew one? Is there any flying videos outhere that we know for sure that an rctimer clone?
bananawhiz is offline Find More Posts by bananawhiz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananawhiz View Post
as anyone actualy flew one? Is there any flying videos outhere that we know for sure that an rctimer clone?
Yeah I'm hanging out for these as well
Jdmagoo is offline Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmagoo View Post
Yeah I'm hanging out for these as well
Yes. And it is a RCTIMER S800 for sure. I just come back from flying with it. If I have some time tomorrow I will do a short video.

BTW, I am a bit puzzled. There are some people here (including myself) saying that they are flying with a RCT S800 and that it flies quite well... why would we lie?
Bergerac56 is offline Find More Posts by Bergerac56
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:27 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerac56 View Post
Yes. And it is a RCTIMER S800 for sure. I just come back from flying with it. If I have some time tomorrow I will do a short video.

BTW, I am a bit puzzled. There are some people here (including myself) saying that they are flying with a RCT S800 and that it flies quite well... why would we lie?
Certainly not accusing anyone of lying just wanting to see a video of the thing flying. Am seriously looking at purchasing but would like to watch as many videos as possible. Just wish someone could do a comprehensive review
Jdmagoo is offline Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:56 PM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
2,025 Posts
I'm actually celebrating lunar new year otherwise I would have some video for you guy. Any request on how it should be done so I can keep you guys in mine when I fly mine after when I make the video Tuesday. Let me know
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:04 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,938 Posts
How many New Years do people need? The traditional 1st of January and now the Luna along with the Chinese New Year, maybe those two co-inside. I want another on the 1st of July. Any body with me??
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Despite my wife's best efforts today, I found time to work with my buddy's RCTimer S800 clone and get it in the air today.

The first time we flew it, it was AWFUL, But then we remembered that we never calibrated the esc's throttle range!! (It was also windy when it was flown the first time, I wonder if the wind was the problem since I think a Naza with big slow props does not like the wind.)

Being a little lazy, we built the little jig shown in the attached photo so that we could calibrate all six of them at once! Just one servo wire from the RX throttle channel connects to the jig, then all six servo wires (the ones that connect to M1-M6 on the S800) connect to the jig on one end, and the M1-M6 pins on the S800. Power up the TX, push throttle to its highest point, power up the S800, hear two beeps (in unison, from all six esc's), move throttle to its lowest point, hear a single beep (in unison, from all six esc's) and done!

A little black duct tape (duck tape to most southerners) on the left side of the Naza to protect against light-induced altitude problems and we were ready to lift off.

We put gains on two knobs on the transmitter - one knob for "attitude mode - pitch and roll" and another for pitch and roll in Basic Mode.

After a couple minutes of tuning basic gains, we switched over to "attitude mode". We tweaked settings up and down, and had to deal with the copter wanting to drift a little to the left, but overall the bird was remarkably stable! Imagine our surprise when we reconnected to The Naza assistant and found that atti gain ended up EXACTLY on 100%! Interestingly, for our preferences - basic gains went all the way up to 225%!

A video of the bird hovering smooth (but boring) is below. It is just a lousy iPhone video, but I think it shows what folks are looking for!

RCTimer S800 flight with Naza (1 min 39 sec)

We already have the CF sleeve kit purchased, since there was so much talk of wobbly arms. But I gotta admit, this bird flew really stable! I think if we were to add a little expo to the sticks and spend a little more time fine-tuning the gains then this bird is ready to carry a camera!

So it appears that this frame sold by RCTimer is, in fact, worthy of its name! Can't wait to slap an Alexmos SBGC-based gimbal underneath it and shoot some video. Plus, we'll probably install the CF sleeve mod later, too.

Enjoy!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Last edited by DroneBuilder; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I didn't know how to insert a youtube video!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:15 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
564 Posts
The ESC calli is smart to do all at once. I've used a parallel charging/balancing board, and always hook up as many ESC's as possible. This really saves a lot of time!
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Last edited by Aaalie; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
mine turned up on friday (got the version in the case), and I have to say the arms feel much stiffer than the DJI S800 arms I have played with. Looking forward to putting it together and seeing it fly
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:21 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
564 Posts
There is the original V1 arm, an de original V2 arm. The V2 has a DJI logo on top, and in the round "attachment knob", this arm also looks a little less shiny.
This original V2 arm is noticeable stiffer than the V1 arm.
I know the spare RC-timer arms, always buy them as a replacement part. They are really flexible. Possibly the arms provided in the kit could be stiffer than the separate available arm.

For sure there is a lot of difference between the S800 arms. And without a carbon wrap, I prefer the traditional carbon tube frames. If only the S800 frames do not look so damn good , a stunning appearance!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:30 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,005 Posts
Aaalie :

how did you use the parallell board to calibrate the ESCs all at once, I have thought about your post and cannot work it out?

thanks
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:30 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
137 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for an awesome thread! I'm building an RCT800 right now with a Naza controller and gimbal. Can anyone give me their gain settings for the Naza-m? Maiden flight this week.

Also, I have 6 New Rctimer 4215 460kv motors if anyone wants them. Also have carbon fiber props for them. PM me if you're interested. And yes I have them posted in the 4 sale section already.
AlchemistAerials is offline Find More Posts by AlchemistAerials
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:33 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
Aaalie :

how did you use the parallell board to calibrate the ESCs all at once, I have thought about your post and cannot work it out?

thanks

Just for the idea. Of course the ESC's have to be soldered to the power distribution and I always use one ESC with BEC for the convenience, others opto.
Sometimes calibrating two or three copters at once, also using the parallel board battery connectors to power the copters all at once.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:38 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistAerials View Post
Hey guys, thanks for an awesome thread! I'm building an RCT800 right now with a Naza controller and gimbal. Can anyone give me their gain settings for the Naza-m? Maiden flight this week.
Same page, four posts above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
The Naza assistant and found that atti gain ended up EXACTLY on 100%! Interestingly, for our preferences - basic gains went all the way up to 225%!
I feel a little irritated, so do not take this as a personal "assault", but I think people have to read better before posting. Some good topics turn out to drown in repeated questions.