HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
When you swapped the board over, I suppose it uses the Helios battery connector and battery? I think the Helios battery pack makes a difference.
Yes, the larger capacity battery was one of the attractions. Easy enough to solder the connector on.
Flyingboats is online now Find More Posts by Flyingboats
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my helios with the v911 board in it. It was great before that and absolutely fantastic afterwords with the 9x radio!....
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:05 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
I absolutely LOVE my helios with the v911 board in it. It was great before that and absolutely fantastic afterwords with the 9x radio!....
I guess some fly better than others. Mine went from being decidedly average, to good with the 911 board (although I'm using a 911 transmitter rather than 9x). Perhaps Benma will release bind'n'fly versions? Would definitely try another then. If it was that good before the swap, it would be spectacular after
Flyingboats is online now Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,852 Posts
I have two F/P helis that I can lift off straight up from pad with no sliding. T-Rex 100X and Helios 100. The V911 is a very good bird but not nearly as smooth. I like to keep helis on the move and just hover to land. Unless defective I find all available F/P 4 ch helis to be more than a good deal. If you like 100 size helis/ quads as I do the Helios is a must have. If you also like mini quads Do get Ladybird V1/V2 and minium Devo 2402D. Devo 7/7e/8s/10 etc even sweeter. I know they cost more but you will have a bird that does what you want it to. 7e does not have bb gimbals other do. So whats with ball bearings on gimbals you ask ? Smoothness thats unreal. T9X does not have them either. 2402D is simple but full sized TX and works just fine.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Well my Helios arrived today from Banggood , first impressions ?

Transmitter is bad , the covering just feels awful , the tx itself looks and feels like a toy , the gimbals are horrible and like those found on a $10 coaxial. Theres a stupid neck sling/thing above the on/off button which inhibits my turning the tx on , just plain bad design.
The Helios itself looks well built and feels a lot sturdier than the V911 , whether thats a good or bad thing at this size and weight im not sure yet ,one thing i really dont like is the paint job on the canopy , being completely honest it just looks crap , a straight yellow would have been better the grey/black mess at the back part of it looks like a 3 year old did it.

Ill have a fly when the batts are charged.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
oh god thats a seriously bad flying helicopter
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,852 Posts
Well its't that special? Someone doesn't like TX color/ etc/ and it flys bad,oh my ! Bang good does show nice vidieo on this heli. Granted TX is not that nice but does work fine. For what it is I find it a fine little bird. Helios is as good if not better than anything in its price range. I like V911 just fine , but like Helios a tiny bit more. Good luck with it anyway.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Well my Helios arrived today from Banggood , first impressions ?

Transmitter is bad , the covering just feels awful , the tx itself looks and feels like a toy , the gimbals are horrible and like those found on a $10 coaxial. Theres a stupid neck sling/thing above the on/off button which inhibits my turning the tx on , just plain bad design.
The Helios itself looks well built and feels a lot sturdier than the V911 , whether thats a good or bad thing at this size and weight im not sure yet ,one thing i really dont like is the paint job on the canopy , being completely honest it just looks crap , a straight yellow would have been better the grey/black mess at the back part of it looks like a 3 year old did it.

Ill have a fly when the batts are charged.
Actually, if anything, that inhibits you to turn it off, since you push the switch up to turn on, and the neck sling is above the switch. A bigger question is whether a neck sling is needed at all ... does anybody use neck slings? on any transmitter?
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Well its't that special? Someone doesn't like TX color/ etc/ and it flys bad,oh my ! Bang good does show nice vidieo on this heli. Granted TX is not that nice but does work fine. For what it is I find it a fine little bird. Helios is as good if not better than anything in its price range. I like V911 just fine , but like Helios a tiny bit more. Good luck with it anyway.
Not special more like 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

The tx is the same sort of , the leathery/swede type finish is quite slippy , the gimbals are just bad , the throttle display whilst nice is a bit weird but obviously functional.

The heli , well i must have received a dud , forward and reverse flight cause ballooning whilst left and right cause altitude drop , the tail is ridiculous and either drifts or over compensates and is never steady and excessively twitchy to the point of being a pain.
The throttle is also overly sensitive , whilst its "smooth" the centre points around 40-70% are over exaggerated and cause very quick lift compared to the lower and higher points, whilst some may like that i dont , this is not a 3d heli and to a point its throttle range should be steady and if not they should be programmable.

The heli itself is well built and runs very smoothly but its let down by the other "issues" , the tail motor on the boom is also a problem , if i hold the heli and slightly twist the tail it actually stays in that position rather than returning back to being relatively vertical.

Its a shame because atm the cons outweigh the pro's , i will definately be soldering a spare v911 board into this to see if that cures some of the issues.

An afterword , my experience is based on flying anything from 6ch down to coaxials for the last 7-8 years ( more 6ch than anything else ) flying quads and planes and being employed as a heli and plane builder for 3 local hobby shops as well as building for one of the UK's biggest online retailers, my build and flight experience i would say is experienced.
Does that mean i know more than anybody else ? lol of course not everybodies experience is valuable but what it does mean is that i can compare this with a very wide range of models from multiple very well known vendors.

Maybe i should ask Aaron from Banggood to replace this one as if this is how the Helios is supposed to fly, well , its really bad.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,230 Posts
eflite batteries

I was considering cutting the back stop, but this will do. Turnigy 160's worked fairly well, comparable to stock battery. I used the connector extension because I didn't want to pull on the wires too much.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
A bigger question is whether a neck sling is needed at all ... does anybody use neck slings? on any transmitter?
I've always wanted to be able to fit a neck sling on all my TXes. I could do that with my J6 Pro and KDS K-7XII, but the WLtoys transmitters do not have this feature. Being able to go hands-free is really useful at times, e.g. when swapping batteries. For larger, heavier transmitters and using the "pinch" method, the neck sling allows me to anchor the TX base on my tummy, while its weight rests on my neck. (I don't know how to explain this properly in words.)
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
The stupid thing is the standard connector used on a "neck sling" wont fit through the Helios transmitter , i use them on my Futaba and my 9X.

Really sorry i bought this heli now it flies that bad , its only hope is the v911 board , if that doesnt help its straight to the bin.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,747 Posts
It's not easy to fly. It took me a while to get it right. After months of inactivity, I tried it and... I couldn't fly it properly again! But, once I got the hang of it, it's manageable. I don't dislike it because I actually find it rewarding when I could tame it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
I find the ballooning and sinking awful it really is like some cheap chinese clone you would buy at a carboot sale or fleamarket , whoever released this amongst the current relatively stable micro helis should be sacked it really is like going back to the Walkera 4#3 samples.

So far ive ran about 10-12 batteries through it including 3-4 at the club last night , next time ill get some one to film it because it is that bad.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,747 Posts
I'm just sharing my video again to show it is possible to tame the bird.

Benma Helios 100 - Flying in the Carpark (5 min 40 sec)