Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
They really have no shame huh?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:11 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
582 Posts
.....and they didn't even use the same font!!
dtm360 is online now Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Artic jetflyer
Stabekk, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
.....and they didn't even use the same font!!
Yes, their "M" is not bold

Also look at the RC Timer pic, you can clearly see they have edited out the blue banner with DJI and S800 writing/ logo

The Chinese WILL copy everything right down to the last detail except in many cases the quality.
They even copy design flaws in some cases
sap_2000 is offline Find More Posts by sap_2000
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
I have been in many factories in China and get tons of offers for clones each week.

Most of the larger companies who do have product Patents and have it in a world wide form also have in house counsel who do nothing but chase these things. If you do not chase them you have no precedent and it is harder to enforce. If you do have precedent especially if it is in the same country your odds are much better. However most of the clone companies are 1-2 man operations and will just go away and start up again under a new name only to do the same thing and again be chased out of business with very few products ever being sold (if any).

As DJI has a solid paperwork trail for their Patent I doubt this will last long or even get to market. I would not send this company a dime unless it can be shipped overnight, then what you will get when you open the box is anybodies guess.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
They really have no shame huh?
you guys don't understand the Chinese way of doing business. In China, it is a compliment to copy a design, it is an accepted business practice. Here in the West, everyone sues their neighbor breaking wind in the wrong direction.

I don't know what is patentable about the s800 anyway. Bolt on powered arms was first done by Aeryon. They have the patent for that. So DJI got the idea from them.

It's a well thought out frame, nothing else.
chris24g is online now Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:03 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r View Post
As DJI has a solid paperwork trail for their Patent I doubt this will last long or even get to market.
Could you please point us to where we can find that patent?
Can't see what kind of patent that should be...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
Global Economy, if we can not compete, well you know the rest of the story.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:44 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
you guys don't understand the Chinese way of doing business. In China, it is a compliment to copy a design, it is an accepted business practice. Here in the West, everyone sues their neighbor breaking wind in the wrong direction.

I don't know what is patentable about the s800 anyway. Bolt on powered arms was first done by Aeryon. They have the patent for that. So DJI got the idea from them.

It's a well thought out frame, nothing else.
I don't know about that....

Quote:
In China, it is a compliment to copy a design, it is an accepted business practice.
Never heard of it. The first time I came to trade was 1988.

Quote:
Here in the West, everyone sues their neighbor breaking wind in the wrong direction.
Never got sued; they seem to like it.

Quote:
I don't know what is patentable about the s800 anyway. Bolt on powered arms was first done by Aeryon.
Share your patent filing experience please.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:54 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Chinese government will subsidize a lot of money into startup companies in China, and many times making it a joint venture between the government and private entity. While official patents might scare the little guys away, when there are patent disputes, it's all about who you are partnered with and who you know.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Correct.

I believe dji is doing exactly that with the technology engineering college in China.
chris24g is online now Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:13 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
If I want something and I know I can get the same exact thing for much less, I will buy it. Now if the quality is not there and I risk the money I put into a discount product, I won't touch it unless I'm willing to gamble the amount away. Nobody pays my bills and feeds my family beside me and my wife. I owe it to nobody to buy product from the original creator, as long as I am not braking the law. If this thing is as good as the DJI model, then I will get it with no guilty conscious whatsoever.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Wingbreaker,

Just to break it down a bit for you.... I'm just curious if you are familiar with how much time and money it costs to innovate and develop a product to the point of commercialization? I can assure you it is a great deal of capital.

Then to have a cloner come out and basically create the same product for up to 75% less capital amounts to theft. Plain and simple.

By you saying you have no guilty conscious you effectively are saying you support the theft.

Clearly I know you will not care one bit about my comments and I know I should stay out of this but it irks me that a majority of RC enthusiasts don't see what is happening right under their noses. Eventually you're going to see innovation on a serious decline because nobody or no company will wish to invest time and money to create great new products if they will just end up cloned within the first few months of it's release. The end result will be less 'cool new toys' for modelers.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
And this my friends, is the root IMO of the economic turn down we are facing today. It is a market place of who can produce an item for the cheapest price but yet have a reasonable level of acceptable quality. Many will not be able to compete fairly in this new market place because of labor cost and government restrictions.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Totally agree with you Wingbreaker.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC