HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Your video says 'msr paddles' which is a little confusing. I thought you said that the Helios was otherwise stock everything?
I said I have another one that's stock everything, the one in the vid has v911 motor and msr paddled flybar (w/ paper sleeve), and of course the v911 board. Long story short of how I end up w/ 2 Helios, the one I'd order long ago was defective (would not bind) when it finally arrived, after a period of email back & forth, BG sent me another RTF as replacement, which I intend to keep stock.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
629 Posts
After a reasonable number of batteries through the Helios, I can see both sides of the likes/dislikes. Replaced the main motor at the weekend as flight times were getting shorter and shorter. Also cut the battery holder off and hot glued it on hard forward toward the canopy screw.

Couldn't resist and dropped a NE260 carbon shaft in. The shaft was slightly too short, but got it flying. Flew nicely inside, but outside it lost stability (like flying with a short flybar) either from the lowered blades, or the slightly restricted swash movement from the short shaft. What was really noticeable though is how much the performance improves with a little less weight! The heli really glides, and with some breeze I could throttle right back at times and let the heli "glide" in the same way my paddled 911's do (both with carbon shafts too).

Dropped the metal shaft back in, and definitely flying better with the battery fwd, but I miss the extra throttle punch, glide, and battery life. Had some nice flights out and over the house tonight, and its good fun with it's speed compared to the 911's. it just feels as though it struggles with its power to weight...

Has anyone come accross any longer carbon shafts that would fit? Banggood spares seem to be metal only....

After 2nd battery tonight (flew a battery in a 911 between to let it cool down) the tail was getting sluggish on right turns, so it looks as though the tail motor is on it's way out as well. Probably only flown 25-30 batteries since new, so not a great track record so far. Also replaced main blades as one cracked (someone previously noted these as a weak point, and the moulding changes thickness at the point where it cracked, leaving a stress point).

So the verdict is? Shows some potential as a base for modding, but wouldn't bother with it stock. Controller/receiver, and quality issues let it down, but with some of those sorted and a weight loss program, it could be pretty good.

Sorry about the long post!
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Thanks for the review, Flyingboats. I'm considering getting one and dropping a V911 RX into it. I like having the variety of canopy colors and I like having the variety in flying performance.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Speaking from my own limited experience, the Helios can use a more powerful motor, the stock barely suffice. And is severely under powered with a v911 main motor, even stripped down weight-wise.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,801 Posts
Helios 100 Fine flying Mico heli

I flown this for several weeks now and just finished 48 th. Flight. Keep a log book just to see how micos are doing. Helios is doing just fine and a Real nice heli. Power is very good and controls react fine. Batteries holding well and no damage. Heli goes where I want and very smooth. Nice banked turns and good Looking heli. Tail is quick but most 4ch F/P's are also. If you know how to fly this is a good addition to your fleet. New 4 ch flyer will have problem with yaw movements. Looks Good/ Flys good/ hold up fine, so whats not to like ??
Sorry to hear some have problem, contact seller. No need for me to Frankencopter this baby, just fine and dandy little heli. So for those who are flying the V911, step up a notch and get a Helios. Nothing wrong with V911 WL Toys have done mico helis a fine service. Helios is a better flyer for me.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Couldn't disagree more, I'd say its a step down from the v911

While the frame is a lot stronger its also heavier but uses the same boom as the v911 similar to the v929 which can twist.
The tail is never really steady whether due to bad components/software or the twisting
I've already mentioned the porpoising and strange flight characteristics.

I think others have also mentioned issues , too many intact.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:54 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I said I have another one that's stock everything, the one in the vid has v911 motor and msr paddled flybar (w/ paper sleeve), and of course the v911 board. Long story short of how I end up w/ 2 Helios, the one I'd order long ago was defective (would not bind) when it finally arrived, after a period of email back & forth, BG sent me another RTF as replacement, which I intend to keep stock.
LOL. Thanks for the explanation. It's hard to keep up with everyone's fleet!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:53 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,380 Posts
Finally received my Helios from BG. According to the manual the USB charger light will be off when the battery is full, but mine goes straight off when I connect the battieries. Does Benma ship these helis with lipos fully charged? I thought these always came at storage voltage, 3,85 volt.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:05 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,727 Posts
Charging information

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
For my Helios charging cable, red light on means battery is fully charged, no lights mean charging. When a battery with some charge is plugged in, the red light will be very dimly lit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskky View Post
Your right, the manual is wrong, it reads that red is charging, beats me

I flattened a battery, when connected the red light stays on, wriggled the cord a bit for no light and now appears to be a full charge after about 30 minutes.
Previous discussion on charging.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:09 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,380 Posts
Ah, classic case of manual vs reality.

Had my first flights, very twitchy rudder. It is possible to turn smooth but hard as the sticks provide little feedback. On forward flight there is tendency to slide right as well, adding some left trim helps, but it seems odd, as the handsfree hover was ok before adding left trim. I can see the rocking/porpoising people mentioned, it's indeed quite pronounced. No wonder as the heli is quite tail heavy. Did someone already experiment with a shorter tail? As adding weight in the nose seems like a real no-no on an already heavy (relatively seen) heli.

It really likes to pick up speed in a turn, and as such reminds me of the roller-coaster like flying the 9958 does. I tried full thows, but these are insane for such a simple transmitter, with no expo and other control adaptation options. I might see what happens if I move the control rods to the inner holes on the servo arms, while still selecting high rates. Might be a usable compromise between more throw than "beginner mode" but the twitchy full rate mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Ah, classic case of manual vs reality.

Had my first flights, very twitchy rudder. It is possible to turn smooth but hard as the sticks provide little feedback. On forward flight there is tendency to slide right as well, adding some left trim helps, but it seems odd, as the handsfree hover was ok before adding left trim. I can see the rocking/porpoising people mentioned, it's indeed quite pronounced. No wonder as the heli is quite tail heavy. Did someone already experiment with a shorter tail? As adding weight in the nose seems like a real no-no on an already heavy (relatively seen) heli.

It really likes to pick up speed in a turn, and as such reminds me of the roller-coaster like flying the 9958 does. I tried full thows, but these are insane for such a simple transmitter, with no expo and other control adaptation options. I might see what happens if I move the control rods to the inner holes on the servo arms, while still selecting high rates. Might be a usable compromise between more throw than "beginner mode" but the twitchy full rate mode.
I kind of like the tail heaviness feel, seems to put on air brakes when you let go of the right stick. My theory is that is due to a heavy flybar, so shortening the tail may not help, but if you are willing to experiment, please keep us posted.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,380 Posts
I thought the paddles are not that heavy, and perhaps even lighter than a flybar with just weights? Or am I wrong?

I also like it when a heli can stop well, but it looks a little odd to see the heli behave like an invisible string is holding it and has it rocking back and forth on nearly every stick input. I know the odd behavior that 45 degree flybar systems can have, but haven't seen one behave like this. Especially not after flying the Solo Pro 270, which has ultra smooth response.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I also like it when a heli can stop well, but it looks a little odd to see the heli behave like an invisible string is holding it and has it rocking back and forth on nearly every stick input. I know the odd behavior that 45 degree flybar systems can have, but haven't seen one behave like this. Especially not after flying the Solo Pro 270, which has ultra smooth response.
Totally agree... very odd behaviour which i can't see on Xieda 9958, wltoys v911 or Nine Eagles 260A... only on helios 100
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,380 Posts
Btw, why does the TX use a fake antenna, when it only makes it less convenient the store it? If it really has no function at all, except make ik look like a more capable TX, I think it will come off pretty soon...

Just finished trimming mine out, it really needed some adjusting. After that it does a decent handsfree hover.

Just a thought, but the main blades on mine are curved downwards a little, instead of coning upwards. Could that explain the rocking? A little V-shape coning adds to a heli's stability, but the Helios has inverted V when seen from the side.

And how common is a mm of play on the main shaft? Seems like the holes are drilled not precisely, I think I will turn the gear 90 degrees, then drill a new hole. Too much play on the main shaft could explain the right sideways tracking when giving forward elevator, and perhaps also the rocking as the shaft slides up and down on cyclic input...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Another flight with my Helios with v911 rx and msr paddles. It may or may not be evident in the video, but the Helios is eager to move once you give an input, but still can change direction quickly when you want to. I think the only thing missing is a more powerful motor, I may put in a SP 270 motor and see.

BenMa Helios 100 with v911 rx and msr paddles (2 min 7 sec)