HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:32 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Anybody know the size of the Helios tail motor?

Is it 6mm x 15mm like the mCPX and mSR and nano CPX?

Or is it 6mm x 14mm like the v911?
The Helios' tail motor is longer than the v911's. I tried to measure them with a ruler, by eye ball the Helios' is not quite 15 mm (bottom cap to top cap), but I think it's what you had in mind.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,191 Posts
Thanks for the effort Stonecutter. Much appreciated.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,730 Posts
My spare Helios paddle flybar arrived. I painstakingly removed the weights and tried the flying the Helios. Bad idea! Not only that the see-saw effect is the there, the heli is very difficult to control - counter movements must be made early and fast.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
My spare Helios paddle flybar arrived. I painstakingly removed the weights and tried the flying the Helios. Bad idea! Not only that the see-saw effect is the there, the heli is very difficult to control - counter movements must be made early and fast.
Thanks for the data, I had tried to take the weights out w/o drilling a hole, but to no avail; now I can stop trying. Thinking about it, we should not be surprised at your findings, the Helios paddles do not seemed to be shaped to take advantage of aerodynamics, so the weights are necessary for that flybar to provide the stability.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Well some "good" news from me at last regarding the Helios.

No matter how much i tried i could not get the Helios to fly how it should , or how i see it should. I know there are a few issues that are being looked into by the manufacturer but having the Helios on my shelf was annoying me, soooo ,

Transplanted a spare V911 board into my Helios , everything else is stock , took some mechanical trimming and voila! a V911 on steroids , nice steady hover , the tail now holds and FFF is much better.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
What would happen if you tried the lighter v911 weights in the padde flybar?
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post

No matter how much i tried i could not get the Helios to fly how it should , or how i see it should. I know there are a few issues that are being looked into by the manufacturer but having the Helios on my shelf was annoying me, soooo ,

Transplanted a spare V911 board into my Helios , everything else is stock , took some mechanical trimming and voila! a V911 on steroids , nice steady hover , the tail now holds and FFF is much better.
Glad things worked out well for you. I also liked the v911 tx/rx transplant combo. Perhaps MassiveRC will consider selling a Helios BNF with the v911 rx already in place, that would be an attractive custom and unique item that could set them apart from other sellers.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez1kart View Post
What would happen if you tried the lighter v911 weights in the padde flybar?
I didn't try that. Some months ago, I tried a V911 with a V911 flybar without weights. It as horrible as the Helios with its paddled flybar without weights. I am sure that it wouldn't work on the V911.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
I didn't try that. Some months ago, I tried a V911 with a V911 flybar without weights. It as horrible as the Helios with its paddled flybar without weights. I am sure that it wouldn't work on the V911.
I put a stock Helios flybar on my v911. Works ok but it's more than a gram heavier than a stock v911 flybar. Not a bad mod but I would like it to be a bit more nimble. I would try it with lighter weights if I knew a easy way to remove the stock Helios ones. I'm guessing the heavier the more stable and less nimble.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,191 Posts
Just noticed this on T-mart site - looks like the Helios but red. Also a blue one.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Just noticed this on T-mart site - looks like the Helios but red. Also a blue one.
hmmm... wonder if these are the v2 Helios that James hinted at a while ago, or rebranded older v1's.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Quote:

I hear you man :0)

I just did the same trick..
The TBE is gone.. tail is almost rock solid... much more precise to stick movements (maybe because i used my 9x tx)... it's still heavy, so it dives if you make aggressive cyclic movements (need to adjust with throttle all the time)..now i can finally enjoy it.. still harder to control because of constant throttle adjustments, but much more enjoyable
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Last edited by mumilove; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Aircraft transmitters don't work with "surface models" like cars and boats. Your point is well taken however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
That's exactly what I meant. You might easily attract a customer with a cheap, value for money product, but if you want long term dedication, and customers that await your next product with sky high anticipation, like you see on many Blade products, you need to focus more on transmitter compatibility. NE made this mistake, and tries to fix it with the deal with Futaba, but it still remains to be seen if it's not too late and customers walked out to get a Walkera, Blade, V911 etc instead. Let's hope WL learned from this. They're hot now, but if another company comes with a better, cheaper, etc, heli, they could be less hot tomorrow.

One-transmitter-for-all-feeling, once you tasted it, is hard to get used to going back to small, more toy like RTF transmitters, with less precise sticks, no programming options to tweak the heli to your preferences, etc. And with the same transmitter, you can drive your RC car, or sail your boat. Just switch to another model in the memory, and away you go.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,811 Posts
My main fleet I use Devo 7 TX. It is hooked up to six helis/quads. T9X has a few more. After using these full size TX's those toy TX's are hard to get use to again.
Solo-pro J4 is not bad as the T-Rex 100X, while small they work fine. I most likely will get DSM module for T9X . That gives me option of Walkrea/Blade/WL Toys or some sort of kit. I have retired four WL toys TX's and Four Walkrea TX's. Future several others.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:

I had the same results, love it!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc