HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Mar 2004
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmagoo View Post
I suppose the question is, once the frame is fully assembled how easy is it to pack away back in the case? I mean could I take the case to the local park and quickly assemble there without tools then pack up just as easy to take home?

The case sounds awesome if the above is possible, otherwise if its just another fancy box that it gets delivered in then I'm not interested.
IMHO I will more then likely leave it built to fly locally. But to answer your question it takes about 10 minutes to take it out of the box and put it together to fly. If you have the gimbal/camera, add another 10 minutes
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
Nederland, Limburg, Heerlen
Joined Jun 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
I have also been impressed with RCTimer, and the arms on the RCTimer S800 that a friend bought are quite stiff. I don't have a DJI S800 to compare them to, but I think the RCTimer arms are quite stiff.

That said, I did verify with Digitech.nl that they DO have a service where they will wrap your S800 arms in carbon fiber. The cost is 299 euro (roughly 400 usd)

The link to that service on their webpage is here.

I may recommend that my friend get his done, but I wouldn't want to do it if the claims that the wiring in the RCTimer S800 arms is insufficient are true!

Thoughts?
the costs also include the return shipping back to the customer!
Digitech is offline Find More Posts by Digitech
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
I started a little company back in the day called Xcitebattery and this was when you had most rc groupers thinking that Thunderpower and maybe maxamps were the only way to go for quality and longevity. My batteries sort of debunked some of those myths along with many other companies out there. So anyway, I'm getting a multirotor and see many of the same issues with people loyal to a brand when another product comes out that may be just as good for half the price, some money can be saved....so the question I have is if you were me..would you go with the dji version or with the clone version?
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:53 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagimon View Post
I started a little company back in the day called Xcitebattery and this was when you had most rc groupers thinking that Thunderpower and maybe maxamps were the only way to go for quality and longevity. My batteries sort of debunked some of those myths along with many other companies out there. So anyway, I'm getting a multirotor and see many of the same issues with people loyal to a brand when another product comes out that may be just as good for half the price, some money can be saved....so the question I have is if you were me..would you go with the dji version or with the clone version?
I still have two Xcite 3s 2200mah Lipos; great battery over 150 cycles. I am using them for my RC boat now. Thunderpower and Maxamps are not the same as xcite.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:45 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagimon View Post
For the price, the RCTimer S800 appears to be the best purchase. By all accounts, the "Clone" is identical to the DJI version and is more than likely made at the same Factory. As stated by others that have them, by visual inspection, there is virtually NO difference. So, price wise, you are basically saving half of the initial cost. Only YOU can be the judge of how you will spend your money.

As to the Aluminum Case, save your money. If you have a gimbal system on the S800, the case is pretty much of no use for hauling a complete ship. We use a Pelican 1650 Case, that allows the arms to be taken off and stored in the top of the case and the complete Landing Gear with retracts and attached Gimbal System to be packed. The Pick and Pluck Foam inserts make it very easy to get an excellent fit around your equipment. There is also ample room for two radios, GS equipment and monitor along with Batteries. The 1650's can be found on eBay, at reasonable prices.
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:01 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
For the price, the RCTimer S800 appears to be the best purchase. By all accounts, the "Clone" is identical to the DJI version and is more than likely made at the same Factory. As stated by others that have them, by visual inspection, there is virtually NO difference. So, price wise, you are basically saving half of the initial cost. Only YOU can be the judge of how you will spend your money.

As to the Aluminum Case, save your money. If you have a gimbal system on the S800, the case is pretty much of no use for hauling a complete ship. We use a Pelican 1650 Case, that allows the arms to be taken off and stored in the top of the case and the complete Landing Gear with retracts and attached Gimbal System to be packed. The Pick and Pluck Foam inserts make it very easy to get an excellent fit around your equipment. There is also ample room for two radios, GS equipment and monitor along with Batteries. The 1650's can be found on eBay, at reasonable prices.
You are dead wrong ....

For the record RCTimer clones DJI original .... and it is not made by the same factory. Litigation in China/Hong Kong might be forthcoming.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:12 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Sidney,

I don't know that anything I said was untrue, as it is just my opinion, based on research that I have done. There was no intention of providing miss-information at all. It was purely based on what I have personally read in these and other Forums.

You are more than welcome to prove me "Dead Wrong", until then, I will stand by what I said.
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:23 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Ask any DJI dealers in U.S., they will tell you the same. The fact that no US and EU dealers selling RCtimer S-800 clone is solid proof enough. Now, if you go by what you read and go along with the source then it is up to you, dead wrong still.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
sidneyw, you are correct no DJI dealers are stocking the RCtimer s800 clone in the US. But many smaller shops that are not DJI now since DJI gave the boot to many small time shops are stocking RCtimer items. If you guys would not have booted so many dealers you might still have some control over them.
GoneSilent is offline Find More Posts by GoneSilent
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, Glendora
Joined Oct 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSilent View Post
sidneyw, you are correct no DJI dealers are stocking the RCtimer s800 clone in the US. But many smaller shops that are not DJI now since DJI gave the boot to many small time shops are stocking RCtimer items. If you guys would not have booted so many dealers you might still have some control over them.
What us dealer sell rctimer?
Mrtarango32 is online now Find More Posts by Mrtarango32
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:53 PM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
The fact that no US and EU dealers selling RCtimer S-800 clone is solid proof enough.
This fact actually prove that they were told DJI will cancel dealership if they will sell "clones" I suppose, that's about it.
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Last edited by mitmit; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
I have both DJI and RCTimer S800 in front of me now. I am building 2 clones and rebuilding my DJI original at the same time to update my LED nav lights and other stuff I wanted to do for a while. The RCTImer clone and the DJI original are made n the same factory. there is NO disceranable difference between products. well mayeb there is , the bloody price ! apart from that, they are the same. Rather than BS us about the clones factory, why not just DJI lower prices and destroy the clone business plan?> I have nothing against DJI original apart from the obviuos massive design flaws everyone knows about like the arms which of course being the same thing the clone has as well but with reinforcement the clone and original work very well. just drop the prices of original s800 to 1200 USD and clone market goes "poof" until then people are simply going to vote with wallet. thats what capiatism is all about. DJI has long way to go on the pricing front and the customer service front. IF they learn quick they will be all dominant, if they keep along the same path as they are on now, they will get eaten. the new gimbals are going to be out in weeks, lets see if they do the smart thing with zenmuse for gopro or the dumb thing and price it way to high, my bets are they are going to price it about 3 times higher than people are abel to get same performance from new Alex based gimbals. If they do this they are going to have a big wake up call. Once video is released of the clone s800 more and more people will order it as the original is just too expensivce for what you get, especially when DJI has ignored the massive design flaw in arms and stayed silent. S800 is better than my girlfriends ramapant rabbit at making vibrations. in its current form I suggest DJI diversifies into the sex shop industry.
CarterDave060 is offline Find More Posts by CarterDave060
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
hehe, well said Carter,
this is smart marketing.
1. start with "official" s800 for 1600. see they are cooking well - rise the price to 1900.
sertainly, "$2K for the frame" is limited market, I suppose 3000-4000 "aerial pro's" will buy it for sure, but average RC hobbyst will never pay that much.
2. when you feel all the pro's are satisfied, start $1k "clone" program, not from your proven company name of course, otherwise the pro's who already paid $2K will spank you hard.
3. considering the cost of manufacturing in China, I dont absolutely deny the possibility of the "clone of the clone, part3" program sometime..

I dont think we'll ever hear that they are made at the same factory not from DJI nor from RCT, the both have nothing to gain from it)

cheers
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:40 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmit View Post
hehe, well said Carter,
this is smart marketing.
1. start with "official" s800 for 1600. see they are cooking well - rise the price to 1900.
sertainly, "$2K for the frame" is limited market, I suppose 3000-4000 "aerial pro's" will buy it for sure, but average RC hobbyst will never pay that much.
2. when you feel all the pro's are satisfied, start $1k "clone" program, not from your proven company name of course, otherwise the pro's who already paid $2K will spank you hard.
3. considering the cost of manufacturing in China, I dont absolutely deny the possibility of the "clone of the clone, part3" program sometime..

I dont think we'll ever hear that they are made at the same factory not from DJI nor from RCT, the both have nothing to gain from it)

cheers
I love conspiracy theories but you may well be right
Jdmagoo is offline Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:30 PM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
well, the proof of the theory IS the fact that it is much much much more difficult to make ABSOLUTELY identical copy (which, as we know now, is RCT s800), than to just copy ideas like removable arms etc etc and make your own drawings.. if you know what i mean)