SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Discussion
I need your opinion on the Hangar 9 Spitfire 60

HI All,
I have an offer to buy a 2nd hand Hangar 9 Spitfire 60, with an OS 91 four-stroke motor.

If you have this plane or have flown it, please can I have your opinion of it?
(bad habits, tendency to stall, handling on grass, landings etc)

I've been flying for a year, on average 10 flights every weekend and am practicing for my Silver wings rating.

Many thanks,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
130 Posts
THe H-9 spitfire will fly great with the OS91 FS. The plane also flies very stable and is easy to land with flaps because of the light wing loading. Right rudder on take off! You might want to mix in some down elevator with flaps as it balloons up with full flap travel.
ton2di is online now Find More Posts by ton2di
Old May 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Thank you,
How well does it land and take-off without flaps?

Sorry for the bother.
Thanks,

Danny
Old May 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2008
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Thank you,
How well does it land and take-off without flaps?

Sorry for the bother.
Thanks,

Danny
Danny, you don't need flaps for take-off, and you really don't need them for landing either. But the flaps do come in handy when there is no wind to help slow the Spitfire down for landing.
I find, when there is no wind and no flaps selected, the H9 Spitfire just wants to fly by without slowing down. You have to be prepared too select the throttle to idle much sooner than you do when there is a little head wind. You can't go wrong with getting an H9 Spitfire, it flies very well, has no bad tendencies and is a pleasure to own and fly.

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Old May 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Thank you Roger,
it sounds somewhat similar to my Hangar 9 Pulse 60 (with an ASP 91 2 stroke)
In days without wind it does not want to settle down on the runway...

Brgds,
Danny
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:53 AM
Australia, SA, Mt Barker
Joined Jan 2012
34 Posts
H9 spit

Hi mate
i have2 of these fantastic warbirds.one has a thunder tiger 91 and the setup is excellent.
No bad habits at all.im a novice flyer and i havve very easy to to fly.
You will love it.

Cheers
raaf1 is offline Find More Posts by raaf1
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Raaf,
Thanks.
I am getting it today, so I figure we will exchange stories and opinions in the future.

Do you need flaps to land?

Brgds,

Danny
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
H9 60 Spitfire with 91 four-stroke OS = AWESOME plane

Hi,
I maidened it yesterday. we had AWESOME weather at the field with blue skies and no wing at all.

Two clicks of up elevator and it was cruising at 65% throttle, hands off the TX.

I did 4 flights, landings with flaps at 60% mixed with 8% down elevator.
The landings were actually easier than my pulse 60... LOL, it does not have flaps and in days without wind it glides forever.

This is a plane that flies well, looks beautiful in the air and I'm going to enjoy for a long time..

Now it's time to start doing some scale improvements (instrument panel, stick, pilot, maybe cannons as well.)

Thanks to all those who gave me good advice.

Brgds,

Danny
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Sep 2009
130 Posts
Danny,

Yes, the spit needs some elevator mix because it pitches up a lot when the flaps are deployed for landing. Enjoy the plane. YOu can even put a 3 blade prop for more scale appearance.

ton2di
ton2di is online now Find More Posts by ton2di
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Tondi,
I set the flap settings on my TX (DX8) so that when moving from 0 to half or from half to full flaps the flaps move so slowly that it takes 3 seconds for them to reach the new setting.

This causes the changes in the flight characteristics to be very gradual and more controllable (it is also realistic, full scale flaps do travel slowly)

I did mention in my post that I have already mixed some down elevator with the flap settings.

I am currently using an EVOLUTION 15x6 prop and I'm happy with it, I may experiment in the future but for now I'm OK.

Brgds,

Danny