HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
First outdoor flight with my "FrankenHelios", v911 rx, v911 main motor, and msr paddles. Had to fly w/o canopy, otherwise the heli would be too heavy to fly.

BenMa Helios with v911 rx and msr paddles outdoor (4 min 17 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,244 Posts
That's some seriously underpowered heli. Almost seems like it's wanting to drill holes in the ground. Is this "frankencopter" so much heavier than a stock Helios or is your main motor dying or less than average?
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Stonecutter , was there a reason to change the motor ? the helios motor seems to have plenty of power ?
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,090 Posts
I feel Helios not perfect but a good buy. Easy to overcome any flight bug. Makes you a better flyer if you get a little challange. For a 100 sized F/P heli this is a good one. Rant and rave if you must, I do not agree with negative feedback and most comes from you know who. Get over it and get something elase. Power is fine and it flys well.. whats not to like ?? You get a RTF with two batteries that are bigger than other offerings/ complete just add batteries to TX, charge flight pack and fly. Low cost nice package. Lowest price for RTF out there. Benma has done a decent job..Brovo well done !! Mico 100size F/P fans get one and see for yourself that Helios is a fine flying bird. Cheers,Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
That's some seriously underpowered heli. Almost seems like it's wanting to drill holes in the ground. Is this "frankencopter" so much heavier than a stock Helios or is your main motor dying or less than average?
It's not any heavier than stock, I think the v911 motor I had as a spare is weaker than the stock Helios motor. Even under powered, it flew pretty well, it just doesn't climb well.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Stonecutter , was there a reason to change the motor ? the helios motor seems to have plenty of power ?
Long story, but I killed the stock motor on my first one by trying to fix a bad board. My second one is all stock and I agree it has plenty of power with the stock battery.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Cheers stonecutter ,I'll try it with the 911 board and see what happens.

@Dan this is a public forum where hobbyists air their view on products negative as well as positive views should be welcomed and accepted, if you have issue with that then maybe you should put those users on ignore or even better buy the site then you can moderate how you wish.

That of course won't happen.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,244 Posts
Nothing wrong with mentioning bad points about a product, as long as it doesn't become a rant. The Solo Pro 260 needs quite some elevator correction when making turns. Some helis turn almost like a coax. Despite that I like more neutral steering better, I still love the 260, because it has other things that make me forgive it's shortcomings. The Helios isn't perfect, but certainly value for money, at least mine was after fixing the play on the main shaft. And after you pull the fake antenna from the tx, so it becomes a little more convenient, it's easier to bring the heli with you.

Things I would like to see in the next version:

- dampened feathering shaft
- TX with backlit display with throttle percentage indicator and no fake antenna, running on 4 AA size rechargable batteries.
- less or no pendulum effect without losing good flight characteristics
- dual charger
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
actually, banggood is sellings a new v911 with "new battery plug".. it's the same in the helios 100 and xieda 9958....

To this new heli they made a new charger with double mountings... so get one of those and charge your batteries two at a time :0)

I would like to link to banggood, but the site is down for the moment :0(
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,244 Posts
I thought the 9958 used the mSR style plug? Is the Helios using the same plug then as the mSR? Or did the 9958 switch plug type to "Helios style"? Double charger would be nice.

Also wish the tail fin would not be black. Makes it harder to see at a distance.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
I think mumilove's statement is incorrect from what I have been reading on the v911 thread.

The 9958 does use the mSR style plug. However, the new v911 uses a larger plug. I think mCPX sized.

So it's not compatible with the 9958.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
I'm beginning to see the merits of changing the battery connector to a more common type. There's evidently a crack down on air mailing lipo's, so a connector that'll accommodate widely (and more importantly locally) available batteries will see more sales.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Helios stock batteries

I tried a few non-stock batteries on my Helios with the v911 motor and the heli performed much better than with stock bats, climb rate was not stellar but adequate. So evidently the stock batteries, while quite good at the beginning, does not last long, I had no more than couple dozen cycles thru each of them, and right now only one of four gives me more than 2-3 minutes of flight time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,244 Posts
When do you stop flying? It 's easy to drain batteries too far on these small helis. When you reach the point where the heli won't stay up it's most likely draining the batt too far. On my NE stuff I use the throttle percentage indicator to determine when a battery is about 80 to 85 percent discharged and it's time to land. Haven't lost a battery since then.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:49 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,266 Posts
Over discharge may have been a factor, but I fly the same way with the v911 and the v911 batteries give me way more cycles than couple dozen. Good thing the Helios can accommodate eflite type batteries, I have a stash of Turnigy 160's and Nano-tech 160's that seem to work well with this heli.
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:34 PM.