SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:35 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
I have been flying quads and my Y-6 Scorpion lately but allways fly Helios also. The Helios just seems to be better as time marches by. Dandy little bird. My last orange/black V911 is perhaps the best of my V911's. They all are fine flyers but this one is very close to Helios for smooth flying. Hey maybe I'mm getting better? Time to start with my FBL 4 ch helis also. Later 6ch from 100 size to 450 size.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
The real Helios (slightly off topic)

Found this on youtube.

Helios Solar Aircraft Sets Altitude Record 96,863 feet (2 min 7 sec)

Maybe wl toys can develop an affordable miniature version as its next undertaking ....
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:16 AM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I had to fly w/ minimum weight due to weaker v911 motor (stock motor's top cap came off). Medium length msr paddled flybar seem to be the best one I'd tried so far, no noticeable porpoising, while still agile and maneuverable.
Hi Stonecutter. Can't remember if anyone has posted comparative flybar weights? I'm surprised the Helios flybar isn't longer, as the paddles are small compared to the MSR paddles, so it's relying more on the weight than the aerodynamics of the paddles. My favourite V911 has a slightly longer (MSR) paddled flybar, plus I added a little additional weight to the paddles.

Had my first Helios flights yesterday, then again tonight. I'm not overwhelmed so far, but feel that I need to give it a chance stock before starting to modify. I find the stock controller very twitchy on the tail, despite having flown earlier V911's on high rates for quite a while before doing the transmitter resistor mod. At present the best mod appears to be dropping a V911 board into it, but experimetning with flybar is also a great idea.

I thought range was OK until control got patchy over the neighbour's airspace, resulting in a 15 minute search before retrieving Again, the V911 range appears to be better. Looking forward to more flying with the Helios though as it handles so differently to the various V911's.

Thanks for posting results of your experiments.
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:33 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,972 Posts
I like the Helios battery so swapping over the V911 board may not work out for me. Can the twitchy tail be fixed with a resistor mod?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
The Helios certainly flies differently from the v911; whereas the v911 is great for tight turns, the Helios is great for wide sweeping turns and straight runs, not surprising considering the mass difference (difference in frame may contribute as well). I think the stock Helios flybar is too heavy, and the paddles are not shaped to take advantage of the aerodynamics, but it is ultra stable, as everyone has found. For my flying style and habit, I prefer a lighter flybar but I couldn't get the weights off easily (another member drilled a hole in the paddle to get his off). I may just abandon the Helios flybar all together and stick w/ MSR flybars of different lengths to suit my mood.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,370 Posts
The Helios must be a heavy bird. Just got some landing gears and it's about 2.7g 1.91 (reweighed...apologies).

Bigger than v911. Guess not too much bigger. Just more "meat" to it so it looks it. Much more sturdy feeling.

I think the y911 strikes a good balance.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:11 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
...the Helios is great for wide sweeping turns and straight runs...
I find the tail is so twitchy it's hard to pull nice sweeping turns. My 911's are much better in that respect. Also noticeable that the Helios is losing or gaining quite a lot of height when turning using the tail motor, almost as though the current draw from the tail is having quite an influence on main motor. The tail motor is strong, and pirouettes are fast.

Might take a look at the transmitter in the weekend with a view to adding resistors. Will also try some other flybars.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
The tail on Helios is very quick but a great flyer. I indeed like my V911's big time, but like flying Helios just a tad better. Each heli is different evn same make. That is part of the game and makes you a better flyer. I clean/ service/ and store them like a good machine. They [mico's] are a good learning tool for RC Rotor craft flying. I have a long road to go but well into getting experience for 6 ch C/P birds. I will allways have some micos for indoor fun.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
From what I understand, the 4 channel FBL birds will be delayed till probably 1st quarter next year or later. Guess we'll have to stick with these ones for now!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:16 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,368 Posts
Talk about FBL 4ch. I flew my V100D01 FBL heli. This is an older Walkrea bird all brushless. Man it nice but very much different. Very easy to get in a bad spot. It survived my flight. I will surely need more room as it is quite fast to respond. The Helios is much tamer for sure !!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:36 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
Helios 100 with full length msr flybar: indoor

BG kept their promise and sent me a replacement RTF (I didn't ask for that, but I will graciously accept). The new one had a "QC08" sticker on the bottom of the canopy (along w/ the BG sticker) so I gathered that meant it went thru a quality control process (?). Everything worked as they should this time.

I had found that a medium length flybar worked well for a light version of this heli (no canopy, no skids), so I had reasonable hopes that a full length one might work on a normally weighted heli. I don't know if the video does it justice, but I really llke the response of the full length msr flybar, no pronounced porpoising, good control and maneuverability.

BenMa Helios 100 with full length MSR paddle flybar (2 min 16 sec)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
[QUOTE=stonecutter;22975917]I had found that a medium length flybar worked well for a light version of this heli (no canopy, no skids), so I had reasonable hopes that a full length one might work on a normally weighted heli. I don't know if the video does it justice, but I really llke the response of the full length msr flybar, no pronounced porpoising, good control and maneuverability./QUOTE]

Looks good and great flying! I tried a V911 bar last night, standard but bent to avoid flybar strikes. Didn't improve it at all. I've been coming to the conclusion that the flybar needs more length.

It's really stable hovering, but when turning it just takes off, and can get out of control quite easily after a series of turns. Flybar and links feel fine (nice free movement), and it feels as though the flybar isn't doing enough to stabilise it. Might also try a graphite lube on blades and links....
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
From what I understand, the 4 channel FBL birds will be delayed till probably 1st quarter next year or later. Guess we'll have to stick with these ones for now!
That stinks. Any indication as to why they are delayed? Have they built any test units yet that you are aware of?
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Completed the transplant today after signing the death warrant on my red/white original V911. Swapped the receiver board into the Helios and it's absolutely transformed. After 2 batteries outside in wild gusty conditions I can understand all the positive comments, I'm going to enjoy this

Definitely more stable in the wind with the additional weight over the 911's, but more weight forward would help on these windy days.Tried (inside only) turning the landing skids backwards to place the battery weight further fwd, but didn't make as much difference as I expected. Must try this outside....

Also dropped a Helios flybar onto my Y911, and recycled the old red/white 911 canopy onto it with a little surgery to lower it so as to avoid flybar strikes. Really pleased with this too, it's flying well.

Feel spoiled for heli choice now
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:51 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,972 Posts
When you swapped the board over, I suppose it uses the Helios battery connector and battery? I think the Helios battery pack makes a difference.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG