SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
Wingbreaker,

Just to break it down a bit for you.... I'm just curious if you are familiar with how much time and money it costs to innovate and develop a product to the point of commercialization? I can assure you it is a great deal of capital.

Then to have a cloner come out and basically create the same product for up to 75% less capital amounts to theft. Plain and simple.

By you saying you have no guilty conscious you effectively are saying you support the theft.

Clearly I know you will not care one bit about my comments and I know I should stay out of this but it irks me that a majority of RC enthusiasts don't see what is happening right under their noses. Eventually you're going to see innovation on a serious decline because nobody or no company will wish to invest time and money to create great new products if they will just end up cloned within the first few months of it's release. The end result will be less 'cool new toys' for modelers.
So cloning DJI frames is theft, but taking code from an opensource project and selling it for-profit with no effort spent on R&D is A-OK? And who says there was any innovation here to be "stolen"? XAircraft started using molded plastic frame arms long before DJI had the idea to flood the market with copycat vibrating frames.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Wingbreaker,

Just to break it down a bit for you.... I'm just curious if you are familiar with how much time and money it costs to innovate and develop a product to the point of commercialization? I can assure you it is a great deal of capital.

Then to have a cloner come out and basically create the same product for up to 75% less capital amounts to theft. Plain and simple.

By you saying you have no guilty conscious you effectively are saying you support the theft.

Clearly I know you will not care one bit about my comments and I know I should stay out of this but it irks me that a majority of RC enthusiasts don't see what is happening right under their noses. Eventually you're going to see innovation on a serious decline because nobody or no company will wish to invest time and money to create great new products if they will just end up cloned within the first few months of it's release. The end result will be less 'cool new toys' for modelers.
Did you read what I said about breaking the law? If it is theft and the product is illegal, I will not buy. I am not interpol or the police so if I can buy it and I am not breaking a law, I will. I owe nothing to these developers, no loyalty, no money. I support my family, nobody else.

I doubt technology will hault . I don't agree with that at all. All these "developers" buy from China and steal ideas elsewhere.

I've been through this argument before with creators of video support gear like sliders and such. They over charge plain and simple. They talk about R&D costs etc but they are out for big profit. I know because I used to make camera sliders that sold for $400 for $150 bucks. I made them exactly the same. $250 fine, $400 that's the real theft. It is the same thing all these "developers" are doing.

The other thing is I have bought stuff from developers, right here on this site, that offer a great product at a reasonable price compared the other rigs that are out there. So that proves you wrong too.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Jun 01, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
They talk about R&D costs etc but they are out for big profit.... $400 that's real theft
I sense a hint of 'occupy' mentality.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:08 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
I sense a hint of 'occupy' mentality.
Ha, no. More like a hint of frugal mentality combined with educated consumerism. I sense a bit of guilt.
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Jun 01, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
I made them exactly the same. $250 fine, $400 that's the real theft.
You clearly stated that the profit made by your competitors (camera sliders) was theft.

I'm struggling to see how company A charging more for a similar product than company B constitutes theft?

Would you be in favor of gov't restrictions on the % of profit a company can bring in?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:24 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
You clearly stated that the profit made by your competitors (camera sliders) was theft.

I'm struggling to see how company A charging more for a similar product than company B constitutes theft?

Would you be in favor of gov't restrictions on the % of profit a company can bring in?
No. Rip off, theft, whatever you want to call overpricing. Charge what you want. i won't buy if the price is wrong unless I need it and it is only available to me at one place. Otherwise price is king. Quality and functionality make a big factor too but that goes along the lines of product availability. Like I said, I won't touch a knock off if I know it is not up to par with the more expensive competitor give or take superficial accessories. I'm talking straight build quality and functionality. Your posts are very accusatory and aggressive BTW. Deifinitly not the traits of a business I would want to buy from.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:26 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Charge what you want. i won't buy if the price is wrong unless I need it and it is only available to me at one place. Otherwise price is king. Quality and functionality make a big factor too but that goes along the lines of product availability. Like I said, I won't touch a knock off if I know it is not up to par with the more expensive competitor give or take superficial accessories. I'm talking straight build quality and functionality.
Now we're beginning to speak the same language. Free market economy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
Even for $999 that they have it for I wouldn't buy it.....you could make something similar for far less.
icedfusion is offline Find More Posts by icedfusion
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Now we're beginning to speak the same language. Free market economy.
In a free market economy, I'd recommend not throwing out accusations of forum members having specific political views. It is not becoming of a business owner or operator.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
In a free market economy, I'd recommend not throwing out accusations of forum members having specific political views. It is not becoming of a business owner or operator.
If I lose a sale (or a hundred) to someone who opposes my political views it won't bother me one bit. I don't succumb to political correctness as much as one might assume a business owner should.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
If I lose a sale (or a hundred) to someone who opposes my political views it won't bother me one bit. I don't succumb to political correctness as much as one might assume a business owner should.
it is not about political correctness it is about insulting a potential client. I had interest in a mktr for another build but now I will not buy one, ever. This is no joke either. A business will not succeed with that kind of attitude towards people.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:43 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
I had interest in a mktr but now I will not buy one, ever. This is no joke either.
No worries. Onward and upward.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:46 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
No worries. Onward and upward.
good luck with that
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I can say that DJI has provided me with great customer service and I can also say that I try and be an educated buyer and would rather pay more to buy from the person who developed it and can provide better service.

I like to reward those who develop stuff on their own.

Why I buy from
Askman TPpacks.com
DJI PhotoShip one
X468.com
Rusty at AGLhobbies
Quinton @ Multiwiicopter.com
CarbonCore frames
Tabb @ CineStar (wish I bought from him)

Wing the small developers are who have made this industry. If we turn I them and buy Rabbit FlightControllers, clone gimbals on eBay and fake frames from online sites then they are all going to stop innovating and move to a different niche market.

Part of being an aware consumer is knowing what our actions as buyers causes

Wing I do not fall into the race to the bottom and hence do not shop as walmart.

I am not going to over spend or buy more toys on the backs of others.

JMO
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Last edited by Adidas4275; Jun 01, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:47 PM
Stockholm
Joined Sep 2009
295 Posts
This version is called "Spreading Legs"...
Jodde73 is offline Find More Posts by Jodde73