SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,753 Posts
Did you say twitchy try a Super F/P. Even Genius c/p is easier to fly. Not recomended for faint of heart. Helios was like flying an old friend. I like flying it and it has held up well. S/P 260a gave me a bad time till I used outballs on S/Plate and used hi-rates then it had proper control and flys wonderful. Same for 9958's, hated them now they are very good flyers. Both 9958's are my oldest sice Feb. of this year. Have a great Christmas to all and Heli New Years ??
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I also liked the v911 tx/rx transplant combo. Perhaps MassiveRC will consider selling a Helios BNF with the v911 rx already in place, that would be an attractive custom and unique item that could set them apart from other sellers.
I would be interested in this combo if it could be delivered at a good price. I would just be curious at this point to know what else really is different in the Helios that will improve its performance over a stock V911 with a paddle fly bar?
Tek34 is offline Find More Posts by Tek34
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
The v91`1 board in the helios definately makes this a much better bird to fly.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek34 View Post
I would be interested in this combo if it could be delivered at a good price. I would just be curious at this point to know what else really is different in the Helios that will improve its performance over a stock V911 with a paddle fly bar?
The v911 w/ paddled flybar is hard to beat when flying in small spaces. The Helios w/ transplanted rx is potentially a better straight line flyer outside.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The v911 w/ paddled flybar is hard to beat when flying in small spaces. The Helios w/ transplanted rx is potentially a better straight line flyer outside.
Well despite the 911 rx swap and weight saving (brutal!) mods, I think I've about given up on the Helios. It shows flashes of potential, but despite trying 2 different main motors, different receiver, and with 3 different batteries, it just hasn't set the world on fire for me. I had hoped it would be a more powerful, heavier V911 that would cope with more wind, as I'm flying almost 100% outside at present. Instead my favourite bird has been a stock Yellow V911 with a Helios flybar.

I've bitten the bullet and ordered a V939 plus a V922. Looks as though the Helios could be destined for the parts bin
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Aircraft transmitters don't work with "surface models" like cars and boats. Your point is well taken however.
Some brands tend to make that hard division, yet oddly enough, before 2.4 GHz arrived, you could control anything with your transmitter, the only limit being the number of channels and mixing options that some more complex models require. And same applies to the Turnigy 9x, despite that it's being marketed as a Plane/Heli transmitter, you can just as well use it to drive a car or control a boat.

As for the Helios, I must admit mine hasn't seen much action lately. It's rocking motion and the dive tendency has made it less usable for outside flying as I was hoping for. I think I better get me another 9958 for speeding outside, as a change from flying the SP 260, and keep the Helios for what it is now, a "diversion flyer", meaning it gets some airtime once in a while just to have something different to fly, to keep things interesting. The Helios has a lot going for it, but it lacks in some areas to become my favorite.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, NSW, Malua Bay
Joined Dec 2012
85 Posts
Sorry, normally i would read but this one should be a no brainer for the helio 100 owners. Do any of these bind with the stock v911 transmitter?
Diablos is offline Find More Posts by Diablos
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:41 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Nope, it's not compatible with 9x/Fly Sky/V911 etc.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:57 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Just ordered a set of spare skids for my Helios, so I can experiment with shifting the battery forward, to see if this will at least partially remove the rocking movement...
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:35 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,753 Posts
I know some find more than a few faults with this heli. I like it as easy to adjust to. It flys longer/ harder than most and like to fly it. Glad I have one and look foward to flying it again and again. Mine is damage free after over 100 flights. Replaced nothing, nor bought nothing for it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Kangaroo Point
Joined Mar 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Mine is damage free after over 100 flights. Replaced nothing, nor bought nothing for it.
Same with mine, have flown a heap of flights with it as its as good as new.

The Helios is a great little heli, a worthy addition to my fleet, cheap to.

Never really became popular possibly due to lack of compatibility with flysky/turnigy controllers so you are stuck with that toy TX, unless you change the board.

Flew mine today after some weeks, forgot what speed they have, tremendous lift as well, they will out fly a V911 and 9958 and that's no simple task, great little bird.
ruskky is offline Find More Posts by ruskky
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,753 Posts
If you want to advance to later fly c/p helis you need to go beyond V911's. Helios will help as Quads also.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,633 Posts
How does the Helios prepare someone for CP in ways that other FPs don't?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
How does the Helios prepare someone for CP in ways that other FPs don't?
Perhaps it's relatively responsive cyclic will teach to be gentle on the sticks, but apart from that it's still 45 degree flybar, which corrects itself, so a flybarless FP will still teach you more.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:04 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Perhaps it's relatively responsive cyclic will teach to be gentle on the sticks, but apart from that it's still 45 degree flybar, which corrects itself, so a flybarless FP will still teach you more.
and unfortunately still usually costs three or more times the price of the cheap 45degree FB clones (which is obviously their main reason for their big success ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread