HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:09 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,904 Posts
Maybe the CoG is too far forward now, fb? What happens when you hold the heli by the main shaft, and keep it on it's side? Does the tail move up perhaps?

Also don't underestimate the effect on airflow the holes in the canopy have when going into FFF.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:48 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Maybe the CoG is too far forward now, fb? What happens when you hold the heli by the main shaft, and keep it on it's side? Does the tail move up perhaps?

Also don't underestimate the effect on airflow the holes in the canopy have when going into FFF.
Definitely COG is well fwd now (OK WAY fwd), but I must say I'm enjoying the flights outside like that. Very valid point though, and great method for checking balance. Might try a half step back -that's the great thing about hot glue!

Actually noticed that in my haste to experiment with trim last night I had hot glued the battery holder slightly off centre, then mechanically trimmed to suit. The flybar was "fighting" this, causing a loss of energy. I need to level the swash, then position the battery holder to suit (can do it with masking tape to get the position while flying inside), then re glue the battery holder. Should improve flights even more if the lift/weight ratio improves more

Thanks for the feedback SPF
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:33 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
Paddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They do work. When the breeze is strong enough to turn the blades while you hold the heli in your hand, you can see the paddles being pushed down in the direction of the wind.

I'll let Erdnuckle attest to their effectiveness, who was a non-believer until he tried them.
Hi MassiveOverkill , can you confirm if the fly bar will work on the v911 ?
Doky is offline Find More Posts by Doky
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:51 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
Helios is still going strong. Stoped counting but no issues. I fly it at six minutes and land it. Batteries seem to still have good power. I never let heli go to point where it will not lift off. When you do that you kill battery. Noobs may not like it as throddle is lively and rudder is fast. Not a bad simple heli at good price.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Mar 12, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doky View Post
Hi MassiveOverkill , can you confirm if the fly bar will work on the v911 ?
With some sanding yes. It's not a direct drop-in. The MSR paddles on the stock flybar still work better though.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
With some sanding yes. It's not a direct drop-in. The MSR paddles on the stock flybar still work better though.
Thanks, I'm still relatively new to rc helis , I've being following your tread , where can I purchase the MSR paddles ?
I'm thinking of getting the Benma , but I'm leaning to just getting another v911 new style (new battery style) and getting a 9x Remote as well .
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:43 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
Helios is a step up from V911. Nothing bad to say about V911 it is a fine beginer
heli to 4 ch F/P. Helios is faster/ more powerful and new game but also stable.
T9X is very good Tx.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:01 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doky View Post
Thanks, I'm still relatively new to rc helis , I've being following your tread , where can I purchase the MSR paddles ?
I'm thinking of getting the Benma , but I'm leaning to just getting another v911 new style (new battery style) and getting a 9x Remote as well .
Here is where I bought mine:

http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=8593
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Would you say that the Benma is a better heli to go for ? I'm still undecided
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:45 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
Get both as they are cheap enough. both are fine flyers and different.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:08 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
I have had my H 100 for a time now and still flys as new. No issues with flying. Yes it handles different but flys fine. If you want to advance you need to be able to handle inflight behavior. evey heli has its good and bad side. Noobs the V911 is better, if you can fly get the Helios 100. After that go FBL and skip the Flybared helis as you waste your money. Flybared helis are out of date.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:06 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
541 Posts
Have been doing a little playing around, rather than condemn the Helios to the parts bin as previously threatened. And following all the little mods I've had my best Helios flights ever today

I'm suspicious that the 3 batteries I originally bought are probably the culprits for the previous poor performance, because a number of you guys have posted positive comments, and my Helios had never performed well stock despite trying a different main motor and checking everything else was OK. It had always felt overweight/underpowered, so with nothing to lose I started experimenting with a weight loss program.

First experiments were sheer butchery, trimming plastic and drilling holes in the canopy. It did start to make a noticeable improvement though so I raided the parts bin and did the following:-

1. Carbon main shaft (V922 cutdown)
2. Modified V911 landing skids
3. V911 canopy
4. V911 paddled flybar conversion (Mcpx paddles from Miracle Mart)
These got the weight down to 28.95 grams, but I didn't like the light weight flybar, so replaced it with the standard Helios bar which brought the weight up to 29.28 grams without battery. My 2 V911's (one genuine but slightly modified and one Y911) weigh in around 28.5 grams, so this was a good result.

Flying with this configuration was acceptable inside, but still wasn't cutting it outside, so today I changed the battery lead and trialled one of my quad batteries (250mAH UDI battery). Most successful, so carried on with modifications to the modified battery tray! Worked out well and COG is almost perfect. Flying weight just over 38 grams.

What a huge difference outside though! The additional power is just awesome, as it can now power itself out of situations where it struggled before. It still has that quirky Helios handling, but when it plunges down with its nose in the air, it now has the power fly out of it. And wow, funnels, funnels, funnels! I haven't run a battery out, as the motors get reasonably warm, but after 5-6 minutes outside there's still heaps of power available (timer is set at 5 minutes).

I previously swapped the Rx for a V911 board, so am flying it with a TH9x. That in itself makes a huge difference with plenty of expo to tame that twitchy tail. Have flown half a dozen batteries today and this thing is finally damn good fun
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Last edited by Flyingboats; Apr 13, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:06 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
Helios still flying well. I fly it with 9958's/ V911's /S/P 260/270 and nice work out.
Helios is fastest/ most powerful/ agile amoung all of these. Best overall flyer is 270A/ V911.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 07:56 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,347 Posts
Wow its been a long time. Had this packed away and took it out for fun. Still flys fine. Batteries still were good and no issues.