HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
I find the ballooning and sinking awful it really is like some cheap chinese clone you would buy at a carboot sale or fleamarket , whoever released this amongst the current relatively stable micro helis should be sacked it really is like going back to the Walkera 4#3 samples.

So far ive ran about 10-12 batteries through it including 3-4 at the club last night , next time ill get some one to film it because it is that bad.
I hope the v911 board addresses some of your issues; I think it will, the Helios tx takes some getting use to, it requires surprisingly large stick movements for such a small tx. I may try a board transplant myself when I get some spare v911 boards.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,228 Posts
OK, Helios TX does take some flying to get use to it but does indeed work. Far from perfect but I get mine to go anyplace I want it to go. Each and every heli/quad is similar but different. For $35.95 or close RTF package with a good flying heli come on give it a break. My V200D01 w shipping cost me $180.00. It 250 size brushless FBL 4 ch and its a beauty, but still only a High end 4 ch F/P heli. Granted a fine heli and looks awesome. I like them both just fine. No regrets what so ever. Hey you get a bad bird get a refund/replacement. I had a L/Bird V1 die in flight after one minute into its sixth flight. Cause most likely bad conection from RX plug. I told seller either replace it or refund $$. If T-mart does nothing but think they will/ I'll fix it myself. Do I bash Walkrea ..no I do not. Yes it should not happen but old saying shi* happens !! Bottom line Helios is a fine RTF package.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
You see , i hate comments regarding the price point , WE dont set the price point the VENDOR does , so comments like "you get what you pay for" or FOR $35.95 are just stupid to be honest.

As for the TX apart from it being a little "nasty" your right it does work , doesnt mean anything the heli itself in its movements balloons or drops , no matter what your reasoning or excuses for a bad product are in this marketplace we already have a glut of 4ch clones and clones of clones this one stands out simply because of its bad characteristics.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,682 Posts
I think the price point is not a valid excuse. Mostly the cheaper helis are advertised as even better than more expensive ones, but on second glance perhaps that promise can't be sustained. Especially not when quality variation rears it's ugly head...

Btw, still waiting for my Helios. Beginning to think it is getting flown here on it's own motor...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:20 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,228 Posts
You don't agree with me thats fine. I find Helios a step up from V911 , granted not much. My point about price stands on its own merits. I have the T-Rex 100X/ S/P 270A/ S/P 260A V911/ Helios 100 and find them all good flyers. The Align TX works very well but no dual rates/ S/P J-4 works well and has dual rates/ Helios not as good but useable and with little flying works fine. Bang good has very detailed add with vid showing Helios and what it does well ..flys. To complain about color did you not see the add ? Now thats stiupid if you ordered it and them complain about what it looks like !
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
I saw the advert and the paint job is still bad , but carry on.............................

Is this were i list my helis so we can measure our balls on the internet ?

The Helios is a twitchy flier that has very strange properties , you dont agree , thats fine just dont reply to my posts its really that simple , ill take my experience and say its a bad flier you take yours and be happy.

As for the price and your "merits" honestly keep them.

We will just have to agree to disagree.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:37 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
362 Posts
It really does look like there must be severe QC issues with this heli. Some of the positive feedback in this thread could in no way be applied to the heli that I received. This being the case it is certain that I will not be wasting any more of my money on another Benma product.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
nose diving??

Hey

First post on here, i've been lurking about reading up on various threads waiting for my helios to turn up...

Now it's arrive I have to say I love it, the only thing that I haven't quite mastered is the nose diving when flying outside on dual rates. Is this a common behaviour?

I'm totally hooked on heli's now and am already considering my next purchase, i'm tempted with a Quad like the ladybird but am also considering a ncpx...

Not sure which to opt for yet though.
Firetrap is offline Find More Posts by Firetrap
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Nose diving

I also have huge problems with nose diving... and pendulum movements..

When ever i give it full forward, the nose DIVES.. like straight to the ground..
And on every movement i make, the bird just kicks back.. like a pendulum movement... this makes it a VERY BAD heli for me..

I got v911... i had the TBE very bad... i changed the flybar and it was steady as hell..

The helios 100 is also very, very steady... but the flybar paddles makes it reject any movement you try by kicking back big time....

I learned that when ever you make a movement with the helios, you need to give a lot of throttle to minimize the nose dive. And once you are done with the move, you need to relax and then apply the same movement again to minimize the kick back effect....
This makes it a very hard heli to fly.. not like v911... which is dead on..

I also tried to mount a v911 flybar on it.. did not help much..

My experience with the helios 100... steady hover but very hard to fly and to keep straight.
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
nose diving

If you give it full forward, that means you want the heli's nose to point downward as much as it could, it's just doing what you commanded it to do. Now if you are having problems with controlling the degree at which it points its nose, then it's a different issue.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If you give it full forward, that means you want the heli's nose to point downward as much as it could, it's just doing what you commanded it to do. Now if you are having problems with controlling the degree at which it points its nose, then it's a different issue.
Hmm.. not the same behaviour with my v911, mjx f45 and xieda 9958...
They all dive a little, but the helios just goes 90+ degree downwards... even with full throttle!
mumilove is offline Find More Posts by mumilove
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:04 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumilove View Post
Hmm.. not the same behaviour with my v911, mjx f45 and xieda 9958...
They all dive a little, but the helios just goes 90+ degree downwards... even with full throttle!
The fact that it likes to dive is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is predictable and consistent. I actually like the extra forward momentum the Helios have compared to say the v911, which seemingly requires constant stick input to keep it moving.
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:20 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
I'm not sure if nose-diving while full elevator forward (at high rate of course) is "normal", but I find that ok. It is nothing like the V911 but that's the reason why it can be so much fun. Normally, I don't give it full forward, but when I do, I'll first send it high (2 storeys?) then let it dive down. It'll pick up so much speed that if I'm not alert, it'll smash into the ground. If I can pull if off, the sense of achievement is immense.

Try this - after applying full elevator forward, watch its nose. If it dives at a very steep angle, pull back. Avoid exceeding the maximum dive angle. You'll understand that after a very attempts.

The Helios 100 allows forward dive very much more than the V911. The V911 restricts you to a "safe" dive angle. This could be a good thing for novice but prevents advanced flight routines. Not sure if it is the same, but for CP helicopters, at high rate (100% or 125%), applying full ailerons or elevators will tilt the heli so much that it goes inverted or loops. That's not a bad thing.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,252 Posts
Helios with v911 rx

The spare v911 boards came in yesterday, did the transplant on the Helios that had the v911 motor (I have another one w/ stock everything). Turned out what I expected, good controls like the v911, and still have the flight characateristics of the Helios (good straight-line tracks and fast forwards).

BenMa Helios 100 with v911 rx and msr paddles (2 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Your video says 'msr paddles' which is a little confusing. I thought you said that the Helios was otherwise stock everything?
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member