Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I have no idea how two crystals would work in parallel, assuming that the 1st crystal is not completely dead. So, if by adding a working crystal caused it to function, why not try cutting off the old one, and see if that will make a difference? Again, I don't know how it works. Just guessing out loud here.
I think I see what you are alluding, if the other crystal still has life it may cause unforseen effects. I'm not sure how easy it is to cut the old one off, I had enough trouble getting the new one on. Plus, my employer have this strange notion that I'm suppose to work, what's this world coming to?
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,106 Posts
Yes, what is this world coming to? LOL

But to disconnect the old crystal out of the picture, isn't it just a matter of clipping its two legs off? Or if you'd prefer, you could set a tiny amount of C4 on to that crystal and detonate. The choice is yours.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, what is this world coming to? LOL

But to disconnect the old crystal out of the picture, isn't it just a matter of clipping its two legs off? Or if you'd prefer, you could set a tiny amount of C4 on to that crystal and detonate. The choice is yours.
Hey HP, I took out the old crystal by wriggling it til its legs snap (I'll save the C4 for future use ), and guess what? The servos now respond almost like that of the v911. Still have the draw back of the rocking after a maneuver, which occurs with stock flybar as well as stock v911 flybar. I'm guessing that's due to the extra mass of the Helios (?).
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:20 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,202 Posts
Helios with short msr paddled flybar

Short flight of Helios with short msr paddled flybar. Flies like an extra heavy v911 (w/ similar flybar), but still very controllable, plenty of tilt available, but it can get out of hand fairly quickly (see end crash). Verdict: much less rocking/porpoising, but gotten some pendulum instead. A slightly longer flybar might be the answer.

BenMa Helios 100 with short MSR paddle flybar (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 02, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:50 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,106 Posts
That's a lot of pendulum. I got dizzy watching that video. Don't think the mSR flybar is a good match for the Helios. Do you always fly w/o the canopy? Looks a little tail heavy in that video, but shouldn't cause all that instability.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
Man thats one nasty flying thing. Flew my Helios a couple of times and seveal quads. Nice day flying and all made it out undamaged. The Helios in stock form is amoung one of the best clones out there. I know some will not agree, don't really care. I have replaced bad tail motors/ flybars/ landing gear but to frankecopter one no way. I am very imporessed as my V911's have done a very fine job of flying and still are in good shape. Flying 28g F/P helis outside is just asking to crash. I waited a long time for my Helios to arrive, but it was more than worth it. China has big holiday going on and have to wait to order another .
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:29 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Man thats one nasty flying thing. Flew my Helios a couple of times and seveal quads. Nice day flying and all made it out undamaged. The Helios in stock form is amoung one of the best clones out there. I know some will not agree, don't really care. I have replaced bad tail motors/ flybars/ landing gear but to frankecopter one no way. I am very imporessed as my V911's have done a very fine job of flying and still are in good shape. Flying 28g F/P helis outside is just asking to crash. I waited a long time for my Helios to arrive, but it was more than worth it. China has big holiday going on and have to wait to order another .
I'm enjoying mine very much also! - right along with my v911's. The Helios is a blast to fly
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
V911's/ Helios 100 we are indeed luck to have these two fine birds available. The Helious I can raise straight up to hover and nail a spot langing on my foam board heli-pad every time. V911 is close but a little less stable..not by much. I enjoy flying them both. Plus Helios had a 180ma battery compared to 130,ma. If you are into mico 100 sized birds 4ch both are a must have, plain and to the point. I have nothing to gain , just like to fly at any time/ and at a moments notice.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,265 Posts
Hopefully buying the Helios won't be much of a game of chance soon. A good flying Helios really flies great...but it depends on whether or not you get a good one in the first place
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hopefully buying the Helios won't be much of a game of chance soon. A good flying Helios really flies great...but it depends on whether or not you get a good one in the first place
I feel fortunate then, because I LOVE my Helios! even more so since I added the v911 rx!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:48 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I almost ordered one of these last week but ended up getting a DH 9116 and a V939 instead. I keep checking this thread though and I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and see what she's all about. I'll have to wait till next week though, been ordering way too much stuff lately. Credit card bill is just pages of Paypal deductions.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,202 Posts
Helios with medium length msr paddled flybar

I had to fly w/ minimum weight due to weaker v911 motor (stock motor's top cap came off). Medium length msr paddled flybar seem to be the best one I'd tried so far, no noticeable porpoising, while still agile and maneuverable.

BenMa Helios 100 with msr paddles (3 min 3 sec)
Last edited by stonecutter; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Matt black looks really cool but not practical for flying under poor lighting conditions. I fly my black/orange V911 at night at a basketball court lit with spotlights, but I have a hard time figuring out the orientation of my helicopter. After changing to white main and tail rotors, I can fly it better at night. Hopefully they come in lighter colours as well.
Agree 100%! I think the best looking v911's I own are the black/orange ones (I'm convinced it was a marketing mistake and they would've sold even more black v911's if they had introduced the red/white & blue/white ones first). But the black/orange ones are the hardest ones for me to see past 30 or 40 feet also.
IceRail is online now Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:41 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
I like the black and orange as it looks much like my Genius c/p. The Helios looks good and better vision on it, but thats not a problem.Yellow for outside is about best.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
Agree 100%! I think the best looking v911's I own are the black/orange ones (I'm convinced it was a marketing mistake and they would've sold even more black v911's if they had introduced the red/white & blue/white ones first). But the black/orange ones are the hardest ones for me to see past 30 or 40 feet also.
Yeah, I had real problems telling orientation against a backdrop of trees at my local park. I ended up converting my black/orange into a red one so that I could see it better.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member